what do you do as WX in spring?

Cry, mostly...

At first, make your primary objective to get twigs, grass and flowers for a pretty parasol. That'll at least dampen the damage, ever so slightly. I think a straw hat may also help, but it won't fully nullify the water damage, just turn it down a notch (I think). After that, If you can find pigs, craft a hammer and tear down all their houses indiscriminately for Pig Skins and try to kill a couple spiders for their silk, then use a Science Machine to craft yourself a proper umbrella and make a Football Helmet too for good measure (or just keep with the Straw Hat, I think either are near equally effective, though I could be mistaken).

With those two together, you should be able to block out moderate rains for the rest of Spring, though heavier rains will still get you wet. You should be able to survive with the Umbrella and Football Helmet though.

Aside from that, I recommend finding skeletons or bones out in the desert, and smashing them with a hammer for bone shards, which will help you craft a Rain Coat. You'll also need tentacle spots and rope, the rope is easy but for the tentacle spots you'll need to find a swampland and enjoy some Spider/Merm vs. Tentacle action until one of the Tentacles drops a spot on death, don't engage them directly because Tentacles are one of the more painful enemies to fight, I usually avoid them outright and let the Swampland just fight itself until it drops what I need.

If you want a Rain Hat for even more wetness protection, use that Straw Hat I recommended earlier and combine it with two Moleworms (they need to be alive, so bonk them on the head, again using your trusty hammer, and they'll be stunned, allowing you to pick them up) and another bone shard and you'll stay nice and dry in even the heaviest of downpour. Keep in mind you'll need an Alchemy Engine to craft the Rain Coat and Hat.

I'll level with you though, the biggest pain is that you can't really take the time you'd usually want to take (around 5-7 days) to find an optimal spot for your base, so while you're dealing with all the other aspects of survival, rain can really start to feel like a nuisance that forces you to settle down in an area that you'll end up regretting in the long-term. Still, if you know your way around well enough, you should be alright. Good luck, WX can be very tough to start out with in the Spring.

Anyways, to sum it all up:

NO SCIENCE REQUIRED

4 twigs + 3 grass + 6 flowers = Pretty Parasol

12 grass = Straw Hat

SCIENCE MACHINE

6 twigs + 1 pig skin + 2 spider silk = Umbrella

1 pig skin + 1 rope = Football Helmet

ALCHEMY ENGINE

2 tentacle spots + 2 rope + 2 bone shards = Rain Coat

2 moleworms + 1 straw hat + 1 bone shard = Rain Hat

Hope this helps. :)

I would recommend to start in autumn and kill a Deerclops in the following winter. With the eyebrella you easily gain 100% rain protection and don't have to worry about rain anymore.

So far this works on the surface but spelunking in the caves in spring gains another difficulty, since you will need a miners hat to get enough light. A rain coat helps but you will sometimes need armor.

The best thing for WZ underground when it is constantly raining, is the lantern. With the eyebrella equipped, some armor on your body and a lantern you can easily explore. The only "annoying" thing with that is, that you have to place the lantern on the ground everytime you need your hands.

Yeah, 1% is so high. I think I've got gears from a tumbleweed only once.

it's a very boring playstyle, but it's viable. have your base near desert, run around all day chsing tumbleweeds with a walking cane or a torch at night. you can survive from only tumbleweed loot

Thought I would hop in and give some observations since I am currently doing a WX-78 run and am on day 245 now.

I only started using the raincoat during my last spring since I was having trouble finding those tentacle spots, but that thing is beast.  If you've learned to kite well then you won't have to worry about armor as much.  The raincoat alone seems to be enough to negate rain.  It might be possible for some storms to be stronger than others, but the raincoat is where it's at.  I wouldn't waste much time with the umbrellas as they never seem to help enough.  Standing under atree helps a little and a campfire will obvioulsy drain your wetness fast if you let it get too high.

The caves seem to never stop raining during spring even if it isn't raining up top, so don't assume running down there is a good idea.  Again, I believe the raincoat might negate wetness completely in many cases, so try it in the caves.

P.S.: I go hunting for tumbleweeds all the time and have only found a couple gears.  They might as well not be renewable.

As Quady14 and RobbyStark have noted.

If not in Spring at the beginning, your best bet is some Deerclops hunting for the rain hat. Not only is it awesome for spring, but it rocks in summer too! Just use a sewing kit after the end of a season, and disengage it when not in rain/heat (such as at an endothermic fire or dusk.) 

For those who have WX and you start in spring, get a Pretty parasol and straw hat  ASAP! No, it won't totally protect you, but it will help. Also, trees are your friend. Feel free to not only stop there to halt wetness accumulation, but make your fires under them at night to start. of course if raining, always gather additional burnable resources for the duration. If there is a wetness emergency, also use this to dry off more as well. 

Get an umbrella when you get that science machine whether you hammer pig houses or fight pigs/werepigs (my favorite as you get it and the 2 meat.) Even if it almost completely (90%) prevents wetness/completely prevents system overload, it's a temporary low-durability but longer than 2 days (it lasts constantly equipped for 6 days) measure, and it doesn't help (unless you wish to expend it faster) in combat. Now that you have a consistent protection, gather materials and make a rain hat and/or rain coat. remember, ANY clothing besides the rain hat, rain Coat and Eyebrella only offers 20% wetness protection. This may work coupled with a Rain Hat as an umbrella would, but alone with 20%, it really only gives you about a day and a half if the rain is constantly coming down without any subsequent breaks. (And with low durations of 5 days for the lower-tiered headwear, it's just a waste of resources which can take 3-5 days themselves to renew.) 

I realize there are those who are dependent on packs and simply refuse to use a body slot. However, the raincoat is the only long-durability item that completely protects you against both rain and lightning strikes, including the telelocator staff. Even if you decide to use a rain hat only with some other protection/take the difference and tough it out, make and keep a rain coat for that staff later! 

Of course, your goal still is to make it to winter to make a Eyebrella which not only  is 100% and works great in summer, but can be renewed with a sewing kit (and thus doesn't use limited resources anymore like the re-created rain hat and rain coat does.)  

For all of these, disengage the item(s) use when it is NOT raining. This will conserve durability, especially for the non-sewing kit items. 

Finally, use the Lightning to your advantage! if halfway down in health, consider disengaging the protection and intentionally being hit by lightning/attack a volt goat and system overload. it's a better healing method and as long as you carry a Football helmet and spiked tentacle/hambat or above, you should easily handle the Nightmares if you can't mitigate your sanity with foods/sleep structures. (You ARE making them ASAP as WX, right?) 

But like Wigfrid, your goal is to find that gold and make a base immediately for non-temporary wetness protection (often the umbrella.) In the same way you play WX as the first world in "A Cold Reception" do not stop until you have made that well-positioned to resources base and have crafted  your anti-wetness clothing and accessories. 

He was my favorite character you know (now that is being threatened by Wigfrid :grin: )

I've got a similar situation only with Wendy instead of Wigfrid, I still consider WX to be my favorite character personality-wise, but now that I've been consistently summoning Abigail to help me fight battles I'm really starting to enjoy her play style, makes fighting off Killer Bees and Spiders, even Hounds so much easier (though she did end up killing a fire hound at my base and torching a majority of my structures, but that was more the hound's fault than hers, she has no situational awareness). I just wish she wasn't such a downer about everything I love, especially Glommer, she seems to really hate Glommer. XD

I've got a similar situation only with Wendy instead of Wigfrid, I still consider WX to be my favorite character personality-wise, but now that I've been consistently summoning Abigail to help me fight battles I'm really starting to enjoy her play style, makes fighting off Killer Bees and Spiders, even Hounds so much easier (though she did end up killing a fire hound at my base and torching a majority of my structures, but that was more the hound's fault than hers, she has no situational awareness). I just wish she wasn't such a downer about everything I love, especially Glommer, she seems to really hate Glommer. XD

*Wendy*

Now Abby, Glommer just wants to be your friend! He got quite a scare when you almost killed him! Why don't you show how sorry you are by giving him, um her, um...it a big hug now?

*Glommer*

BZZZEURRZZZ

*Abigail floats over to Glommer, looking like she's going to hug him, then...*

...Killing Glommer*

Abby,...NOOOOOOOOO! 

Archived