Why has Dragonfly been made nearly invincible, and how do I go about getting its scales?

138 Gunpowder will one shot her. That or you can grab a team of about 3-4 people with about 3 sets of armour each and just tank it. A good tip is to wall of the magma pools so that when the Lavae spawn they can't get to you. 

Of course using the Gunpowder route will require a lot of timing and sleep darts, pan flutes, sleepytime stories'. Now that I think about it I haven't tried Ash yet.. I just assumed that wouldn't put her to sleep anymore. Well if it does then Ash would work too. 

She's not a hard boss, she's just tanky.

Well, you don't have to kill it to get scales anymore. Doing 1250 damage within 5 seconds stuns it, and then doing 2500 while it's stunned will drop scales. So you can do one detonation of 7 gunpowder (or 6 gunpowder and smacking it a couple of times), and then one detonation of 13 (or 12 + a few hits).

It's definitely possible to hit those thresholds through normal combat, but you'll need four people (maybe doable with 2-3 fully fed Wolfgangs too).

138 Gunpowder will one shot her. That or you can grab a team of about 3-4 people with about 3 sets of armour each and just tank it. A good tip is to wall of the magma pools so that when the Lavae spawn they can't get to you. 

Of course using the Gunpowder route will require a lot of timing and sleep darts, pan flutes, sleepytime stories'. Now that I think about it I haven't tried Ash yet.. I just assumed that wouldn't put her to sleep anymore. Well if it does then Ash would work too. 

She's not a hard boss, she's just tanky.

A group of 5 people and myself (most wigfrid, myself Woodie) were armed and amored ready to fight her. It was a disaster to say the least. We prepped enough amulets to revive a full server at least twice and had to use most of them to beat her. I also assume that is because we suck at fighting her and did not know the larvae strategy at the time. Are there any other useful tips on killing her?

@jgoldyn, Not many that I know of. As far as I can tell she's next to impossible to kite at the moment so if you are going to fight her remember that you're in it for the long haul, there literally is no running because if you do run she'll chase you down until she gets out of range of the arena at which point she despawns and respawns in the arena with full health. It's kill or be killed.

Some people like to use the Flingomatic method on her. Building one or more Flingo's around the arena which will shoot whenever they detect fire, their shots can be used to freeze incoming Lavae or the Dragonfly herself. 

An ideal team would be a Wickerbottom and any amount of fighters. The wicker is simply there for an emergency escape plan since she can use Sleepytime Stories to put Dragonfly to sleep so that the team can retreat out of her range without her chasing them and despawning, that way when they've healed up and re-armed to pick up the fight again the Dragonfly still has the same health as when they ran.

EDIT: Also Dragonfly has an Insanity aura around her so it's advised to use Dark Swords and Night Armour since either way your sanity will probably be 0 when the fight is over.

@jgoldyn, Not many that I know of. As far as I can tell she's next to impossible to kite at the moment so if you are going to fight her remember that you're in it for the long haul, there literally is no running because if you do run she'll chase you down until she gets out of range of the arena at which point she despawns and respawns in the arena with full health. It's kill or be killed.

Some people like to use the Flingomatic method on her. Building one or more Flingo's around the arena which will shoot whenever they detect fire, their shots can be used to freeze incoming Lavae or the Dragonfly herself. 

An ideal team would be a Wickerbottom and any amount of fighters. The wicker is simply there for an emergency escape plan since she can use Sleepytime Stories to put Dragonfly to sleep so that the team can retreat out of her range without her chasing them and despawning, that way when they've healed up and re-armed to pick up the fight again the Dragonfly still has the same health as when they ran.

That's a neat strategy, thanks! Yeah when we did that I stocked everyone with an ice staff to freeze her from time to time to heal, as well as bringing the pan flute, but it was a nightmare. I will have to try that ice flingomatic strategy sometime, thank you.

EDIT: Also Dragonfly has an Insanity aura around her so it's advised to use Dark Swords and Night Armour since either way your sanity will probably be 0 when the fight is over.

She shouldn't have the insanity aura. The devs said that since we have to take the battle to the Dragonfly, they felt the insanity aura was a bit unfair and removed it from the Dragonfly. Doesn't make the Night Armour a bad idea though. I think the dominant strategy is to get a few Scale Mails with the gunpowder trick, and use those with the Morning Stars while it is raining.

Just to be clear, does the dragonfly every come to attack you durring summer, or does it just sit around it's arena year round?

It sits around. It is supposed to be a raid style boss fight.

1. She has a chance to get "stuck" if you *bleep*
  2. Then you can just tank her for a few but this will get her unstuck and would go for a lavae spawn spit
  3. that's when you *bleep* and she will do her ground pound... then you just have to repeat step 1

*bleep*

(too afraid to tell this method because they might "fix" it :3)

*evil laugh*

1. She has a chance to get "stuck" if you *bleep*
  2. Then you can just tank her for a few but this will get her unstuck and would go for a lavae spawn spit
  3. that's when you *bleep* and she will do her ground pound... then you just have to repeat step 1

*bleep*

(too afraid to tell this method because they might "fix" it :3)

*evil laugh*

So the better idea was to censor everything like a X rated movie?

The way she has been "buffed" is stupid and cheap. It's health needs to be rebalanced.

"Raid Boss". 'nuff said.

Alright, more: a nice way for random players (if not friends) to cooperate and achieve a goal: To come together to defeat the strongest mob in the game

result: an exhale of relief and feeling of victory (if done legitimately) and a feeling of camaraderie for however brief.

I like it. the loot needs work though :)

*gets off soapbox and takes the bus home*

The way she has been "buffed" is stupid and cheap. It's health needs to be rebalanced.
"Raid Boss". 'nuff said.

The way she's buffed (10x health) is still absurd, though. It would take people a while in order to kill her now, 140 Gunpowder, or not.

"Raid Boss". 'nuff said.

Alright, more: a nice way for random players (if not friends) to cooperate and achieve a goal: To come together to defeat the strongest mob in the game

result: an exhale of relief and feeling of victory (if done legitimately) and a feeling of camaraderie for however brief.

I like it. the loot needs work though :)

*gets off soapbox and takes the bus home*

Yes I got that but x10 times its original health is NOT the right way to turn a simple boss in a team challenge

Archived