Do you have Don't Starve questions?

Why does the Dragonfly get trapped between firepits?

Cause he can't destroy firepits, so you can use two firepits close together as a barrier, and as the player is a smaller entity, he won't get stuck by the barrier. So you can attack the dragonfly, and the dragonfly cannot walk towards you.

Cause he can't destroy firepits, so you can use two firepits close together as a barrier, and as the player is a smaller entity, he won't get stuck by the barrier. So you can attack the dragonfly, and the dragonfly cannot walk towards you.

Ooooh~ you'd think a flying thing would be able to just fly over the firepits. But hey, what is logic in DS? :D Thanks for the answer.

I started playing 2 days ago and today I got to summer, I've wondered about only 1 thing. If where the devs live, they don't have a summer season. I can't take 2 steps away from the Endothermic Pit and my blood starts to boil. How does that make sense? And it doesn't stop even during the night? Oh, come on. Essentially, Summer is a wasted season. I've read about ways to deal with this in the wiki, but unless you happen to have some essential ingredients by that time, there is not much you can do. If getting close to large trees worked, then it would be much better, but even that works only half the time. I'm fine with a little unrealistic mechanics, but the overheat mechanic is broken.

Winter is supposed to be a much harder season to survive based on real world experiences, but I found it a lot easier. Carrying Thermal stones was a pain, but somewhat realistic. I guess in my next playthrough (sandbox) I'll try either a very short Summer or remove it entirelly.

I started playing 2 days ago and today I got to summer, I've wondered about only 1 thing. If where the devs live, they don't have a summer season. I can't take 2 steps away from the Endothermic Pit and my blood starts to boil. How does that make sense? And it doesn't stop even during the night? Oh, come on. Essentially, Summer is a wasted season. I've read about ways to deal with this in the wiki, but unless you happen to have some essential ingredients by that time, there is not much you can do. If getting close to large trees worked, then it would be much better, but even that works only half the time. I'm fine with a little unrealistic mechanics, but the overheat mechanic is broken.

Winter is supposed to be a much harder season to survive based on real world experiences, but I found it a lot easier. Carrying Thermal stones was a pain, but somewhat realistic. I guess in my next playthrough (sandbox) I'll try either a very short Summer or remove it entirelly.

I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb and guess you're playing as Wilson? Try shaving your Beard next summer.

I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb and guess you're playing as Wilson? Try shaving your Beard next summer.

lol. No, I know about his beard and he shaves as soon as that baby face gets dark. The only object I have now that offers some protection is a straw hat and today I made an ice box and a thermal stone to use as combo. I wanted to try an umbrela, but so far (22nd day) I have opened a huge part of the map and I haven't found a single pig. There is a group of Guardian Pigs nearby that guard some patches of grass and they are super aggressive. I have killed 3 of them but none dropped skin. It's been really frustrating. Thankfully, this time I made sure summer is very short. We'll see how ot goes, but based on the so far experience with the game, the devs must live on Mars to have imagined that summer os like this.

In the summer I get by with a floral shirt (5 cactus flowers), a straw hat, and thermal stones.  I've found that building refrigerators wherever you happen to be spending time is easy, cuz you get the gear back when you destroy it.  Keep two stones, one in the fridge, swap when you need to, and then get on with whatever you're doing.  I tend to use the summer for gathering, and staying the hell away from forests.

@Narkon, it's normally that when you are new to RoG summer is a little bit harsh. So lemme give you some 101 for summer:

From day one, start collecting tons of resources, like 40 twigs, 40 grass, 40 flint, lots of food etc. Chop down some trees and get 30 logs, then rush to the mosaic/rocky biome and get a two stacks of rock, 20 nitre and gold. Follow roads and all, you don't usually spawn very far from the mosaic. After that, build a science machine, prebuild an endothermic fire (nitre and grass) by crafting it and pressing right click instead of placing. Hammer down the science machine with hammer. After that, rush to the desert biome. Be sure to follow roads. Then when you find the badlands, set up your base in a place near it or in it that you feel is close to resources. Make alchemy engine and place down a firepit and an endothermic fire pit. Then after this go search the swamp, be sure to follow roads that you think they go to the swamp, get 3 silk and 12 reeds for papyrus. After this, search for clockworks (wooden thing/set pieces) to get gears and make an icebox then craft one thermal stone and put it in the icebox. At this point all you do in summer is get one frozen thermal stone, collect 5 cacti, do a floral shirt with the flowers you get from cacti (3 silk 3 papyrus 5 cactus flowers). Be sure to not wear thermal stone with clothing, cause the overheat you get from a warm thermal stone isn't delayed by clothing and thermal stones don't have a high overheating delay, so it's better to use clothing. Eat cactus flesh from cacti. Summer is over.

TL;DR:

Collect resources. Go to rocky biome/mosaic, get rocks. Go to desert, set up base. Go to swamp for reeds and silk. Go search gears for icebox. Make clothing and eat cactus flesh all summer.

You can do all of this in less than 3 days if you are experienced, cause you know how worldgen is, and even if you don't know where to look, if you follow roads you get pretty much everywhere. 20 days of spring is too much.

Thank you both for your answers. Enbo, this sounds like a great guide and I will try it next time. I will abuse this topic a little more since I get some nice info :), and ask 3 more questions.

1. What is your strategy regarding food on a year cycle? This time I focused more on spider hunting (using traps  for tier 2-3 and basic spear attacks for tier 1) because I had 3 spider dens near the main camp and they also drop silk which I found very useful. The meat is fed to a birdcage which gives eggs.

2. What defense do I have against fire. I had one during summer which burned everything down. I have seen some screenshots which show farms and other resource generating patches ver close to eacxh other and I wonder how can these survive a fire.

3. What is the best weapon/armor combo for the first 0-50 days and which clothing have you found more useful for summer/winter/special occasions?

Well there are a lot of strategies for food sources, you should search or figure it out yourself, is the best when you play the game your own way. Armor combo early-game is logsuit+football helmet, but unless you are in a dangerous position, you only need one of those two. As weapon, again, you play the game the way yo wanna play the game. You can use spears, hambats, tentacle spikes etc.

Hmm, lots of big questions here.

It's better to get ingredients for crock pot recipes than to just gather and eat food.  Prepared food is almost always going to be better.  Use monster meat as filler, no more than one per recipe or you get monster lasagna.  At the beginning of the game (in autumn) I usually get by on rabbits, berries, birchnuts, easily gathered stuff to keep me going while I build up my base.  If I need to I can fish, trap frogs, or watch merms get slapped around by tentacles and then pick up what's left.  Once I have crock pots and refrigerators those things become meatballs and other better foods.  In the winter, it's rabbits, koalafants and monster meat, with berries occasionally if filler is needed.  Winter is also for gathering ice.  In the spring I make as many farms as I can and start gathering certain types of seeds.  I try to fill up a fridge with fruits & veggies for summer.  In the summer I live on stuff I've gathered in brief visits to my camp, cactus fruit, and anything that bursts into flames right in front of me.  Depending on my web supplies, I try to set up hives either in the first winter or during summer. 

Get some ice flingers, on the science tab.  You need ice, which of course you gathered during the winter and stored in you refrigerators.  And try to stay away from your base (and large forests) during summer.

Log suits, football helmets, spears, tentacles spikes.  Always have one good weapon and armor with you.  In the winter I go with a winter hat, thermal stones, and possibly winter coats if I need to run around a lot, like when trying to kill the deerclops.  For spring I make rain hats and umbrellas, and for summer I use floral shirts, straw hats, thermal stones and umbrellas.  For the summer I carry a gear to make a fridge (or premake one) when I need one, and then demolish it and take the gear with me to the next place. 

@hotflungwok, i recommend you to not ever use thermal stones, they are very bad, cause even if you have good clothing, thermal stones will cancel clothing's effects and they will cool you down/warm you without the clothing slowing down that fact, so basically if you got puffyvest with beefalo hat and a thermal stone on maximum heat, it's the same as if you got only the thermal stone. You should not use them alone either cause they heat up/cool down slower than you do and they only keep you warm/cold for about 2 minutes whilst with the clothing you can go up to 8 minutes. Use floral shirt for summer without thermal stone and use puffy vest in winter without thermal stone.

@hotflungwok, i recommend you to not ever use thermal stones, they are very bad, cause even if you have good clothing, thermal stones will cancel clothing's effects and they will cool you down/warm you without the clothing slowing down that fact, so basically if you got puffyvest with beefalo hat and a thermal stone on maximum heat, it's the same as if you got only the thermal stone. You should not use them alone either cause they heat up/cool down slower than you do and they only keep you warm/cold for about 2 minutes whilst with the clothing you can go up to 8 minutes. Use floral shirt for summer without thermal stone and use puffy vest in winter without thermal stone.

I was watching a stream yesterday and they said that thermal stones are interesting. I see why now. I like to always make a thermal and wonder why I am in first stage freezing sometimes after only a few minutes. Now I see why.

Thank you!

I use the thermal stones when travelling or fighting.  They're basically another way to extend the time I can be away from a fire.  I put swap armor and clothing, grab the stone out of the fire/refrigerator, and I've got a few minutes of free time.  In addition to building refrigerators all over, I build fire pits all over too. 

Heck, all ever use is thermal stones.  I just keep and extra one in the fridge/firepit box and swap out as needed.  I just don't worry about tracking down the protective clothing at all.  I dunno if this is the best method, but it definitely does work.

Heck, all ever use is thermal stones.  I just keep and extra one in the fridge/firepit box and swap out as needed.  I just don't worry about tracking down the protective clothing at all.  I dunno if this is the best method, but it definitely does work.

It's not the best method at all. Whilst I do agree farming silk for clothing is annoying, clothing will give you so much time without worrying about temperature n that makes it worth to farm silk for it, especially in long runs where you don't have nothing to do. I'm not saying it's not time consuming, but using clothing is definetely much more efficient than using thermal stones.

What do you do when you have pretty much all your base set up?  I'm currently on day 112 with wendy and have pretty much all the stuff that i need set up (crock pots, ice boxes drying racks, beefalo pens, panic room etc etc) and i'm getting kind of bored because to further expand my base i only need one resource : Stone. Does it come down to that? Wait out the night and then go gather stones then rinse and repeat? That's not fun at all!

On a related question: How can you take 1000 days with wes? I've only played 1/10 of that and i'm already demoted to gather stone for the rest of my life

Hi! I have a question and it is a major one for me to decide what to do next. I play Don't starve alone (not DST).

I found all the things and cleared the area where the wooden thing is, I can basically go to the next world. Something is bugging me though. I don't know what to bring. I know I can't bring chester and I will miss him a lot. I am thinking of putting on a piggy pack just to be able to bring as much as possible, even if it slows me down (I have a walking cane so maybe it levels out).

I've read that in some worlds there is no pig king. I can't find him on my map, I've explored everything except a swamp where I died and wont return to, it is huge and have no bridges (I have walked around it) I can't imagine the pig king to be there anyways. I've found so much worthy stuff while digging graves and really like to turn them into gold, having them taking up a whole slot I presume is very unnecessary if I can bring 40 gold on that slot instead?

So what should I really bring? 40 Healing Salve, some gems and gears that is hard to find? I have a lot of shaved beard so if I change character I won't have the life penalty while building meat effigy? Instead of bringing heat stone I can bring the twigs, stone and flint to make one in the other world? Bringing 40 straw seems so waste of space that if I find a field I can collect it in one day in the other world... I have sooooo much stuff that I have decision anxiety of what to bring. Give me your best ideas! :)

What do you do when you have pretty much all your base set up?  I'm currently on day 112 with wendy and have pretty much all the stuff that i need set up (crock pots, ice boxes drying racks, beefalo pens, panic room etc etc) and i'm getting kind of bored because to further expand my base i only need one resource : Stone. Does it come down to that? Wait out the night and then go gather stones then rinse and repeat? That's not fun at all!

Caves are always a good adventure, and rocks are easy to find down there.

Archived