regarding the 2 players 1 umbrella idea

it got mentioned in the stream that it might be nice to have people share 1 umbrella.

Seth didn't know how to implement that properly yet so i thought a little about it.

in case someone wants to watch that segment of the stream: http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment/b/567609605 starting at 01:12:50.

Seth said that it could be a problem on the performance because the game needs to constantly check if there is a player near the umbrella player.

well, i think this problem could be easily solved by giving the umbrella a stationary holding action, similar to how the bush hat works. so the game only checks for other players around the umbrella player if this action is activated and the umbrella player could function like trees already do in RoG, giving protection if a player is standing close.

while players share 1 umbrella i think it would be reasonable to devide the total effectiveness of the umbrella by the number of players who hug the umbrella player for his protection.

this would make sharing the umbrella more like a over night solution because the umbrella holder cant move without canceling the action but moving while sharing the umbrella with other players seems very difficult to do anyway.

well, i think this problem could be easily solved by giving the umbrella a stationary holding action, similar to how the bush hat works. so the game only checks for other players around the umbrella player if this action is activated and the umbrella player could function like trees already do in RoG, giving protection if a player is standing close.

A stationary rain shelter you say?

When two players share a torch, isn't the system constantly checking the radius? If umbrella sharing is ever implemented, it would probably work in a way similar to the dark/light system.

A stationary rain shelter you say?

When two players share a torch, isn't the system constantly checking the radius? If umbrella sharing is ever implemented, it would probably work in a way similar to the dark/light system.

have you watched the segment of the stream? i think light works a little different and because the umbrella is right on top of the characters head the radius would be very small, maybe as small as the range of willows lighter.

maybe Seth could go into more detail about it? i just suggested a possible solution to the problem he  mentioned.

• Developer

I thought RoG has something along the lines of tree shades? That sounds like the literally same thing but stuck to the player who holds the umbrella.

It does. And it would be implemented in more or less exactly the same way. The only reason I wasn't like "HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS GO GO GO GO" on the stream is because that process is relatively expensive. In Reign of Giants, that's fine because there's only one player and we only need to do it every .5 - 1 second. But with multiplayer, you need to be doing that same calculation for every player that's holding an umbrella, which could be the same number as there are players in the server. If that's just 4 players, which is what we're supporting right now, that's probably not a concern. But if we're able to achieve larger servers, it might become one. It's definitely something I'll be looking at--and if I had to guess, it'll probably be just fine. But because there are still plenty of unknowns, I didn't want to commit to it :)

It does. And it would be implemented in more or less exactly the same way. The only reason I wasn't like "HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS GO GO GO GO" on the stream is because that process is relatively expensive. In Reign of Giants, that's fine because there's only one player and we only need to do it every .5 - 1 second. But with multiplayer, you need to be doing that same calculation for every player that's holding an umbrella, which could be the same number as there are players in the server. If that's just 4 players, which is what we're supporting right now, that's probably not a concern. But if we're able to achieve larger servers, it might become one. It's definitely something I'll be looking at--and if I had to guess, it'll probably be just fine. But because there are still plenty of unknowns, I didn't want to commit to it :-)

So you're saying that one player standing next to a player with an umrella/eyebrella/pretty parasol would be difficult to implement? Hmm, I kind of agree, cause now that you think about it; what would happen if two players stood next to each other, both wearing umbrellas; would the protection double for both or what? And if more are standing next to each other with them, then that's a lot of mess :(

I get the technical reason why. Maybe another workaround can bge found using other methods?

The only reason I wasn't like "HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS GO GO GO GO" on the stream 

Now I don't care what topic you will be talking about, but I want to hear you say that on a stream!  

You two look hungry while streaming that game? Seth, would you order a pizza?

HELL YEAH LET'S DO THIS GO GO GO GO

:-)

would the protection double for both or what? And if more are standing next to each other with them, then that's a lot of mess 

I can see it now:

People huddled like penguins pengulls all holding umbrellas with a +999999999999999999999999% protection from wetness...

Archived