Ever since i started playing i've thought that the game needed defensive structures mainly walls with durrability. here are some of my ideas.

Walls

Walls will block creatures and will lose durrability when attacked, aggresive creatures will randomly attack walls and will attack them if they're angry at a player on the other side if there is no other way to get to them.

Fence requires logs and sticks. Decorative, players, hounds, and spiders can go though.

Basic Wall requires rocks and logs. Low durrability, Flamable.

Basic Gate requires rocks and logs. Low durrability, Flamable, players can go through.

Advanced Wall requires cut stone and planks. Good durrability, Fireproof.

Advanced Gate requires cut stone and planks. Good durrability, Fireproof, players can go through.

Gold Wall requires cut stone and gold nuggets. High durrability, Fireproof.

Gold Gate requires cut stone and gold nuggets. High durrability, Fireproof, players can go through.

Turrets

Turrets will attack aggresive creatures that come within range of it. they need to be mounted on a turret base/tower, the turret is destroyed if the base is destroyed or it runs out of durrability. aggresive creatures will make attemts to destroy the turret if attacked by one.

Basic Turret Base requires rocks and logs. Low durrability, Flamable.

Advanced Turret Base requires cut stone and planks. Good durrability, Fireproof.

Gold Turret Base requires cut stone and gold nuggets. High durrability, Fireproof.

Harpoon Turret requires Spear, cut stone, planks, and gold. Shoots spears at aggresive creatures, low damage, slow reload.

Fire Turret requires Red gem, cut stone, charcoal, and gold. Shoots a burst of fire at aggresive creatures, fire damage, medium reload, Will set things on fire!

Tooth Turret requires Teeth (alot), cut stone, planks, and gold. Shoots teeth at aggresive creatures, low damage, Fast reload.

Net Turret requires Silk (alot), cut stone, planks, and gold. will slow down or immobilize aggresive creatures, no damage, Very slow reload.

Pinecone Turret requires pinecones (alot), Logs, planks, and gold. will shoot pinecones at aggresive creatures, very low damage, medium reload - Suggested by CaptKnuckles

-Maybe the turrets will need to be manned by a player or pigman.

-an ammunition system would be good too, like you open it like a chest and put ammo inside. this gives the harpoon turret, which is very cheap, a small disadvatage to having one since spears arn't stackable. making it so then you want to upgrade to the expensive ones.

Thanks for reading! i hope to see some of these in a future update!

Edited by ManagerOfWar

I like the turrrets, but please, none of them automated - It breaks the "time-line" theme of the game to have automatic turrets. And also, depending on the art design for turrets, it can also either make or break the overall theme.

---

You can have the turrets require "Manning" - The Player need to go inside the turret to use it.

Tower Base materials will determine the durability of the turret - Predators need to destroy the Tower Base to get to the player. This destroys the entire Turret Tower. Until the Tower Base is destroyed, the Player will not take physical damage.

Turret will be an add-on built onto the Tower Base.

To use a different load-out for the Turret, the Player need to load "A minimum amount of ammo" into the turret.

e.g - A stack of 20 tooth = Turret able to fire 20 times, 1 tooth per shot. Tooth Ammo is non-recoverable.

If using Spear as ammo, it can only be fired once. The Spear will take durability damage, but is recoverable.

---

Personally, I don't think this suits the game. I like it but... Nah.

I like the idea of manning the turrets, and maybe pigmen will do it for you and you have to feed them meat often or they'll leave.

and an ammunition system would be good, like you open it like a chest and put ammo inside. this gives the harpoon turret, which is very cheap, a small disadvatage to having one since spears arn't stackable. making it so then you want to upgrade to the expensive ones.

Edited by ManagerOfWar
Worded Incorrectly

I like the idea of pigmen manning the turrets, and maybe you have to feed them meat often or they'll leave.

Kinda off topic but why not just have some sort of a dining table where loyal minions can go and eat food prepared either by yourself or by a Chef Pig?

I highly dislike this idea supporting turtling.Now you can be in your cage,go out after a hound attack,when they come,you run into your gold wall cage and leave turrets do the job.

Then you go out and repeat.

Its called Turtling.And people,you certainly want to turn this game into make your base never go out type,instead of

Survive and dont starve.It makes it lose the point.

The walls will be ingame (Prob. destructive) once pathfinding is in,i think they would be great as long as they will not make the mobs stuck.

I highly dislike this idea supporting turtling.Now you can be in your cage,go out after a hound attack,when they come,you run into your gold wall cage and leave turrets do the job.

Then you go out and repeat.

Its called Turtling.And people,you certainly want to turn this game into make your base never go out type,instead of

Survive and dont starve.It makes it lose the point.

The walls will be ingame (Prob. destructive) once pathfinding is in,i think they would be great as long as they will not make the mobs stuck.

The whole idea behind this is that they have durrability and can be destroyed from monsters attacking it, the turrets are also very expensive and need a constant suply of ammunition. over use the turret will lose durrability and will need to be replaced.

I really like the idea of of Defensive Structures.

And Turrets sound like a great idea in my opinion. They would add a whole new level of planning how to defend your camp from invaders. (Mostly the annoying number of hounds that show up later on )

I believe Kevin has already said we would be getting walls or fences or something of the sort. Not sure on the details behind that. As for turrets, I can't say I like that idea. This isn't a tower defense game and the devs have already made it clear they want to discourage turtling. I think this would only make the turtling problem worse.

Hmmm. Right now I know the Devs are planning to add walls into the game. They mentioned as much after they nerfed/fixed the exploit that let players either use trees or chests to block the pathfinding of enemies who couldn't move through them. Once the Devs improve the AI pathfinding for their monsters to allow them to walk around walls then we'll see them.

As for your suggestions, I know from my own experience that I will build a base camp and stockpile everything I could possibly need. I have decades of gaming history to look back on and see that's how I work. That being said, I personally would just want a simple wooden wall and possibly a second wall, made of stone... at most. I don't think massive defenses and turreted towers suits a game like Don't Starve, and that's because I feel that the game isn't about building fortresses. If it were and you invested a lot of time/effort into building you base you would be awfully disappointed when the time came to abandon it forever, since the Devs have already hinted that to progress in the game you will need to pass through one-way portals. So any base that's built would only be temporary.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Wait..

They require ammo?Yeah...Sure..

1.Kill hounds while weak

2.Make Turrets that use it

3.Kill huge packs of hounds

4.Pick teeth

5.Insert ammunition back

6.Turtle all your way to stars

Also..Even if they get AI ..They will be no match against that.

Walls?No problemo,feed your monster meat to pigs and get them killed,

Collect meat and give to king.

Its..Not bulding a fortress..Its surviving in wilderness....

Wait..

They require ammo?Yeah...Sure..

1.Kill hounds while weak

2.Make Turrets that use it

3.Kill huge packs of hounds

4.Pick teeth

5.Insert ammunition back

6.Turtle all your way to stars

Also..Even if they get AI ..They will be no match against that.

Walls?No problemo,feed your monster meat to pigs and get them killed,

Collect meat and give to king.

Its..Not bulding a fortress..Its surviving in wilderness....

1. Kill hounds while weak

2. Make Turrets that use it

3. Kill huge packs of hounds

4. Pick teeth

5. Turret breaks

6. rebuild using all previously gathered teeth

7. no ammo

It will be very expensive to have the tooth turret for those reasons

Fire turret requires red gem to build and has no more durrability than the others

harpoon turret will need constant reloading since spears don't stack

net turret does no damage

pinecone turret is very low dameage

All of these turrets have their own disadvantages