Not much of a dog person

Abenlen

I decided to give RoG another shot.  I landed in a great world!  I had frogs near, spiders within an easy walk, and plenty of materials available to make my base.  The problem?  Hounds.  Again.

I killed the first three waves by wearing a log suit and using a spear.  The last time they came at night so I couldn't lead them to my helper treeguards I had pacified a short run away.  I was trying to fight and use my healing salve, but got eaten anyways.  I rez'd at a touchstone, went back to camp, and saw they were hanging around chewing on my bones.  When I tried to grab my stuff, I got murdered for real.

I'm in a new world now, and I did set hounds for less.  But that feels kinda cheap to me.  How should I really be dealing with these things?

Edit:  Because apparently the word I used in place of "grab" has been sullied forever by those burdened by unsavory moral compasses.

I use pigmen the first few waves and then toothtraps for the rest. Logsuit+spear is also pretty good for the first few waves depending on the character you're playing as.

But toothtraps are amazing.

Also a general thing I think is good info, hounds can aggro on anything except other hounds (I think) so you can lead them into bees or beefalo and they'll do the job for you.

The best way to protect against hounds is to make a tooth traps, at the early days you won't be able to it due to the lack of resources, so in the first days you can use others things to protect yourself, the best thing is the beefalos, they can deal with the first waves 'till you can make the traps, when an attack come, just bring the hound to the beefaloes and keep running around then, when one of the hounds attack the beefaloes all the herd will attack the agressor, and you should always have a light source with you to run in the night during those suprise attacks.

Generally I recommend pigmen/beefalos, as they offer protection without drawback (most of the time).

Later, you may have enough resources and time to make toothtraps, but despite what other people say, I don't think they're great against "less" hound waves. Giants, definitely, even in base DS. But not early/small hounds waves.

You should also consider making yourself a football helmet, if you get your hands on some pig spikes. It will take 80% of the damage, even more with a chestplate.

Last but not least: Dodge 'n' Kite

Until they don't get too many, just take them out one by one by kiting the other.

^

One/Two hits, run, repeat. Not even armor needed. Only spear and four hits on each. With some practice and timing, it's pretty easy to kite packs of hounds.

It didn't really occur to me to take them to pigs or beefalos.  And I suppose I really ought to get the hang of this kiting thing as well.  Combat just isn't something I'm very good at in games.  But I need to learn, this constant dying from the same thing is getting old.  Thanks for the suggestions, at least now I have an idea of what to try to do.

Archived