Is this normal?? How did it occur?

So I was in my little base camp and got invaded by the dog looks monsters that usually come at night and rush up in a small pack... I was able to kill 1-2 of them and then mid fight near my field of grasses and twigs all of a sudden everything caught on fire and burnt all my crops and some of the monster dog thing (sorry I just don't know the proper name for them). Now I can't figure out how or why anything caught on fire?

Do they do that on occasion or do they burst into fire when they die and that triggered it? I was only using my spear / logsuit and football helmet...

Thanks for any information or feedback. Trying to figure out if I need to fight them away from my camp or if it was a fluke or potential bug that should be reported.

Loving this game ~ any info is appreciated.

Thanks and happy surviving!

Maybe they added butter to the game for a later update didn't know where to put it so they gave it to a low generating mob? Cause I f=don't think butter is used for anything. Is it?

Butter can be used: (Spoilered in case people want to figure out for themselves)

To make Waffles, which is arguably the best (renewable) health recovery item in the game ... though the fact butter is rare and the fact waffles don't stack hardly makes it worthwhile in most cases. It is also rarely dropped by butterflies.

Edited by Full Metal Kirby

Thanks for all the replies mates! That does make more sense now and I didn't initially notice any of the hounds were different than the others cause I got attacked at night with minimal fire going. It does now make sense to where the red gem came from :p

Yep.... this is one of the many lessons everyone learns the hard way while going through this game. When it happened to me I lost all my berries, grass, twigs as well as a wall of trees I had planted 10-15 deep all the way around my camp. It took a long time to rebuild.

Now whenever I hear the dogs I immediately setup shop in a cleared buffer-zone I have created between my wall of trees and any other free standing trees. This cleared zone is more than a whole screen across so I don't have to worry about any fires jumping into my camp wall.