Do you think bosses should get stronger?

Right now all players do less damage. Tentacles themselves are too hard to kill with the bad combat weirdness, and possible rubberbanding. Bosses like spiderqueen don't stop spawning spiders, so bosses are fine as they are.

Right now all players do less damage. Tentacles themselves are too hard to kill with the bad combat weirdness, and possible rubberbanding. Bosses like spiderqueen don't stop spawning spiders, so bosses are fine as they are.

The tentacle is ridiculas as it is (in the single) .. i didnt know about the damage reduction and thats actually pretty good.

I am not in the Beta, but I suppose that buffing the bosses isn't the right way. The "regular fighting" would take too much time, so the players will probably build more and more gunpowder (boom ! tee-hee...), or bringing more pigs/treeguards into the fight.

Anyway, I could only be sure when I receive my keys...

No, simply increasing a boss/creature's health or damage, and reducing a player's damage is a very boring and artificial way of increasing, a huge blob of brainless taking and fire power is very boring to fight against and easy to exploit, even more with more than one player. I think the bosses should get smarter, as in a better fighting AI made specialy for fighting against more than one player for example the Bearger could make a short "Smelling the air" animation and focus on the player which has the biggest quantity of healing food (and maybe items) or make just make his stomp attack when sorruended of players.
It may be harder to make and takes more time to code than simply 'Ok bois, the bosses have 3131231 health now/ da players are wimpy bastards when with more than one player' but it's far more interesting of a challenge than a health/strength buff.

So, in single-player I can kite an arbitrary number of spiders without getting hit. It takes some time, as you have to do one attack at a time, but it's doable. Beefalo and koalefants I can get 5-6 hits in between kiting. Treeguards I can get 3-4.

In DST right now I can't do groups of spiders at all -- I can do maybe a couple if I bait out attacks from all of them first, then attack once, but it's super tedious and still vulnerable to rubberbanding. Beefalo and koalefants I can do 3-4 hits on and manage not to get hit most of the time. For treeguards I usually only get one hit in.

As it stands, for clients there's no way to fight giants (well, just Deerclops right now) except to armor up and all just go ham (preferably with all four players). With their huge range and relatively short attack period, it's extremely difficult if not impossible to kite them. I think if giants got buffed they would be virtually impossible to deal with.

Now, if rubberbanding/delay gets fixed, then maybe there's some room to buff them. Their attacks are AoE, though, and coordinating kiting between players will probably be challenging on its own, so I'm not sure they'll need it.

If all mobs retain the same health, it would encourage players to cooperate and eliminate them more efficiently. Increasing mob health does not add any depth to gameplay, but necessitates longer periods of repeating the same action. Assuming players are divided into factions, requiring several more hits to kill the same enemy in the same way because another player resides on the other side of the map does not translate into fun.

I think bosses are hard enough as it is, especially for new players. In my giant encounters I always use gunpowder to weaken them (except G/Goose), and if it was stronger I'd just have to use more gunpowder (which is a limited resource in Don't Starve). I feel like if two buddies can more easily take down a giant together, then they have good cooperation with each other and deserve to waste less time than others who don't cooperate as smoothly.

Archived