I'm not going to lie

I wait at least 2 weeks before I buy something and that's assuming that it gets a near perfect score on several independent gaming website and is in contention for game of the year, yes I am quite fussy indeed

Then you're missing out on a lot of great games. Games don't need 9+ scores to be really good.

I prefer pirating a game first and buy it if I like it. Since Gamingcompanies became to lazy to release ANY KIND of demo in the last few years (seriously, is there any company that does this anymore? the latest demo I remember ever seeing was The Darkness 2 from 2011. and that one didnt even work for me.) this is almost needed to know if a game is good. you CAN NOT TRUST most media if it comes to games. even critics get paid for good scores most of the time, even if the game doesnt deserve that high praise. AC3 is one of the best recent examples. the fact that no critic I watch/read addressed the broken nature of the PC version is just..ugh...that said: I pirated Dont Stave. I loved it and bought it the next day.

even critics get paid for good scores most of the time, even if the game doesnt deserve that high praise.

You're whole post is mostly an opinion, and I respect that. However, this specific quote is something that I have a problem with. Don't you think that if a publisher even slightly showed signs of corruption, the company wouldn't be mentioned with this on every gaming website in the world, basically committing suicide a few days later? They don't pay media for good reviews. If you don't like a review, stop looking for them on that specific site and go somewhere else.So, care to show us some proof of this accusation? Edited by Torasko

But Don't Starve offers a demo...a 16min demo but a demo...

I didnt accuse klei of not giving a demo. should written that more clearly :< and yeah, 16 minutes wasnt that much, I didnt feel like I really could grasp the way this game works within that time. so I pirated it to get a better feel of the way this game goes.

You're whole post is mostly an opinion, and I respect that. However, this specific quote is something that I have a problem with. Don't you think that if a publisher even slightly showed signs of corruption, the company wouldn't be mentioned with this on every gaming website in the world, basically committing suicide a few days later? They don't pay media for good reviews. If you don't like a review, stop looking for them on that specific site and go somewhere else.So, care to show us some proof of this accusation?

same thing here, should written that more clearly. Ive yet to see a reviewer getting directly paid by the company to give a good score. but there were definitely certain "favors" on conventions etc. for people that gave positive reviews/coverage. alot of weird stuff has happened that led me to distrust big websites or people that review games. ive found a big article about that on kotaku, via google. not sure if its really worth reading through, but it adresses certain things that happened lately in the gaming journalism scene. click Edited by EatableFan

but there were definitely certain "favors" on conventions etc. for people that gave positive reviews/coverage.

Of course, and I agree. I've been a games journalist for a couple of years myself and I've noticed this myself. However, letting a certain website/person get more access to the content of a game because it's more likely that he will be more positive about it then others has nothing to do with bribing. It's just selective spreading of content, that's all. We all want our products to be in the spotlights.

Of course, and I agree. I've been a games journalist for a couple of years myself and I've noticed this myself. However, letting a certain website/person get more access to the content of a game because it's more likely that he will be more positive about it then others has nothing to do with bribing. It's just selective spreading of content, that's all. We all want our products to be in the spotlights.

yeah , thats okay. I have no problem with that in particular. but theres more than that and the favors are sometimes way different. ive seen enough fame-hungry journalists that just give games positive reviews (no matter if they think it deserves it) to get more acces like you mentioned. just to be one of the guys who knows more. its just that hearing about this and oher stuff that happens makes the big and famous people in that scene feel untrustworthy. Edited by EatableFan

See, a game company can't offer a satisfaction guarantee as easily as say, a furniture store or a restaurant, because we gamers tend to have wildly different tastes and preferences in our games, things we can't tell just by looking at an intro or hearing its a shooter or a platformer or a city building/rts game. A restaurant can easily offer one because it advertises what type of food it is, and is influenced by the culture around it. People make the decision to go to that BBQ place because they live somewhere where BBQ is done a certain way and know exactly what they're getting. It would be the equivalent of you buying a game, enjoying it, then the dev tells you that they are making a sequel that's exactly the same as the last one, and will offer you the satisfaction guarantee.

1. The only things I pirate are US TV shows that I can't have access to easily. I bought Don't Starve right off the bat after playing the demo which poped up in my chrome although I'm a really casual gamer, and usually just stick to free browser games. In that regard, I believe that the DS dev team did a really good job about pricing and hooking the customer, as well as creating a really cool game.

2. In the above quote, I think those are just justifications for immoral business practices regarding online purchases. It is very easy to offer 'satisfaction guaranteed': just offer a seven day period within which the product can be returned without justification. It is as simple as that but online business at large are just not implementing any such service frequently due to lack of effective legislation to protect the consumer's rights in digital transaction.

It is very easy for us to pay for something online, and it is in reality as easy for the companies to offer refund.

I'm not going to lie... I didn't read every post in thread in detail. Bite me. I'm going to reply anyways.I'm actually new indie scene and I bought this game because I watched Mike B. play it extensively before buying. Let's play offer a different perspective and I enjoy watching them even if I don't own the game. Plus it's hard to cover up glaring issues with the game. I suggest everyone do the same rather than relying on pirating, demos, and reviews.That being said I pirate the crap out games made by companies that deserve it. Especially the ones that had anything to do with SOPA and PIPA. I do not ever plan to buy these games. They don't deserve my money, but I still want to enjoy and absorb the amount of work their employees put into the game. Art is meant to be enjoyed and absorbed after all. I mean its not their fault their bosses are money-hungry scum right?

Edited by Junaris

[...]

2. In the above quote, I think those are just justifications for immoral business practices regarding online purchases. It is very easy to offer 'satisfaction guaranteed': just offer a seven day period within which the product can be returned without justification. It is as simple as that but online business at large are just not implementing any such service frequently due to lack of effective legislation to protect the consumer's rights in digital transaction.

It is very easy for us to pay for something online, and it is in reality as easy for the companies to offer refund.

What's to stop someone from buying the game, beating it within 7 days, then returning it for their money back?

I think there is a perspective missing. There are people who buy the game first, There are people who demo or pirate the game and then buy the game if they like it. And lastly there are people who will never buy it, even if the only way they could get the game was to buy it.

For these people they would never buy the game even if they could. And there are allot more of these people out there then you realize. I had a friend that makes north of 200K a year in IT. He strait out told me. "I never buy software. Why should I? I can get all the software I want for free".

My point is you should not count these people as profit that you have lost. They were never going to give you any money. That is just the way it is.

So don't worry about piracy. Worry about making a great game and promoting a great game. The most important part is the promotion because a great game will fail with not enough promotion. Just think of all the crappy games you bought with good promotion. Great promotion with a great game and Soon Keli will be the next EA.

Just my two cents

Edited by ChristianS
spelling mistakes

I think there is a perspective missing. There are people who buy the game first, There are people who demo or pirate the game and then buy the game if they like it. And lastly there are people who will never buy it, even if the only way they could get the game was to buy it.

For these people they would never buy the game even if they could. And there are allot more of these people out there then you realize. I had a friend that makes north of 200K a year in IT. He strait out told me. "I never buy software. Why should I? I can get all the software I want for free".

My point is you should not count these people as profit that you have lost. They were never going to give you any money. That is just the way it is.

So don't worry about piracy. Worry about making a great game and promoting a great game. The most important part is the promotion because a great game will fail with not enough promotion. Just think of all the crappy games you bought with good promotion. Great promotion with a great game and Soon Keli will be the next EA.

Just my two cents

If Klei became Ea, i'll die.