Why is everyone so angry and hostile?

And I myself can confirm this, as more nicer people have been those who are not from the UK, US or any country that has more strict rules.

I cannot comment on the type of countries or cultural backgrounds, but I also observed this. Playing in US and UK servers is more dangerous than "others".

Even if the user spike after June 3 increased the chances of being griefed in my usual haunts, it's still not as worse as those two regions mentioned above, where you can barely play without someone logging in and wrecking things.

My experience was from 2014, before the floodgates opened. I shudder to think how much crazier it is in those servers now.

I cannot comment on the type of countries or cultural backgrounds, but I also observed this. Playing in US and UK servers is more dangerous than "others".

Even if the user spike after June 3 increased the chances of being griefed in my usual haunts, it's still not as worse as those two regions mentioned above, where you can barely play without someone logging in and wrecking things.

My experience was from 2014, before the floodgates opened. I shudder to think how much crazier it is in those servers now.

I am not the only one <:3

Well, DS is made in America and most people who play the game are ought to be from America and because of all the fascism going on in many places of America, it's no wonder that people are so criminal and selfish.

--snip--

And I myself can confirm this, as more nicer people have been those who are not from the UK, US or any country that has more strict rules.

LOL, Klei is in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm incredibly insulted by this first statement. Stereotype much? Countries with large populations and/or land mass can't be recapitulated as a whole, and instead need to be examined on a per-capita basis.

While I agree to some extent with the latter statement, I don't think it's true across the board... it's a perception unique to each of us, and is influenced by play style, play mode, what time we're online and how many others are, etc. etc.

I would understand why in PvP people would fight as it many people perceive it as a combat themed mode, where as griefers do some crap stuff for like a minute and then leave. Is this what games have become? Wreck other peoples' fun when they totally didn't ask for it? Why the hell... Well, DS is made in America and most people who play the game are ought to be from America and because of all the fascism going on in many places of America, it's no wonder that people are so criminal and selfish. Based on a statistic, it is evident that more free countries have less crime rates, so more people are ought to be nicer in such countries and playing this game from there would show a much nicer attitude not only in terms of public PvE but also public PvP if they play this game. And I myself can confirm this, as more nicer people have been those who are not from the UK, US or any country that has more strict rules.
(I'm going to pretend that by America you meant North America, not USA)
sooo, playing on Canadian servers is the perfect answer? 

To tell the truth I only play in private with real live friends if I want co-op survival . It's expected to start killing each other in a public server with PVP ON so its not really that strange . Because PVP ON = expect ppl to play against one another so they can survive longer .

To be fair, though, they're the biggest regions.

LOL, Klei is in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm incredibly insulted by this first statement. Stereotype much? Countries with large populations and/or land mass can't be recapitulated as a whole, and instead need to be examined on a per-capita basis.

While I agree to some extent with the latter statement, I don't think it's true across the board... it's a perception unique to each of us, and is influenced by play style, play mode, what time we're online and how many others are, etc. etc.

Oh, dammit, I forgot that Klei is in Canada and not US. Though there are still many American players on DST servers and Canada is widely influenced by US and is right next to it, so... And I was not generalising it as if every US citizen is a malicious and selfish, I was just implying that because of stricter structure in the country, more people are there to be more likely to be influenced by that and accept that as a norm and in process could potentially become more mallicious and selfish as well.

I think the point that's the most important here is:

Is a little public friendliness too much to ask? It's not hard.

@Ximix: I have noticed a similar pattern, but in Real Life. People here are not very friendly, and can be downright hostile if they have nothing to lose. I hope to change that, but things aren't looking so great...

@1v0: That's no excuse to behave maliciously.

I think the point that's the most important here is:

Is a little public friendliness too much to ask? It's not hard.

@Ximix: I have noticed a similar pattern, but in Real Life. People here are not very friendly, and can be downright hostile if they have nothing to lose. I hope to change that, but things aren't looking so great...

@1v0: That's no excuse to behave maliciously.

My point was that the PVP on/off button is there for a reason . I have been reading the forum not commenting very often but the main problems that I saw so far are - 1 ppl that are mmmm(how to say it more gently) blind and want to play only with their friends but still make public servers then ban everyone that joins in 2 Too many ppl are login in servers just to burn the camp and log off . If i log into a public server i'm going to be friendly as long as others do the same ... no matter PVP on/off . Then again I mainly play with my RL friends so cant comment on the topic really much .

I think servers should be able to have PVE enabled or PVP. In PVE you can't burn crafted items. Walls yes, but not crafted items. In PVP anything should go really if not you end up with 1-2 strong characters that will dominate everything with no way to slow them down, or take them out.

it's funny; there's a sociology paper waiting to be written in here, somewhere.

my SO and i only play together. we create our own little Utopia, and we play it. and that's what is fun for us. it's us against the world (no matter how horrible a world we created for ourselves). one day i forgot to lock it down to friends only and a stranger hopped on. he seemed friendly and everything, but we had to ask him to hop off because we're experiencing lag with only 2 of us running through my laptop; i can't imagine what three or more people would do to rubber-banding.

still, i often think that one day, if we ever create a dedicated server, we may open up one of our Utopias. and see what happens.

there's already even a book based on it. It's called "Lord of the Flies".

The problem is, with the current lack of Winnie, we have no character to represent innocence. Also logic gets a bit dodgy too. I suppose you could use the actual players instead of the characters, and actually right a paper about people, but come on, what is this, sociology?

...oh wait that's what the comment was on wasn't it.

I think your mistake is that you think this game is a cooperative game, and when people don't cooperate, or are openly hostile, it contradicts that expectation and frustrates you. But the truth is that, while the game can certainly be played in a cooperative manner with the right group, it is actually designed to be played more like Hunger Games: a contest to see who can survive the longest.

So change your attitude and your play-style. Join the server as early as possible (preferably day 1). This ensures that there are still plenty of resources as well as untapped set pieces. Stick to yourself, explore the map early on as much as possible and hoard as many resources as possible (especially rare stuff like gears), then go build your base in a secluded corner of the map away from wormholes and roads. If you're able to secure Chester and Glommer for yourself, even better.

Here is where it gets fun: a few days before winter, venture out and raid other people's camps when they are foraging and hunting. Steal half the food in their fridge (not all of it, or they will know something is up), and most (but again, not all) of the critical and difficult-to-replenish resources such as gold, wool and silk. This is much easier to do when the camp belongs to a group, because then they all blame each other. Reading "dammit, we're going through food way too fast" in chat never gets old. If someone sees you when you're going through chests and fridges, make sure to say hi and act friendly, pretend to trivially contribute by doing things like adding fuel to the fire pit, and maybe even give them an item or two that are "extras" to earn their trust. The moment they leave you alone though, be gone with the wind.

Having their wool and silk stolen dooms most groups, because without those two items, they can't craft winter clothing or build tents to manage their sanity. They can't go out to get more food either, and you stole half of what they had in the fridge, so... yeah. A few days into winter the entire camp should have died and left the server, so you can go back to their camp and loot whatever items they left behind.

It really helps if you're active in chat this entire time, because quiet players get blamed first when someone notices sabotage or theft. Be helpful and friendly, but only on the surface. If someone asks if anyone has found beefalos, speak up and give them wrong directions. If after a while they say there aren't any beefalos there, apologize and say you must have accidentally rotated your map. Most people will sympathize and understand. But your goal is to deliberately misdirect people and cause them to waste their time while you efficiently collect resources and build up your base for winter. Remember: it's a contest.

One note regarding my suggestion to join servers early. You may be wondering, "if I'm going to steal other people's resources, why is joining early important?" The reason is simple: late-comers are always viewed with suspicion and disdain. Especially if you join on Day 15 or later, people will assume that you're either new or must have come to burn down bases. On top of that, joining early allows you to explore the map as much as possible, tap set pieces, find unique items like Chester and identify a good spot for your own base. You can't do those things if you join later.

Hope this helps. May the gods be forever in your favor.  :friendly_wink:

LOL pls team up with me sometime

Easy. Make it so everyone on server has to vote to give someone the boot. At least then you'll prepare yourself as you'll have plenty of time noticing the haters spam chat with "Evry1 vote 2 kik dis noob!"

Grab all your valuables, burn all their camps and rejoice as you go out with a bang. 

Note: my advice is only intended for those unfairly being kicked off a server. No gobblers were harmed in the making of this post. 

Archived