So... my account was (mistakenly) banned?

So here's my story and experience:

I received a message saying I was banned today when I clicked the Play Online button. Now I know what you're all thinking. I must have used my DST beta access to hack into Klei's database and steal all their code or I must have cussed out a developer that I might have been playing with. Well sorry to disappoint, but I didn't.

I play nicely with everyone and on multiple times it was I who was on the received end of other players griefing and endless hammering of hard-worked structures.

The only reason I can think of is the fact that I followed this tutorial that shows how to host a server with more than 4 players. Bear in mind that while I'm not a daily follower of the forums, I've lurked here a few times in my days of Don't Starve and even if I wasn't, one would clearly realize that the users with Red Names and the big KLEI icon would be staff/developers.

Here I quote Mr. SethR:

It's not in as a default option right now because we're not confident that it will work and we want the experience to be as smooth as possible for 99% of players. That said, we fully encourage you folks to make these larger servers--it's something we want to support, so getting reports on issues found or experienced in these larger games sooner rather than later is perfectly welcome.

And so I did so under the assumption that it would not have been against the terms of service (because I can fully admit to not reading those things, really, who does?). While I realize they have their right in banning players, I do feel that if these kinds of mods to servers/game files are not allowed, they should be explicitly stated and such threads be locked down or deleted to prevent confusion.

I will try and contact support in regards to my account and will update this thread on the matter. 

Relevant thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/41860-more-than-4-max-players-per-server-tutorial/

I was somewhat worried about this happening. I know Dark Souls II has had some really lame issues with softbanning players in the sorta recent past, (softban as in they could play the game, but couldn't connect with others for online play) and unfortunately on many occasions this would be done with no legitimate reason. Now that banning has been introduced into DST, and especially because it's still in the midst of development, I can foresee this potentially becoming an issue where players get banned without provoking any action of that sort. Hopefully Klei will be a little more responsive and helpful about these issues than others have been in the past. I trust they would of course. ;)

Thanks for actual replies/comments. I was worried I wasn't going to get taken seriously and all I'd get was "lul n00b" messages. Writing your first thread on a new forum can be daunting, especially if your first post is about your account getting banned lol. I think there might have been some miscommunication between some groups of the Klei team working on DST on what is allowed and what isn't, so when they saw a server with a maximum population over 4, I ended up tripping red flags and getting banned. However, from the looks of it, other people have tried it as well, so either they haven't gotten banned/banned yet, or I'm just the first one to post about it.

Devs definitly haven't meant to ban you I'm sure of it. Not only they'd like to get support from such hosted servers but they also use that functions while playing Rhymes with Play. Even though terms of (singleplayer) DS says:

When using the Game or any product or service available through the Game you must comply with all applicable laws and with all of our policies and rules, as updated from time-to-time.  In particular, but without limiting the foregoing, you must not:

1. hack, reverse engineer, disable, disrupt or interfere with the functioning of the Game, or modify the Game in any way;

You got response from the devs themselves that they want people to do that.

There is only one reason I have ever banned an account, and that is because of extremely vulgar server names. But that has literally only happened a couple times. 

Certainly not because of a modded server. 

If you write up a ticket at support.kleientertainment.com, include the email address from your klei account and I will check it out.

The OP didn't do anything wrong, this was just a mixup on my part. 

All is correct now. 

There is only one reason I have ever banned an account, and that is because of extremely vulgar server names. But that has literally only happened a couple times. 

Certainly not because of a modded server. 

If you write up a ticket at support.kleientertainment.com, include the email address from your klei account and I will check it out.

The OP didn't do anything wrong, this was just a mixup on my part. 

All is correct now. 

Yeah I remember reporting a server with an absurdly vulgar room name. I had another suspicion that my name might have been mixed up with the name of the person who made that server. 

Thanks for clearing my name, Joe!

Thanks for actual replies/comments. I was worried I wasn't going to get taken seriously and all I'd get was "lul n00b" messages. Writing your first thread on a new forum can be daunting, especially if your first post is about your account getting banned lol. I think there might have been some miscommunication between some groups of the Klei team working on DST on what is allowed and what isn't, so when they saw a server with a maximum population over 4, I ended up tripping red flags and getting banned. However, from the looks of it, other people have tried it as well, so either they haven't gotten banned/banned yet, or I'm just the first one to post about it.

Yeah I'm guessing that's just because it was 2-4am and some people get a little less... Lucid than usual about that time of night. Granted that's their timezone, I know it was mine, but that's because I have awful sleeping habits. People also seem to be in a trolling/derailing mood with the most recent puzzle thread likely hitting a progress wall until the next update, so I wouldn't take it personally. Usually people on here are more helpful than that! XD

One of my friends just recently got banned today, don't know why. It said: "Account Banned - Your account has been banned for violating the terms of use. This is no laughing matter." I really don't understand why he got banned. We play privately on our own server and the message sounds really vague. I'd like some insight on this issue if anyone has information.

One of my friends just recently got banned today, don't know why. It said: "Account Banned - Your account has been banned for violating the terms of use. This is no laughing matter." I really don't understand why he got banned. We play privately on our own server and the message sounds really vague. I'd like some insight on this issue if anyone has information.

Only one account was banned today, and that was for an extremely offensive server name and description. If your friend feels that this was not the case, have them contact us on the support site at http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Please make sure they include the email address they signed up with so we can check it out. 

The E-mail was *****, he's a friend that I have been playing with. I realise now why he's banned for the server name. Is there a limit on the ban or is it permanent?

Tell your friend to contact Klei Support with his information, like JoeW said. http://support.kleientertainment.com/customer/portal/emails/new

It's more private and I think you can get more information that way. :hypnotized:

Sorry I keep double posting. I think it has something to do with my internet.

I think it's from clicking "post" multiple times. Just try once and wait. :-)

We have terms of service that we expect people to follow: http://www.dontstarvegame.com/terms-service

We aren't policing what happens of hosted servers (outside of our own), but since the server list is accessible by everybody, we do expect people to not have offensive server names. 

This is not because of any type of age limit, this is out of decency and respect for other people. 

Archived