Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

WillPwn4Food

Losing Interest for Lack of Giants

Recommended Posts

WillPwn4Food    295

I've been in my world for over 3 years and had only one non-GMoose encounter. Could anyone please tell me the spawning conditions for the other giants? I know they typically come mid to late season, but does it make a difference if I hang by my base or go exploring? I've tried both (waiting from them to come to me, trying to find them myself). Is it a roll of the dice? Are they "wandering" around the world in an unspawned state until I get close and trigger the warning growls? Does it have to do with the world entities around you during a certain window of the season (like the GMoose?)? Please, I don't want to lose interest in this game, but I don't know how much longer I will be playing with this continuous disappointment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soto8969    2015
I've been in my world for over 3

 

Reign of Giants come out 2014, one year ago. and your world you say its 3 years old. Maybe your world don't have activated the DLC.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShnarfBird    46

The only way I am aware of is to spawn them in yourself, using the command c_spawn followed by the name in quotes, ex: c_spawn "deerclops"

 

 

Reign of Giants come out 2014, one year ago. and your world you say its 3 years old. Maybe your world don't have activated the DLC.

 

 

If the Moose shows up, evidently the DLC is active.

And 'year' could be referring to 365 in-game days, or a loop of the seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WillPwn4Food    295

@Soto8969 It's over three full 4-season cycles old. And I have encountered the GMoose so the giants are on (the only adjustment I made to the world generation is starting in Autumn).

 

@ShnarfBird I know I could spawn them in, but part of the challenge is racing to prep before they show up. It would feel too fabricated IMO to spawn them in, whether when I had already prepared or as if they were catching me off guard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Soto8969 It's over three full 4-season cycles old. And I have encountered the GMoose so the giants are on (the only adjustment I made to the world generation is starting in Autumn).

 

@ShnarfBird I know I could spawn them in, but part of the challenge is racing to prep before they show up. It would feel too fabricated IMO to spawn them in, whether when I had already prepared or as if they were catching me off guard

Are you not already prepped after three years??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WillPwn4Food    295

Are you not already prepped after three years??

 

I am, but I'm not constantly carrying around my top tier fighting items while going about my daily business.

 

For example with the dragonfly (he just showed up finally on my 4th summer), I had to race back to my camp to grab my stuff before he spawned and then get to a good fighting spot where everything I owned wouldn't be lit on fire. For the Deerclops, he caught me off guard away from my base at night and I had to lead him around until sunrise and then race to my sleeping darts in my base to put him to sleep before he started crushing my structures, after which I equipped my fighting gear and took him on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rilay    6

Changing the giants to "more" instead of the default setting will insure the giants spawn in their season 100% of the time. With default there is a 67% chance of the giants spawning. With "less" there is a 33% chance, and on "lots" the giants spawn out of their respective seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing the giants to "more" instead of the default setting will insure the giants spawn in their season 100% of the time. With default there is a 67% chance of the giants spawning. With "less" there is a 33% chance, and on "lots" the giants spawn out of their respective seasons.

Hmm, from my experience this isn't true. I have a world with all giants set to "more", and have survived for over 200 days, yet all I've seen is two M'Gooses. I didn't even get to fight one of them, because it spawned right between the beefalos, during mating season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emerphish    242

Hmm, from my experience this isn't true. I have a world with all giants set to "more", and have survived for over 200 days, yet all I've seen is two M'Gooses. I didn't even get to fight one of them, because it spawned right between the beefalos, during mating season...

That doesn't sound like more to me. I have seen the seasonal giant practically every single season on normal settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't sound like more to me. I have seen the seasonal giant practically every single season on normal settings.

 

Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm playing on ps vita. I've been wondering if something is wrong with the giant spawn system in there. I've tried normal, more and lots, and so far I saw the following results:

 

Normal: M'Moose spawns generally once a year, other giants may spawn, but chances are pretty small.

more: M'Moose tends to spawn once every spring, the other giants don't seem to appear at all.

lots: M'Moose spams the freaking world, appearing mostly every season, while other giants don't seem to spawn at all.

When M'Moose is set to normal, while the others are set to lots, none of them spawn, until spring, where M'Moose decides to jump in, and may be followed by a team of the three other giants.

 

But this may just be a problem with the ps vita version. I don't know how things go on the pc version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emerphish    242

Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm playing on ps vita. I've been wondering if something is wrong with the giant spawn system in there. I've tried normal, more and lots, and so far I saw the following results:

 

Normal: M'Moose spawns generally once a year, other giants may spawn, but chances are pretty small.

more: M'Moose tends to spawn once every spring, the other giants don't seem to appear at all.

lots: M'Moose spams the freaking world, appearing mostly every season, while other giants don't seem to spawn at all.

When M'Moose is set to normal, while the others are set to lots, none of them spawn, until spring, where M'Moose decides to jump in, and may be followed by a team of the three other giants.

 

But this may just be a problem with the ps vita version. I don't know how things go on the pc version.

That does sound like a bug. The first season I spawn in aside, I will get the seasonal gaint usually 2 or 3 times a year, without changing settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound like a bug. The first season I spawn in aside, I will get the seasonal gaint usually 2 or 3 times a year, without changing settings.

 

Hmm, maybe time to take a look at the engine of the giant edition. I might actually post it in the bug report section. Would love to see more giants, both because they're fun to fight, and for their loot :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Odal    4

I thought Moose Goose required you be around some tech like Alchemy machine and crockpots and stuff.  Not sure how accurate that is since even the wiki is pretty bad at information regarding this game, but I always just accepted it because I've only seen him once ever.  Also I think the condition on default is that he spawns once during the start of spring, meaning the first few days.  I never see him because I'm always happy to be able to wander more freely at the beginning of spring and I spend a lot less time at my base.  This may explain why people haven't seen Moose Goose much compared to other giants since it has a time window as well as a character placement requirement.

 

Dragonfly on the other hand: How do you go four summers before seeing him?  I've never gotten away with even one summer without seeing him :(  That's one giant that always deletes my world via burning EVERYTHING down.  I don't want to cop out by turning him off, but I wouldn't mind going a summer or three without seeing him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeadenStik    22

WARNING: Wiki info inbound.

 

Deerclops requires you having at least two structures he can destroy near you, which he will aggro on. The Goose/Moose spawns "if you have three or more base structures built relatively close to each other", and I am pretty sure you just need food for the Bearger to spawn. Not sure what the Dragonfly requirements are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grekon    171

This is just my personal experience but you should just stay in your base and wait for them to come. They will spawn at the end of each season if you are surrounded by structures. The only exception is Moose/Goose that spawns at the beginning of the season. Whenever I want the scale from the dragonfly or the eye from deerclops I just wait in my base at the end of the season. They usually come, at least for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
orian34    534

I have yet to miss a giant that isn't the Moose. In fact, I've never even seen the Moose.

if you play with "lots" for all the giants, it ends up really funny if you try to sleep while a giant is coming. You can easily end up with a battle royale of the four at the same time :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites