What is the purpose of haunting?

Is it just for fun? I know that if you haunt a mob, it seems to disorient it (especially if it's chasing someone). I also know that you can sometimes start fires (which is supposed to be a drawback, right?) Are there any other benefits/features of haunting? 

edit- Not saying I want to get rid of it or anything - on the contrary, I would like to see more to do with it!

Change flowers into dark flowers

Make mosquitoes explode

Scare mobs

Switch mushrooms colours

Create a ghost army from graves

Mine rocks

Chop down/ burn/ transform them into Treeguards (based on random chances)

Turn pigs into werepigs

Move objects

Scare mobs (I think on random chances they can catch fire)

Make crops grow/burn (random chances)

Scare gobblers out of bushes

Scare rabbits out of rabbit holes

Examine Koalofant's tracks

Destroy structures such as pig houses

Turn normal hounds into blue or red hounds

Resurrect (by haunting a Meat Effigy or a Touchstone)

Haunting a Tier3 Spider Den can spawn a Spider Queen

Tell me if I've missed something

Change flowers into dark flowers Make mosquitoes explode Scare mobs Switch mushrooms colours Create a ghost army from graves Mine rocks Chop down/ burn/ transform them into Treeguards (based on random chances) Turn pigs into werepigs Move objects Scare mobs (I think on random chances they can catch fire) Make crops grow/burn (random chances) Scare gobblers out of bushes Scare rabbits out of rabbit holes Examine Koalofant's tracks Destroy structures such as pig houses Turn normal hounds into blue or red hounds Resurrect (by haunting a Meat Effigy or a Touchstone) Haunting a Tier3 Spider Den can spawn a Spider Queen Tell me if I've missed something

Wow what a very thorough list, thank you!

edit - woah, weird that it didn't retain the formatting...

Well, Haunting can grow crops. Turn pigs into werepigs. A bunch of other things. And unfortunately it can burn flammable objects. Yes, I'm referencing W's butterfly situation.

<foams at mouth>

Alternatively, it can help you if you're underprepared for ol' Clops (or you're just too laggy to fight him properly) if you haunt enough trees you might get your very own Treeguard protector. 

The butterfly is an example of being careful where you haunt... :(

It's for da spooks :)

My favorite thing to do while haunting is to go and haunt alot of graves. When you do that it will often spawn another ghost and they will follow you and you can make a ghost army.

The problem with this is that you're stuck with the ghosts for eternity unless they get killed by something, aggroed by something else etc.

Also why do the generic ghosts in DST have Wigfrid helmet horns on them? Dafaq?

It's for da spooks :-)

The problem with this is that you're stuck with the ghosts for eternity unless they get killed by something, aggroed by something else etc.

Wigfrid was their original killer in DST. They're merely the result of her traveling through the land.

It's for da spooks :-)

I have gotten rid of them before. I just went really far away from them and when I tried to find them again they never came back. 

Another thing I found out the other day is that if you haunt a yellow bee it can turn into a red bee.

Archived