Don't balance DST around 64 player all randoms free for all servers.

Because judging by the willow changes (Nerfing a character purely because it can troll random player servers) I just found out about, that seems what you are planning on doing, and if you follow this mindset 'till release you're going to water down DS and cut so many corners it won't even be recognizable anymore.

DST should be balanced around 2-6 communicated player Co-Op, not 64 player free for all.

Communication should be a requirement not an option to survive, players should be able to screw each other up if they **** up.

It seems that currently balance is focused on trying to make the best experience for 64 randoms to play on the same server. That's not what the game should be focusing on because that's not what it was created for.

The original DS was loved because it was challenging. It required perfect management and handling of resources and time to survive, DST should epitomize on that instead of trying to make a completely different experience.

You are right , but also wrong , DST is early access  meaning its subject to change , but its us who gives the oppinion right? So I agree with nerfing willow for pvp concerns  , but my ideea si that the game could differentiate the *PVP* and normal survival with a game mode , like , you want a 64 pvp server , load the configuration for changed willow , you want a local coop survival? get the classic characters , I mean , I dont think its that much of a deal if pvp is sepparated from survival in some aspects balancing it?

BUT PLEASE , dont put everything in the same cauldron just because it halfly satisfies both of them.

Communication should be a requirement not an option to survive
Communication, which most of the time requires skype, which requires a second program running and bandwidth, which usually leads to my computer deciding that work is too hard. 

I do agree with most of your point though. But keep in mind that both this willow is better for co-op play(she was not really that good before) and worse for the 64 free-for-all, and AFAIK it's mostly a patchwork job which is going to be completed soon, so it's more balanced for both for now.

DST is not good multiplayer game, PvP is horrible, the only option for it is small private servers up to 6 players that cooperate to survive.

Big public servers will never work for this game.

It should focus more on survival aspect now instead of pushing into direction of big servers. There are better games out there for more PvP oriented survival multiplayer.

DST is in "early-access", which means the game isn't finished. Willow isn't going to stay how she is now, in fact a lof of things are subject to change. As for "64 player servers", that isn't a thing. The most that can run without any major problems is 12, and even then it's absolute chaos. 

"That's not what the game should be focusing on because that's not what it was created for."

This is what erks me. Klei is making the game, not you :p They can focus on whatever they want. 

I'm curious how much you actually know about the changes that have been made to DST.

While I disagree w/ the exact manner that Willow was nerfed, I do understand that some rebalancing must occur for the game to do well as a multiplayer game, such as Woodie's Werebeaver form making things too ridiculously easy when you have a friend or two running around beside you.

Willow's changes are actually a placeholder, though most of those changes will probably end up sticking, imo.

Other than the Willow nerf, most of the rebalancing has actually been done to make the game experience harder to compensate for the higher number of players.

Because judging by the willow changes (Nerfing a character purely because it can troll random player servers) I just found out about, that seems what you are planning on doing, and if you follow this mindset 'till release you're going to water down DS and cut so many corners it won't even be recognizable anymore.

DST should be balanced around 2-6 communicated player Co-Op, not 64 player free for all.

Communication should be a requirement not an option to survive, players should be able to screw each other up if they **** up.

It seems that currently balance is focused on trying to make the best experience for 64 randoms to play on the same server. That's not what the game should be focusing on because that's not what it was created for.

The original DS was loved because it was challenging. It required perfect management and handling of resources and time to survive, DST should epitomize on that instead of trying to make a completely different experience.

I agree with you, changing aspects of how a character used to work in single player when Don't Starve Together is supposed to be like the single player, but with extra players, takes away from what makes Don't Starve Don't Starve. If someone griefs or messes up then they are also ruining things for their themselves long term, so it balances itself out that way. And part of the multiplayer mayhem fun in my mind is putting all these weird and crazy characters, as they are, together in a situation where there is diminishing resources to quarrel over. Nerfing takes away from who they were in single player, and it just feels unnecessary as griefing will happen anyway, and frankly if people want to avoid it then they should play with close friends they can trust, pulling the teeth out of the characters is not the way to go about things and even with friends some amount of griefing would be fun as that is part of the game.

Most balance is that way for now to keep the community playing and testing. It will be further tweaked later on.

EHM how you know all about this? How you know that for example Willow will not stay as it is now and will be changed? Did Klei said something like that?

Isn't TTA (or some new content) coming soon? So they will implement new "DLC" to world where lot of things will change in future? Also i havent seen much changes to gameplay for really long time and it feels that it is "done"

YES pvp is bad at this moment but idk if DST can be good for pvp anyway IMHO

ALSO game is designed for 64 people? Woot? Which change in DST is designed for 64 people? O.o

@t0panka, I can't answer all your other questions but I can direct you to a post Seth made around the time the Willow Changes were implemented. Here's the Change Log of Willow Changes and here is Seth's post concerning the Willow Changes (Open the spoiler with the line Interim Changes). 

I hope that clears up that question about Willow's changes, cheers.

@t0panka, I can't answer all your other questions but I can direct you to a post Seth made around the time the Willow Changes were implemented. Here's the Change Log of Willow Changes and here is Seth's post concerning the Willow Changes (Open the spoiler with the line Interim Changes). 

I hope that clears up that question about Willow's changes, cheers.

Thanks for links ... i read that stuff from Seth when he posted it and again now but he is saying that characters get changes before ROG hit DST so haven't this been done already? Or will they change characters before TTA or other content?

Anyway one big problem with DST future is that we have road map for it that is old and absolete. New road map could clear lot of questions.

PLZ KLEI? .)

Klei's said that they want players to be able to play DST however they want, whether that's cooperating with other players or fighting them for resources or whatever. Changing it to require everyone on the server to cooperate would be against the spirit of the game.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a server with more than maybe 24 players enabled via mods, where the heck did you get 64? That would probably crash everyone's computers if it were filled to even half capacity. (And the most people I've seen actually playing on a server when I was there is... five-ish, regardless of how high the limit is in theory.)

@t0panka, I figured since they haven't removed it yet even after adding RoG into the mix, that it'll be towards the end of the pipeline. But my opinion doesn't reflect the dev's take on it so I totally agree that a new updated Roadmap will help clear up any confusion about the matter at hand. Maybe we can get direct answers on the next devstream about the next Roadmap. We can only hope it's within the next few weeks/month(s). 

Archived