Style and play choice.

Always do a base next to the pig king, he will be the overweight friend everyone needs.

I always trade my spare monster jerky with him, and in return his minions defend me from hounds whenever I come. It's a win-win situation!

Also, I most recently developed a strategy where I build...

...a main base with everything at pigville

...a winter camp near savannah for beefalo poop and rabbit morsels, ideally not too far from MacTusk.

...near the resurrection stones and cave entrances fire pits and a chest each, with some seasonal emergency equipment.

...a panic area. After all that above is more or less done. Maybe a bit too late...

I always trade my spare monster jerky with him, and in return his minions defend me from hounds whenever I come. It's a win-win situation!

Also, I most recently developed a strategy where I build...

...a main base with everything at pigville

...a winter camp near savannah for beefalo poop and rabbit morsels, ideally not too far from MacTusk.

...near the resurrection stones and cave entrances fire pits and a chest each, with some seasonal emergency equipment.

...a panic area. After all that above is more or less done. Maybe a bit too late...

I Usually prioritize the Farms and the Grass/Twigs/Bushes.

And then the first thing to do is move the Pig houses, because a full moon would **** you up and kill you.

Also making your base near the pig king mean that you're near the Glommer and the Caves, but don't open the caves if you're not ready, because opening the caves means Bats everynight (They're good for Manure) Oh, and also You should do a Panic area far away from the pigs, because if the hounds attack you during full moon you're fucked. Oh, and you can also use the Birch in your area for Trail mix.

Essentially making a crock pot will allow you to use Moleworms and Berry bushes and become invincible! Because Meatballs/Trail-Mixes = Immortality.

^

|

|

Best base ever for the first 50/100 Days.

I like planting Spider dens in the middle of Pig Villages for the hell of it. I tend to set up my bases near paths and/or wormholes so I can make a squeaky quick get away. Paths usually lead to pig villages on one end or another, so it all works out. <: 

And yes, I do like making my bases on those Clockwork Biomes. They just look so nice. 

I like to have a wormhole nearby, and I've never made a panic room. I find dragging the hounds to my beefalo herd works perfectly well.  even if they're not in heat, or asleep, a hound will eventually bite a beefalo, prompting instant and brutal murder.  And if a beefalo dies, hey, more meat for me.  The hounds will never totally over power a decent sized beefalo herd.  However, I am just starting to play RoG for the first time, so I may need a panic room for giants.  I've never killed or even seriously fought one, so I expect to die repeatedly. And I keep the pigs at a safe distance, not too far, but certainly not next door.  Werepigs are JERKS.  *grumblegrumble*  I do always have at least a firepit in pig villages so I can camp there.  and I leave full survival kits next to every touchstone in a chest with a log suit, a winter hat, a spear, an axe, some logs, some twigs, some grass and some flint.  pre-RoG I'd plant a farm and leave some kind of crop on it since it wouldn't rot as an emergency snack.  with RoG, I'll probably just make sure there's berry bushes nearby.

My one is to make two plus one or more camps:

1. At pig village near pig king.

God damn, it's the best protection ever!

2 At chess biome.

It's just looking cool and have a perfect shape.

3+ At resurrection stone.

It's needed. Trust me.

Panic room: At corner of map near wormhole.

I would like to sit here and cry in silence when all my work goes to *BAD WORD* by dragonfly.

I used to prioritize settling near pig villages but now I'm solidly behind settling down near beefalo. The wool and manure they provide are fantastic for fueling fire pits and Ice Flingomatics, and for emergency heating during winter while exploring. Logs are largely for construction and log armor crafting as a result. Once their herds are large enough one day's work is enough to fuel anything I want for a long time, occasionally supplemented with guano from my cave explorations and Glommer's goop.

My base has few farms (2-4 at most) as I prefer to eat Bacon & Eggs and Pierogi (with the occasional Butter Muffin and whatever I happen to have on hand). I don't have a panic room but I do have a minefield of traps in an open area clear of resources specifically for dealing with giants. As I play with reduced hound packs I've managed to deal with them without needing to relocate pigs or bunnymen nearby for protection. With regards the Pig King I tend to use normal tools until I've gathered enough items for trade before making the journey to his location and turning them all in at once for gold.

I was lucky with my recent base as the location I chose had beefalo herds to the northwest, a swamp with a few ponds and filled with reeds to the southeast, a touchstone and two wormholes to the west, and several bee hives to the southwest. It was also quite close to the center of the map, with roads going north and southwest.

The safest way is to build a base right below the cave entrance until you are ready for all 4 giants.  You do have to deal with depth worms which can easily be remedied with rock lobsters.  The cave near the pig king is the best.

I used to prioritize settling near pig villages but now I'm solidly behind settling down near beefalo. The wool and manure they provide are fantastic for fueling fire pits and Ice Flingomatics, and for emergency heating during winter while exploring. Logs are largely for construction and log armor crafting as a result. Once their herds are large enough one day's work is enough to fuel anything I want for a long time, occasionally supplemented with guano from my cave explorations and Glommer's goop.

My base has few farms (2-4 at most) as I prefer to eat Bacon & Eggs and Pierogi (with the occasional Butter Muffin and whatever I happen to have on hand). I don't have a panic room but I do have a minefield of traps in an open area clear of resources specifically for dealing with giants. As I play with reduced hound packs I've managed to deal with them without needing to relocate pigs or bunnymen nearby for protection. With regards the Pig King I tend to use normal tools until I've gathered enough items for trade before making the journey to his location and turning them all in at once for gold.

I was lucky with my recent base as the location I chose had beefalo herds to the northwest, a swamp with a few ponds and filled with reeds to the southeast, a touchstone and two wormholes to the west, and several bee hives to the southwest. It was also quite close to the center of the map, with roads going north and southwest.

How do you deal with the Dragonfly? I see all that stuff going up in smoke! 

I like to set up near beefalo and a forest, and try to engage in as little combat as possible. The beefalo provide fertilizer, fuel, protection from hounds, and an emergency food source. The forest offers resources, as well as a method to take down giants. When Bearger invaded my camp, I aggroed him, led him to the forest, and had him knock down a bunch of trees while he pursued me. This spawned several treeguards who were hostile to only him, and I got to watch an awesome fight. :D The treeguards will win the fight as long as there are more than one of them, and they will be neutral towards the player afterwards. And bammmm, free logs, pinecones, and mob drops!

Near touchstones, I normally drop a backpack filled with necessities for survival. As someone above mentioned, it is a good idea to have some berry bushes nearby. Some people like to have multiple bases, but I've never really felt a need for that. I suppose a backup base is a good idea though, and I will try setting one up next time I play.

I mainly play as Webber so I don't have to worry too much about food due to my spider farm, but I've found honey to be one of the best foods. Build a bee box, catch butterflies, and plant them into flowers near the bee box. When you have enough flowers nearby, the bees will produce about six honey every day. Farms and berry bushes are helpful as well.

I like to set up near beefalo and a forest, and try to engage in as little combat as possible. The beefalo provide fertilizer, fuel, protection from hounds, and an emergency food source. The forest offers resources, as well as a method to take down giants. When Bearger invaded my camp, I aggroed him, led him to the forest, and had him knock down a bunch of trees while he pursued me. This spawned several treeguards who were hostile to only him, and I got to watch an awesome fight. :grin: The treeguards will win the fight as long as there are more than one of them, and they will be neutral towards the player afterwards. And bammmm, free logs, pinecones, and mob drops!

Near touchstones, I normally drop a backpack filled with necessities for survival. As someone above mentioned, it is a good idea to have some berry bushes nearby. Some people like to have multiple bases, but I've never really felt a need for that. I suppose a backup base is a good idea though, and I will try setting one up next time I play.

I mainly play as Webber so I don't have to worry too much about food due to my spider farm, but I've found honey to be one of the best foods. Build a bee box, catch butterflies, and plant them into flowers near the bee box. When you have enough flowers nearby, the bees will produce about six honey every day. Farms and berry bushes are helpful as well.

Yep. A good guide is 6 flowers per bee box with a minimum starting 12 flowers. 

How do you deal with the Dragonfly? I see all that stuff going up in smoke! 

I've only seen the Dragonfly twice across several games on default spawn rates, both times nowhere near my base. Haven't seen it or any other giant in this world yet (Day 75). I plan to try luring it away with ranged weapons if I do encounter it; north of the beefalo herds, separated by water, is a wide grassland area with only a graveyard and some rocks nearby that would be a good place to leave it to lurk about until it leaves. I suppose I could lure it far east as well, but there's massive field of killer bee hives there that I occasionally wander in for some fun.

Depends. I often do "theme games" so sometimes it is in a swamp if I play the gloomy Maxwell, with the beefalos if I go the farming route, in a forest for the vegetarian style or in a quarry if I want to play the lord of all spiders.

In general though? I enjoy birchnut forests for easy access to resources.

Depends. I often do "theme games" so sometimes it is in a swamp if I play the gloomy Maxwell, with the beefalos if I go the farming route, in a forest for the vegetarian style or in a quarry if I want to play the lord of all spiders.

In general though? I enjoy birchnut forests for easy access to resources.

Wouldn't Webber belong in the Swamp/Quarry and Maxwell belong on the Wooden Thing Clockwork Biome?

Meh, semantics I guess. 

Lately I've been setting up near the pig king, far enough away from the cave entrance and pigs so they don't bother me.  But I just had a week away with no computer ( :o ) so I feel like a fresh start now. 

My favourite I think, is finding a frog pond village near to beefalo - I had that set-up one time but did something stupid and died.  So I think I'll go and look for that again and restart.

My priority for a main base is usually in the savannah closest to the as many bunny holes as possible.
I also run around the map shoveling up all the twig plants I find until I have like 30 and moving them to my main base very early on.

Also plant a bunch of trees nearby too. 

This way I basically have all twigs, food, wood, and grass without having to worry about it. The less I have to worry about scavenging, the more I can focus on spelunking or working towards the next world. 

Ideally a Buffalo herd nearby is a huge plus for dealing with hounds, but if there isn't I'll just plant a few of those carnivorous plants and use it as a pseudo-panic room. 

Nearby wormholes, rocky areas, or pig villages are a plus. 

Lately I've been thinking about trying out a base near or in a desert as of late, because all those tumbleweeds provide lots of resources and cooked cactus restores sanity.

I break all the pig houses for getting cut stones and boards

I always do my base at the Grasslands or at the Forest

I use the pitchfork at the chess biome for doing my floor ( My floor is made from Carpeted Flooring and Checkerboard Flooring, they are expensive as hell)

The first 10 days I spend collecting resources and making machines, The other 11 days I spend exploring the map, hunting, and preparing for the winter/summer

My priority for a main base is usually in the savannah closest to the as many bunny holes as possible.

I also run around the map shoveling up all the twig plants I find until I have like 30 and moving them to my main base very early on.

Also plant a bunch of trees nearby too. 

This way I basically have all twigs, food, wood, and grass without having to worry about it. The less I have to worry about scavenging, the more I can focus on spelunking or working towards the next world. 

Ideally a Buffalo herd nearby is a huge plus for dealing with hounds, but if there isn't I'll just plant a few of those carnivorous plants and use it as a pseudo-panic room. 

Nearby wormholes, rocky areas, or pig villages are a plus. 

Lately I've been thinking about trying out a base near or in a desert as of late, because all those tumbleweeds provide lots of resources and cooked cactus restores sanity.

What do you do if you start in spring? 

I always spent 3 days finding these important features :

A wormhole,
Pig village, king.
Glommer statue.
At least one spider den.

Then I build usually in the middle of these features, near the wormhole if possible, since I like the wormhole system a lot. Then I spend all my time before winter to set up a 40 grass/30 twig farm, 2 crockpot and 1 ice box. All free time is dedicated to getting more materials, especially rocks since I like walls. (Even if they are nearly useless. But I like them)

Then in winter I hunt **** for food and mainly try to explore the whole map and get a deerclops eyeball.

Summer I would essencially bunker up and just live on a few berry bushes + flingo, going out on run with a frozen stone.

Then in THE SEASON OF RAIN, I usually explore + pretty up my base. I really do try to make it very pretty. This season and this season alone, I abuse my farm with constant harvesting.

If I make it over day 100, I try to export some bunnies from the caves to inside. I usually have 10 farms filled up with carrots in order to do that. I never replant without having the seeds.

What do you do if you start in spring? 

I still have the same base camp strategy, but I try to rush an Umbrella as soon as possible (I dislike parasols, I feel like it's a waste of flowers but I have to use them until I get enough mats for Umbrella).

As soon as that's done I scour everywhere for clockworks and try to get enough gears to build first an Ice Box and then enough to hopefully get a Snow Flinger (or w/e it's called).  Then I'll turn my pickaxe into a thermal stone.  Once I have those things I can survive the incoming summer no problem.  Just lots of traps for meat and such. If I'm really lucky I try to even rush a bee box quickly because honey is just so good. 

Anddd I just died on day 98 in the ruins with webber :( Stupid nightmare monsters....

Archived