"...In with the new" -- Don't Starve Together Closed Beta Update 1 Now Live

@Some1 I think because literally every file had to be changed, so it doesn't make sense to use an inheritance system (previously it would look first for a file, let's say pigman.lua, in the current DLC folder. If it wasn't there, it would use the one in the overall data folder). But there was also some talk of it maybe being standalone, as well, but I don't know where it came from.

Soo I looked up this Satori mod... Perks are cool but what is her downside?

she cant hire filthy pigmen/bunnymen, and upkeep, you cant just tame 1000 beefalo and not expect to feed them every 3steps, otherwise they get angry and sometimes fight you or run away, you lose sanity for it. Trust me beefalo losing their mind and rebelling isn't fun, they eat thru 40 grass real fast, otherwise she doesn't have a real downside since shes in the touhou series she doesnt have a real downside, I just play her because of fanboyism and the mod is pretty well done. Oh and you can't murder rabbits, but you can use a carrot to pick them up instead of making a trap.

• Developer

Don't Starve Together will be a standalone game. It's an expansion of Don't Starve in that we're expanding on the core game and making a multiplayer mode, but not in that it is literally expanding on the same code. It's derived from the Don't Starve code, but we've had to change enough that it made sense to split it out and not worry about compatibility (and our own sanity). So, mods will either be for Don't Starve or for Don't Starve Together. Don't Starve Together will always have its own folder and set of files, which means that, when you're in Don't Starve Together, DST is always implicitly enabled.

Okay, but what if there is'nt significal difference for certain mod between DS and DST versions?

Could you provide some simple way to detect, is that DST or just pure DS?

At the moment I'm using "if GLOBAL.rawget(GLOBAL.STRINGS.UI.MAINSCREEN,"DST_UPDATENAME") then" expression, but it looks stupid.

• Developer

Okay, but what if there is'nt significal difference for certain mod between DS and DST versions?

Could you provide some simple way to detect, is that DST or just pure DS?

At the moment I'm using "if GLOBAL.rawget(GLOBAL.STRINGS.UI.MAINSCREEN,"DST_UPDATENAME") then" expression, but it looks stupid.

That already exists!

To check if the game is DS:

TheSim:GetSteamAppID() == DONT_STARVE_APPID

To check if the game is DST:

TheSim:GetSteamAppID() == DONT_STARVE_TOGETHER_APPID

Hope that helps!

Don't Starve Together will be a standalone game. It's an expansion of Don't Starve in that we're expanding on the core game and making a multiplayer mode, but not in that it is literally expanding on the same code. It's derived from the Don't Starve code, but we've had to change enough that it made sense to split it out and not worry about compatibility (and our own sanity). So, mods will either be for Don't Starve or for Don't Starve Together. Don't Starve Together will always have its own folder and set of files, which means that, when you're in Don't Starve Together, DST is always implicitly enabled.

I'm certain this has been answered before but I am new to reading things on the forum so...

DST isn't going to cost existing DS owners anything, right?

No, you're missing the point. People given keys are here to help test the game. Not play a version that you think is "done". In fact it's better for it to be in a closed beta right now. My best example of an open beta is Unturned 3.0

and I thought I was the only one pointing this out.

But DST is still available to anyone who owns Don't Starve, right? If so, how will it handle unlocks?

EDIT: NVM, found the info thread.

Archived