Maxwell Question

Easiest way to go insane then?

Green mushrooms are probably the easiest way I'd say.  bring extra though, as Maxwell's regeneration is very fast, and there's a good chance you won't have the 4 beard hair before the beardlings revert to normal rabbits.  If possible, plan head, lay a bunch of rabbit traps, and then also bring boomerangs.  Go in after a day or two, before the trapped rabbits starve, but after enough time for a second set of loose rabbits to come out.  Go in, boomerang the loose rabbits, then get the ones in traps.  This will make most efficient use of your 'insane time'.  Or of course you could tray to collect a bunch of loose captive rabbits in a pen.

Green mushrooms are probably the easiest way I'd say.  bring extra though, as Maxwell's regeneration is very fast, and there's a good chance you won't have the 4 beard hair before the beardlings revert to normal rabbits.  If possible, plan head, lay a bunch of rabbit traps, and then also bring boomerangs.  Go in after a day or two, before the trapped rabbits starve, but after enough time for a second set of loose rabbits to come out.  Go in, boomerang the loose rabbits, then get the ones in traps.  This will make most efficient use of your 'insane time'.  Or of course you could tray to collect a bunch of loose captive rabbits in a pen.

Thank you! Finally a good answer lol. I know going insane is how but I just need an easy way into crazy land and a fast way out.   :)

I play Maxwell almost exclusively, I use these methods most of the time:

1. At the start of a new world you can wear the dark sword and night armor to drain at -10/m. Dark Sword drains 20/m so it automatically cancels out Maxwell's regen on equip.

2. You can repeatably jump in a worm hole over an over again which drains 15 per use

3. Wearing the Nightmare Amulet forces total insanity when worn

4. If enough nightmare fuel, spawn enough shadow puppets with codex umbra to lower your sanity cap. Only do this though when you are harvesting large amounts, otherwise there's no profit from the nightmare fuel you use to use codex umbra to begin with.

Another option, if you still need:

Go into ruins. Look for Splumonkeys. Wait for nightmare cycle. Kill shadow Splumonkeys. Each will drop a beardhair, and you don't have to be insane for it to work.  Granted, it requires surviving long enough to explore the caves to the point where you can find the Ruins, and then also survive the Ruins long enough to find Splumonkeys, and then fighting those thieving bastards.  But, it works.

I have NOT played Maxwell, so I can't talk to his ability to handle Ruins and such, but this is the method I had to use with Wigfrid since she never seems to stay insane long enough to farm beardlings.

I apologise in advance if I'm digging graves (posting in an old thread) but I play Maxwell a lot, my longest survived so far 400+ days is with Maxwell. And I don't recommend building a Meat Effigy with him as he has only 75 HP to begin with. A Meat Effigy will drop it to 45, which means you're going to consume that Effigy really soon :) From my experience it's best to always have armor on when exploring hostile areas, especially Ruins where things are able to 1 shoot you with your 75 HP, not to mention 45. Or when a hound attack is imminent of course. Just always have an armor in your inventory if you don't know which days the hounds will come.

For beardlings I'd suggest building a small walled pen and locking up rabbits in there ahead of time.  That way you can have a large number stockpiled and kill them all at once when you're ready.  One warning though: beardlings have a -25/minute sanity aura, so 40 beardlings in a confined space will cost 1000 sanity / minute.  And the walls might make it difficult to dodge terrorbeak.  Other than that it works fine.

As for taking Maxwell to the ruins, he's actually viable with just log suits and tentacle spikes.  Only time I've been to the ruins that's how I did it.  You'll definitely need honey poultices, though.  And pay careful attention to your health.

As for how to quickly go insane. If you have access to the Shadow Manipulator you can build a Nightmare Amulet for relatively cheap. This allows you to experience Insanity without actually lowering your Sanity to dangerous levels and opt out simply by unequipping. Though be careful because it does drain Sanity while equipped which could potentially lower your actual Sanity to dangerous levels.

Collect a **** load of bunnies, equip it, kill them, unequip it. Viola, Beard Hairs. I would collect a day or two's worth of bunnies first then do it to be more efficient.

Archived