Some annoying, some that could be useful and some that are buggy things.

I'm a bit lazy to make multiple topics over and over again for multiple things that I have in mind, just to categorise them. I've listed a lot of these things before in posts of other topics, but it doesn't seem like devs have taken any notice yet. Some of my listed things here are suggestions, some are bugs and some might be annoying things that might or might not be convenient/not inconvenient for single player, but inconvenient for multiplayer:

* When using telelocator staff, it starts to rain for a LONG time. This is convenient and exploitative for Summer, but for other seasons, it's very inconvenient, especially if you use it to "explore" like my sister did >_>

* Chester or any other type of follower drags the player down. It is inconvenient if those mobs have to teleport to the player later on; say if chester has items crucial for hound attacks stored in him, and the player holding his eyebone runs on the road with a walking cane, then for a while chester will not be near the player. This could be very bad if at that time a hound attack occurs and the player has less time to prepair. So, what I'm suggesting is that Chester and other followers should follow the player at the speed of whatever the speed the player they're following is, so if a player is moving at the speed of 7, so will his/her followers, if the player is moving at the speed of 8, then so will his/her followers and the same for each follower, meaning that this way the followers will catch up to the player and will be near the player when the player needs them to be near him/her the most.

* Seeds turning into rot and giving free fuel/fertiliser to players in mid or late game. While it's convenient, people tend to rely on it too much, which requires basically no effort to gain at all in any way. It is better if unstacked and uncooked seeds dropped on the ground could act as a way of renewing stuff in the world, such ad berry bushes, saplings and grass, or whatever the said biome they're on initially contained. So if it's a rocky biome, a boulder, flint or a rock could have a chance to spawn respectively to the default amount of that item/structure or whatever in the said biome/turf.

* Gmoose eggs not hatching in Spring. I've reported this in the bugs section mutliple times, I think, but this bug has still not been fixed; if in the first Spring you have a Gmoose hatches an egg, then that egg will probably not hatch until it is hammered or until the next Spring, however in the next Spring the Gmoose will lay another egg, meaning that after the first Spring, you could still get Down feathers in other seasons by hammering the egg and this also means that Down feathers would become more common and ultimately would be too much. They become so common in fact, that a stack of Down feathers is nothing compared to 1 gear in late and possibly mid game.

* Scarcity of gears. I've mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again, since devs did not take any notice, even though it's crucial that gears need a more reliable renewable resource to them. I'd suggest that on each full moon, where a clockwork has been killed, it would respawn in its spawn (be it rook, bishop or knight) so that gears can be gained without trying to get the jackpot from the tumbleweed cash machine. Now, it might not be that bad if we didn't have WX players, because unless gears are more abundant, players tend to not give gears to WX players because of how rarely you can get them. And for those who say "it would make him OP", well then what the heck is the point for WX having this ability in the first place if it's not gonna be used by said character players for that specific reason?

* Has anyone else noticed that there are no roads in caves (SP DS)? I'd suggest that caves, when implemented into DST have some. May be not the brick road ones, but the path ones could fit in well.

* Rain in caves. While some suggest that it's because of the rain going through the soil into the caves and causing it to pour in there, I call bullshit on that one. For one, the layers between overworld and caves are clearly covered in massive amounts of rocks, since they do fall down into the caves during earthquakes and secondly, even if the only thing between overworld and caves technically was soil, it would still not be so thin as to cause pouring of the water into the caves. Not to mention that a lot of the water logically speaking would be absorbed by the roots of plants, trees in particular. I'd suggest that to make it more realistic, there could be rain falling into the caves only near the entrances and for the rest of the cave, there would be certain spots where droplets of the rain come in in small amounts. And what's with it raining all the time there in Spring? If in the overworld that doesn't happen 100% of the time, then why should it happen in caves? Better and more logical would be if the rain fell down there at the time of rain and only then.

* When hammering a Gmoose egg during the day, the working music of the said season will keep looping until you exit and enter the server again. Simple as that. Annoying and should be dealt with, since it's clearly a bug.

• Developer
* When hammering a Gmoose egg during the day, the working music of the said season will keep looping until you exit and enter the server again. Simple as that. Annoying and should be dealt with, since it's clearly a bug.

An egg. An egg bug, bug egg.

* Has anyone else noticed that there are no roads in caves (SP DS)? I'd suggest that caves, when implemented into DST have some. May be not the brick road ones, but the path ones could fit in well.

I think caves shouldn't have roads, they are caves after all. Having them on the surface manages to make some lick of sense. However, I agree with most your other ideas. I hate losing Chester, specifically because he never teleports on my world and if he's too far off screen he gives up and stops coming after me, so i have to go get him.

Chester or any other type of follower drags the player down. It is inconvenient if those mobs have to teleport to the player later on; say if chester has items crucial for hound attacks stored in him, and the player holding his eyebone runs on the road with a walking cane, then for a while chester will not be near the player. This could be very bad if at that time a hound attack occurs and the player has less time to prepair. So, what I'm suggesting is that Chester and other followers should follow the player at the speed of whatever the speed the player they're following is, so if a player is moving at the speed of 7, so will his/her followers, if the player is moving at the speed of 8, then so will his/her followers and the same for each follower, meaning that this way the followers will catch up to the player and will be near the player when the player needs them to be near him/her the most.

I always keep weapons handy in my own inventory and put the eyebone in my backpack so If I hear a hound wave coming, I drop the bag, effectively leaving Chester (and also EA-lavae and Glommer) in that spot, take out my weapons and armor and move to a safer spot...

but yeah, having them lag behind you is the drawback to having a portable chest, a floating ball of adorable sanity-regen, and an extra adorable infinite camp fire...

O__O

I have no opinion regarding the telelocator staff.  I don't use it, so I don't have enough experience with the rainfall it causes.

Follower speed, seeds and mgoose eggs: I agree completely.  Heck, the challenge with rotten seeds is finding a way to use it as fast as they appear so you don't need to build more chests to store it all.

Gears are fine as it is in DS, especially since you can turn clockworks up.  But in Together, where you can't always anticipate how many WX-78s there will be and they lose upgrades when they die (and there's a lot of newbies dying all the time) I can see the need.  But striking a balance so there's enough gears with a lot of WXes and not too many with none is a challenge, and for better or worse the tumbleweed lottery scales to the number of people playing it.  Maybe the % chance of gears could go up a bit, double to 2% maybe?  Maybe some other solution that scales to the number of players, takes some effort, and rewards fewer gears on average than tumbleweeds but with more reliability?  Maybe WX's high potential stats should be seen as a reward for long-term survival instead of a birthright?  Most other characters get by with 150 health somehow.  

For cave roads, bring some cobblestones and a pitchfork.

As for cave rain... let me split this answer into two parts:

First, the practical: Since when has cave rain been a problem?  I'm speaking as someone who has spent the past few weeks exploring four different caves primarily in spring.  I have mined every rock and killed every batilisk, spider, depths worm and tentacle in three and a half caves and rain was not anything more than a minor inconvenience.  I just bring waterproof clothes along and wear them some of the time.  Wetness doesn't even do anything below 35, so I just... put on an eyebrella before it rises to 35?  Or a miner hat and an umbrella.  And if I'm worried about putting my lantern down to mine and it being wet when I pick it up again after, I just take two along and switch to the dry one.  I can even use fire pits as reusable drying stations, but I very seldom resort to that.

Second, the question of "why" and realism.  Water doesn't just pour through the skylights, it seeps through the earth.  That's how stalactites and stalagmites form; sediments deposited by water dripping from the cave ceiling.  It rains constantly in the caves because it takes a long time to filter through a considerable amount of rock, so a couple days of pouring rain and a couple sunny days have averaged out to a slow, constant drip.

Rain in caves. While some suggest that it's because of the rain going through the soil into the caves and causing it to pour in there, I call bullshit on that one

Go into a real cave while its constantly / regularly raining. You will experience there air humidity up to 100%.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/5813/caves-and-100-humidity-protection

Actually an umbrella and anything else shouldn't help realistically, but we are in DST world ;-) - and the drops you see, just showing a higher humidity, that warns you becoming wet. In other seasons its not like that, so I think the 'rain in caves' is well designed.

I am just against of nerfin cave rain. It just one season and not hard to deal with. Only cosmetics would be changed though i dont care about that. I mean it may look as you said but still should increase the wetness bar same amount..

For gears, gears are all around in normal DS, cuz there are lotta ruins so you can easily get. But for dst, idk. wx-78 is not really advantageous its true.

About chester. For DS, my tactics was always leaving chester somewhere if there is an upcoming hound attack but this is not practical for multiplayer especially if you are playing in a dedicated server with buncha people who you dont really know well, other people will grab his eyebone if you leave chester to somewhere. So chester should teleport. I guess this is changed and for some reason they rolled back the change.

Seeds - rot - world regen relation. Idk. Seems unnecessary. In mid to late game you have a lot from everything. Poop too. You can have 60 80 poops or more in a chest in mid game.. Especially in late game you got a chest of every material. A stack of gland and everything. I mean making a program to relate rot and world regen seems uncessary and time consuming for devs. Cuz this time the places tend to produce more rot such as spider dens, tallbird nest etc, will be inaccessible... Think about this, a spider den will be swarmed with berry bushes after 4000 days..

For caves, I dont really know if road is necessary in caves, cuz its simply caves, but would be quicker to explore, the most weird thing about caves is abyss biome.. Just makes no sense, instead of having walls, you got abyss biome in every boundary..

I really don't get how raining in caves makes sense. Dripping is plausible, but heavy rain not so much. I was thinking that there could be multiple places the water drips in caves, so you could even see like 10 places where water drips on yoyr screen and each place would give you a bit of wetness (-1 health if you're WX as well) each time a water drop drips down. Near the entrances it would still be heavy rain though. This would be more logical and less annoyong. Because if you get wet in caves, your sanity will go down along with the sanity drain you already get from being in the caves at all, you could be freezing occasionally and if fully wet, you could drop down your weapon when fighting. The difficulty of caves makes up for the weather being less of a problem there, except during Spring. An eyebrella takes up a head slot and rain coat takes up torso slot, which could otherwise be used for miner hats, backpacks, log suits and football helmets. Because of the rain problem I don't go into caves during Spring, but only Autumn, which sucks. Spring might not be the hardest season on the surface but down the caves it is, as Winter and Summer can simply dealt with via thermal stone which does not require you to equip it but just keep it in your inventory. The "challenge" is a challenge but it's stupid and illogical. Either the rain just drips in the caves as I described or this is gonna be the most game-logic feature to exist in the game.

The only thing stupid and illogical here is you.

You were already given methods to fight the rain in the caves.

Which is not even the hard rain of Spring, it's like the medium rain of Autumn but with longer duration.

You know you can switch equipment when you are going to fight, right?

Instead of running around with a log suit, a football helmet, and a lantern, like a moron, put on something waterproof.

Or take 15 seconds to make a campfire, equip your waterproof stuff, and drop moisture from 100 to 0.

I believe the rot regeneration was only meant to apply to rotting seeds, not spider meat and neglected small birds.  Tallbirds are such terrible parents.

And as for abyss biome, anybody who remembers what caves were like when they had walls (or just watched it on YouTube, in my case) knows why that's there.  Even worse when you consider the lazy explorer: how do you take advantage of teleportation if you can't see where you want to go?  Speaking of which, there's really only one thing I want fixed in caves, and that's islands that don't connect to anywhere else.  Especially islands that contain the ruins sinkhole.  Cave #3 can't be explored fully until I get a lazy explorer or make a mod to jump the gap.

I really don't get how raining in caves makes sense. Dripping is plausible, but heavy rain not so much. I was thinking that there could be multiple places the water drips in caves, so you could even see like 10 places where water drips on yoyr screen and each place would give you a bit of wetness (-1 health if you're WX as well) each time a water drop drips down. Near the entrances it would still be heavy rain though. This would be more logical and less annoyong. Because if you get wet in caves, your sanity will go down along with the sanity drain you already get from being in the caves at all, you could be freezing occasionally and if fully wet, you could drop down your weapon when fighting. The difficulty of caves makes up for the weather being less of a problem there, except during Spring. An eyebrella takes up a head slot and rain coat takes up torso slot, which could otherwise be used for miner hats, backpacks, log suits and football helmets. Because of the rain problem I don't go into caves during Spring, but only Autumn, which sucks. Spring might not be the hardest season on the surface but down the caves it is, as Winter and Summer can simply dealt with via thermal stone which does not require you to equip it but just keep it in your inventory. The "challenge" is a challenge but it's stupid and illogical. Either the rain just drips in the caves as I described or this is gonna be the most game-logic feature to exist in the game.

I go to ruins and caves in spring too. And not really hard to deal with. You can go with eyebrella, lantern and backpack. Sanity can easily be increased with green mushrooms or blue caps in caves (or tam o shanter, switch with eyebrella if your wetness increases and take a camp fire break to dry yourself). Your best bet is to build a base in ruins and caves so you can take bunch of honey from surface and can make taffy there (you cannot make jerky in spring in caves and ruins cuz its always raining, meat that are hung wont turn into jerkies till summer). But it is manageable. I would never had an issue with cave rain.

Summer is already nerfed in caves and ruins. It is same for winter.. Also you will have a snow chester which really makes too easy to survive in summer in any place in dont starve world. Winters are also easy especially in ruins. Your thermal stone does not get cold easily, so you are.

I mean if spring would be nerfed like summer and winter, living in ruins would be the easiest thing... No boss, too easy summer and winter, dumb depths worms that you can kill easily with couple of rock lobsters (you do not even need to deal with them like hound attacks on surface.

Sanity can easily be increased with green mushrooms or blue caps in caves. Your best bet is to build a base in ruins and caves so you can take bunch of honey from surface and can make taffy there (you cannot make jerky in spring cuz its always raining, meat that are hung wont turn into jerkies till summer).

Not even honey for taffy or jerky.

Rain makes mushrooms grow back, so you are going to have a lot of mushrooms.

Not even honey for taffy or jerky.

Rain makes mushrooms grow back, so you are going to have a lot of mushrooms.

well i was actually talking about making a base in ruins. In every world i make a base down there as big as my surface base. Sometimes I never go to surface and survive a whole year down there (generally doing this in middle to late game). So in that case, you cannot have honey cuz no beeboxes work down there but you can make a tent and sleep in ruins anytime to regain sanity. Food is a lot in ruins thanks to depths worms.. You can make pig houses to get meat (pig houses and ice flingo combo) light the pig house, will force pig to go out. Feed him 4 monster meat to get 2 meat. you can make countless bacon and eggs. You will have food and tent. you will never ever have an issue living there forever.

and ofcourse jerky in the seasons other than spring really helpful to keep your sanity up.

I go to ruins and caves in spring too. And not really hard to deal with. You can go with eyebrella, lantern and backpack. Sanity can easily be increased with green mushrooms or blue caps in caves (or tam o shanter, switch with eyebrella if your wetness increases and take a camp fire break to dry yourself). Your best bet is to build a base in ruins and caves so you can take bunch of honey from surface and can make taffy there (you cannot make jerky in spring in caves and ruins cuz its always raining, meat that are hung wont turn into jerkies till summer). But it is manageable. I would never had an issue with cave rain.

Summer is already nerfed in caves and ruins. It is same for winter.. Also you will have a snow chester which really makes too easy to survive in summer in any place in dont starve world. Winters are also easy especially in ruins. Your thermal stone does not get cold easily, so you are.

I mean if spring would be nerfed like summer and winter, living in ruins would be the easiest thing... No boss, too easy summer and winter, dumb depths worms that you can kill easily with couple of rock lobsters (you do not even need to deal with them like hound attacks on surface.

Oh my god!!! I don't give a **** about the challenge! Apply logic here goddamit!

Now that I got my anger out, I'll make a decent response, even though I don't have to because challenge, as I said before isn't what should be aimed for if it breaks the laws of logic or science or whatever. If you're gonna go to the ruins making campfires to get dry every so often, that'll mean that 2 (grass and logs) or at least 1 more inventory slot is taken (logs, since grass could be taken for stuff like torches just in case) and it would make making Night Lights in the ruins even less useful. As I said before, I am not complaining about the challenge as much as I complain about the logic of it. If it was scientifically plausible, then fine, but since it's NOT then dripping instead of buckets and buckets of rain is what's necessary for the levels. And you know what, if you want more challenge, just make yourself an endless Winter in total darkness with bosses and mknsters set to lots and all the good stuff set to less. There's a challenge for you, you annoying "but muh challenge!" person!

• Developer
Apply logic here goddamit!

Let us also remove tallbirds from the game, then. Don't kill me Weirdo, pls.

Let us also remove the walruses from the game, and the hounds, and the gigantic bees, and the lureplants, and the door to adventure mode, and the magic items, and the...

Maxwell materializes clouds to drop water on you, so you can't escape from the seasons on the caves.

There, "logic". The clouds are magical and they follow you.

There is no science, or no 2 layers of dense rock, or 3x3 density of nutella stalagmites.

Stop this stupidity.

Let us also remove tallbirds from the game, then. Don't kill me Weirdo, pls.

Let us also remove the walruses from the game, and the hounds, and the gigantic bees, and the lureplants, and the door to adventure mode, and the magic items, and the...

Are you seriously trying to justify cave rain by saying that these mobs in the game make no sense? These things are at least living. Honestly, they would be possible if evolution decided to make them evolve that way. Cave rain, on the other hand makes no sense whatsoever! So there's some science and logic for you!

Maxwell materializes clouds to drop water on you, so you can't escape from the seasons on the caves.

There, "logic". The clouds are magical and they follow you.

There is no science, or no 2 layers of dense rock, or 3x3 density of nutella stalagmites.

Stop this stupidity.

That... is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The only reason devs put rain in there is because of "challenge", they don't have any logical or scientific explanation as to why that happens there.

• Developer
they don't have any logical or scientific explanation as to why that happens there.

Then give me a logical and scientific explanation about the hallucination monsters and how they exist.

While you're at it, do tell me how Maxwell and Charlie got teleported to the DS "Island" through a book and how Charlie became a bodyless monster.

And, uhh... I didn't hear your explanation about the magic items...

Then give me a logical and scientific explanation about the hallucination monsters and how they exist.

While you're at it, do tell me how Maxwell and Charlie got teleported to the DS "Island" through a book and how Charlie became a bodyless monster.

And, uhh... I didn't hear your explanation about the magic items...

Oh for crying out loud... Okay, so it's Magic. And? But the rain in caves doesn't have anything to do with it as we know of. It's not like Maxwell makes a cloud follow you all the time above your head into the caves as if you're that Snowman from Frozen. That would be retardously stupid! In all honesty, magic here is considered as another level of science, kind of like dimensions relate to each other. But as I stated earlier, the rain in caves would be ridiculously illogical and would be weird even for DS world. Besides, Maxwell created the world with magic, but so that it functions scientifically instead of some sort of spaghetty monster controlling every single mob, plant and weather change for all the DS worlds.

And what's the problem with the water just dripping into the caves instead of raining? Why wouldn't you want that when it makes more sense? Sure, it will take away a bit of challenge, but considering it that there would be a bunch of places where water could drip on your head and you running along the way minding your own business might as well get wet from that, if say each time you get a water drop on your head you get +1 on your wetness meter if you're not using any rain protectective items (with which the wetness would either go up by smaller amount, depending on the item's resistance to rain when you get hit by the dripping of water on your head or you not getting wet at all if you have 100% protection from rain in one way or another).

Archived