Reign of Giants public test: March 25th Update

• Developer

March 25th Update - 131519 131581

And the play testing and bug fixing continues...

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Butterflies should no longer spawn in winter.
  • Telestaff lightning should only sometimes strike the player (as much as normal lightning, so 100% for WX)
  • Fixed "invalid key to next" crash.
  • Can now put ice cubes in the icebox
  • Added a widget to the main menu to let you know if your game requires updating.
  • Fixed crash when spawning Glommer
  • Fixed crash when loading a game with an in-progress crockpot
  • Fertilize action should display more consistently and accurately.
  • Planted seeds should no longer instantly wither (giving the Flingo a chance to protect them).
  • Deerclops spawning cleaned up, should only attack in winter and when there is snow on the ground.

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:

• You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.
post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.

post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.

post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!

This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.

WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:

• Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moles and Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.
Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic no longer has an on-off switch.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!
Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:

Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 
Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Thanks @Kzisor!

• Developer

It's somewhat common with steam, especially when on a test branch like the Reign of Giants Together beta, that the steam update will lag behind by as much as a day. It's also sometimes hard to tell what version a bug report is coming from, and hard for you to tell if you have the latest version or not. So we've added a widget to the main menu which will let you know if your game is out of date.

If it turns out that your game is out of date, you can try taking the following steps:

1. Restart Steam

• Make sure you don't just close the window, but actually go to the Steam menu at the top and choose Exit.
  • Then relaunch steam and try again.
If that doesn't work:

2. Verify Game Cache

• Right-click on the game in steam and select Properties.
  • Select the Local Files tab.
  • Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
The game will show progress, and when it's done it should be up-to-date.

Awesome work Klei! I'd like to ask if there were any specific bugs that were reported but didn't have enough information to recreate and isolate for you guys to properly fix? If there were any lacking bug reports, I'd like to know which specific bugs we should look out for in our next DST:RoG Playtest sessions. I'd be happy to help and fill in the missing blanks in any way I can.

As always, cheers!

I'm running a dedicated server on an old laptop, with Debian 7.2 Wheezy.  I just tried updating to 131519, a couple of times and it's stuck at 131517. Is there steps I could take to get it to update correctly? It also doesn't help that  I am an EXTREME novus at Linux.

March 25th Update - 131519

And the play testing and bug fixing continues...

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Fertilize action should display more consistently and accurately.
  • Planted seeds should no longer instantly wither (giving the Flingo a chance to protect them).
  • Deerclops spawning cleaned up, should only attack in winter and when there is snow on the ground.

I knew I wasn't freaking crazy when talking about the fertilize action! Thanks for pushing an update to try to fix this issue, I will definitely test it out later today and see if it gives anymore grief.

@Ipsquiggle, I think there is still an issue in the Fertilize action, see this snippet for evidence.

ACTIONS.FERTILIZE.fn = function(act)    if act.target and act.target.components.crop and not act.target.components.crop:IsReadyForHarvest() and not act.target:HasTag("withered")        and act.invobject and act.invobject.components.fertilizer then        local obj = act.invobject        if act.target.components.crop:Fertilize(obj, act.doer) then			return true		else			return false		end    elseif act.target.components.grower and act.target.components.grower:IsEmpty() and act.invobject and act.invobject.components.fertilizer then		local obj = act.invobject        act.target.components.grower:Fertilize(obj, act.doer)	elseif act.target.components.pickable and act.target.components.pickable:CanBeFertilized() and act.invobject and act.invobject.components.fertilizer then		local obj = act.invobject        act.target.components.pickable:Fertilize(obj, act.doer)		return true			endend 

Notice lines 12-14 is fertilizing, but never returning true.

@Ipsquiggle, birds in the birdcage still perish, yet given no indication to the remaining health of them. Also you can feed them seems and vegetables, but it seems to not prolong their life.

I personally like that they can starve and was actually going to make a mod to do that when ROG hit, because it makes the game more balanced; however, I believe there should be an indication to the player on their current condition. 

@Ipsquiggle, birds in the birdcage still perish, yet given no indication to the remaining health of them. Also you can feed them seems and vegetables, but it seems to not prolong their life.

I personally like that they can starve and was actually going to make a mod to do that when ROG hit, because it makes the game more balanced; however, I believe there should be an indication to the player on their current condition. 

Sometimes caged birds do a small jump, while flapping their birds and chirping once.

(Like when you just put the bird in the cage.)

Maybe you could play that animation more frequently the more hungry they are? :-)

@Ipsquiggle, error report:

[00:00:47]: [string "scripts/componentactions.lua"]:859: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/componentactions.lua:859 in (method) CollectActions (Lua) <841-873>   self (valid:true) =      DynamicShadow = DynamicShadow (322467E0)      inlimbo = false      ghostenabled = true      EnableMovementPrediction = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:377      player_classified = 100590 - player_classified (valid:true)      playercolour = table: 3224D448      IsOverheating = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:67      Light = Light (32246840)      Network = Network (32246860)      OnRemoveEntity = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:500      userid = OU_76561198130430187      pendingtasks = table: 3224C8B8      LightWatcher = LightWatcher (32246800)      sg = sg="wilson_client", state="run", time=0.17, tags = "moving,running,canrotate,"      spawntime = 0.20000001043081      SetGhostMode = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:416      CanExamine = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:20      HUD = HUD      Transform = Transform (32246780)      actionreplica = table: 32596CE0      event_listening = table: 3224AD60      actioncomponents = table: 23D7E350      death_event = table: 3224D2E0      DetachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:495      ondetachclassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:491      entity = Entity (32247648)      modactioncomponents = table: 23D7E378      prefab = wickerbottom      updatecomponents = table: 30D13910      name = Ysovuka      AttachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:489      GUID = 100070      persists = true      IsActionsVisible = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:985      MiniMapEntity = MiniMapEntity (32246820)      SoundEmitter = SoundEmitter (322467C0)      event_listeners = table: 3224AC98      ShakeCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1021      AnimState = AnimState (322467A0)      IsFreezing = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:57      Physics = Physics (32252BA0)      replica = table: 32596B28      components = table: 32596B00      GetTemperature = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:47   type = SCENE   arg = nil   t = table: 186EB248   modname = workshop-394470072   modtable = table: 23D7E3C8scripts/components/playeractionpicker.lua:39 in (method) GetSceneActions (Lua) <36-60>   self =      map = Map (287D4130)      inst = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)      actionfilter = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:445   useitem = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)   right = true   actions = table: 285DDC90scripts/components/playeractionpicker.lua:202 in (method) GetRightClickActions (Lua) <174-209>   self =      map = Map (287D4130)      inst = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)      actionfilter = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:445   position = (-275.68, 0.00, -274.19)   target = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)   actions = table: 285DDCB8   useitem = nil   equipitem = 100755 - tentaclespike (valid:true)   ispassable = truescripts/components/playeractionpicker.lua:243 in (method) DoGetMouseActions (Lua) <211-246>   self =      map = Map (287D4130)      inst = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)      actionfilter = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:445   position = (-275.68, 0.00, -274.19)   target = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)   lmb = nilscripts/components/playercontroller.lua:1345 in (method) OnUpdate (Lua) <1227-1586>   self =      ondetachclassified = function - scripts/components/playercontroller.lua:75      predictionsent = false      controller_target_age = 1.#INF      draggingonground = false      handler = table: 303A9E40      inst = 100070 - wickerbottom (valid:true)      remote_vector = (-272.89, 3.00, -272.58)      classified = 100590 - player_classified (valid:true)      map = Map (287D4130)      directwalking = true      locomotor = table: 3224EC58      time[00:00:47]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	[00:00:48]: QueryServerComplete no callback[00:00:48]: QueryServerComplete no callback 

@Kzisor, I've seen that bug outside of RoG a few times, too. The one way I was able to reproduce it with Peter was by ensuring that a mod component action was loaded on the server but not the client, if I remember correctly? But it's possible there are other causes.

@rezecib, that's interesting, I do have a lot of mods installed on my dedicated LAN server, but have only just recently ran into this issue. It might be linked to a mod that was having issues, but I don't know for sure. I will definitely keep an eye out to see if it's mod related by disabling the mod in question. 

Archived