Backpack slot

Hi guys, first time I make a post, please go easy on me xD.

So here's the deal, currently Don't Starve allows you to have only one chest piece equiped, be it a backpack or a Puffy Vest (for example). While i know that this is probably intended to increase the dificulty of the game, it doesn't make much sense to me. Anyone that has had to wear a backpack on a winter day knows that it is not impossible to wear a backpack with a jacket. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I think the game should have a separate slot, just for backpacks, piggy backs or even Krampus sacks. While this is probably already modded somewhere, I think it should be part of the vanilla, for the simple fact that it is something that makes some sense and doesn't seem that hard to implement. You just need to change the type of object that a backpack is, which is probably a clothing object right now, and make it a diffrent kind of object just for the backpack slot. 

Let me know your opinion :)

P.S: I am very sorry if this was already discussed, or even if this is the wrong forum to post it to( if so please move this topic elsewhere).

Well thank you for being so polite, and welcome to the forums - I hope you enjoy your stay! I like to think we're all very friendly here.

Now onto the topic in question: Backpacks getting their own unique slot, yes or no?

I don't think this is a good idea for Vanilla, and let me explain why with the following:

• Game Design.
  • It doesn't make sense logically.
  • There is probably a mod for it already.

I'll be dividing each of these topics into three seperate sections so bear with me.

.::GAME DESIGN::.

The Backpack, in exchange for taking your chest-piece equipment slot gives you 8 additional inventory slots. Once you have a Science Machine, the option of building a Log Suit comes into play - the other chest-piece equipment slot item you would use.

Now, think about this. Imagine being able to have 8 extra inventory slots - while always having 80% damage reduction until your log suit breaks. What's the trade-off? Why would I ever not wear both at the same time?

How it is currently, asks you what is more important to you in a current situation; dependant upon the variables of said situation. Let's say I want to fight some spiders, I have my backpack currently equipped, with my spear and log suit in my inventory ready to equip. I start using the spear, then the Log Suit (Dropping my backpack) to go and kill the spiders. Then I return to equip my backpack; storing the spear and log suit in my inventory, alongside all the spider loot that may have dropped.

Easy peasy.

As it is now, holding a spear and log suit only costs two inventory slots from an item that gives you 8; why couldn't I simply switch between the backpack and log suit as needed? More importantly, if the backpack had it's own slot that would mean I would only ever need to carry my spear inside my inventory - since I'd never take the log suit off.

As interesting as the idea is, if the player gets caught out by hounds while wearing a backpack instead of putting a log suit on with the 50 million warnings the developer/character gives when hounds are coming it is the players fault.

Though, I think you're talking more about simple convenience and well - I don't find managing 2 items of my inventory I rarely need to equip all that difficult or impeding. Why do the extra work if it genuinely isn't needed in the game?

.::LOGIC::.

Don't Starves time-scale goes like this:

8 minutes in real life = 24 Hours in Don't Starve (A Day)

Any character in the game, regardless of age or physical fitness is capable of carrying 8 extra inventory slots worth of items in their backpack, (This includes the armour that they would otherwise equip, I believe for game reasons) for 24 hours straight 7 days a week.

Now imagine if you were wearing both the armour and the backpack at the same time; with the backpack filled to the brink (8 items). How much heavier would it be than just having the backpack OR armour equipped on their own? I assume that armour is meant to be as heavy as the backpack - hence why you equip it independent of a backpack. If you had both equipped how much would it slow you down? (As much as a Piggy-back?)

None of the characters in the game are soldiers, they were not trained to run in both full combat gear while carrying a couple hundred pounds of stuff with them. (Not a bad mod character idea though.) Not even real soldiers had backpacks, if they actually needed to wear armour (The farthest you could stretch this is belt pouches or pouches around on person.) They usually had an assistant such as a squire, because otherwise they would literally be too heavy. (Squire Chester anybody?)

This gets even worse when you look into how much heavier certain suits of armour would be over others.

• Grass Suit is applicable to wearing a backpack at the same time, though it'd get pretty hot.

• The Log Suit is where things start to get heavy, have you ever filled a firepit with lumber? Imagine carrying around every single log you throw into the firepit on your person at all times 24/7 with a big backpack on your back. Not fun.

• Marble Suit. Im not going go find out marbles actual weight - just think if all your clothes turned to stone for 24 hours.

• Night Armour is probably another acceptable one - though who wants to go insane?

• Scalemail is just plain to heavy to carry a backpack with. Imagine it.

• I have no idea if Thulecite weighs alot, or very little - I just know it's probably enough to justify hurting yourself if you add more weight like a backpack on top of it. 

• Snurtle Shell Armor is impossible to wear a backpack with anyways, you'd be able to put things in the Shell sure but then how would you go inside to protect yourself from enemies?

Unless you had a more modern suit of armor - there is simply no way you could logically carry a backpack that heavy at the same time - unless you were a beast.

DORA_BACKPACK_KNIGHT.png

Now imagine combining any of those heavier armors with a Piggyback or Krampus sack chocked completely FULL of items. (Regardless of the items weight.) In game terms how much should it slow you down if you wear scale-mail and the piggyback at the same time? You would hardly be able to move at all!

If it were to make sense it would atleast need to slow you down in some way wearing both - but as it is now; why bother when you can store the armor and your weapon in your inventory, bring them out as needed and run back to equip the backpack after it drops? I don't even find it that inconvenient.

.::MODS::.

If you really want to have a backpack slot, here are a couple mods from various sources:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249713554

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/56-backpack-amulet-slot-mods/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/200-pack-in-inventory/

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your stay! I hope these mods give you what you're looking for!

(I never got a welcome to the forums :( )

Honestly, i like it better with there only being 'one' slot. Though it does get annoying, it's better this way. Although there are mods out there that let you do it.

Also it may or may not be more realistic. (Not saying that being realistic > gameplay)

Well thank you for being so polite, and welcome to the forums - I hope you enjoy your stay! I like to think we're all very friendly here.

Now onto the topic in question: Backpacks getting their own unique slot, yes or no?

I don't think this is a good idea for Vanilla, and let me explain why with the following:

• Game Design.
  • It doesn't make sense logically.
  • There is probably a mod for it already.

I'll be dividing each of these topics into three seperate sections so bear with me.

.::GAME DESIGN::.

The Backpack, in exchange for taking your chest-piece equipment slot gives you 8 additional inventory slots. Once you have a Science Machine, the option of building a Log Suit comes into play - the other chest-piece equipment slot item you would use.

Now, think about this. Imagine being able to have 8 extra inventory slots - while always having 80% damage reduction until your log suit breaks. What's the trade-off? Why would I ever not wear both at the same time?

How it is currently, asks you what is more important to you in a current situation; dependant upon the variables of said situation. Let's say I want to fight some spiders, I have my backpack currently equipped, with my spear and log suit in my inventory ready to equip. I start using the spear, then the Log Suit (Dropping my backpack) to go and kill the spiders. Then I return to equip my backpack; storing the spear and log suit in my inventory, alongside all the spider loot that may have dropped.

Easy peasy.

As it is now, holding a spear and log suit only costs two inventory slots from an item that gives you 8; why couldn't I simply switch between the backpack and log suit as needed? More importantly, if the backpack had it's own slot that would mean I would only ever need to carry my spear inside my inventory - since I'd never take the log suit off.

As interesting as the idea is, if the player gets caught out by hounds while wearing a backpack instead of putting a log suit on with the 50 million warnings the developer/character gives when hounds are coming it is the players fault.

Though, I think you're talking more about simple convenience and well - I don't find managing 2 items of my inventory I rarely need to equip all that difficult or impeding. Why do the extra work if it genuinely isn't needed in the game?

.::LOGIC::.

Don't Starves time-scale goes like this:

8 minutes in real life = 24 Hours in Don't Starve (A Day)

Any character in the game, regardless of age or physical fitness is capable of carrying 8 extra inventory slots worth of items in their backpack, (This includes the armour that they would otherwise equip, I believe for game reasons) for 24 hours straight 7 days a week.

Now imagine if you were wearing both the armour and the backpack at the same time; with the backpack filled to the brink (8 items). How much heavier would it be than just having the backpack OR armour equipped on their own? I assume that armour is meant to be as heavy as the backpack - hence why you equip it independent of a backpack. If you had both equipped how much would it slow you down? (As much as a Piggy-back?)

None of the characters in the game are soldiers, they were not trained to run in both full combat gear while carrying a couple hundred pounds of stuff with them. (Not a bad mod character idea though.) Not even real soldiers had backpacks, if they actually needed to wear armour (The farthest you could stretch this is belt pouches or pouches around on person.) They usually had an assistant such as a squire, because otherwise they would literally be too heavy. (Squire Chester anybody?)

This gets even worse when you look into how much heavier certain suits of armour would be over others.

• Grass Suit is applicable to wearing a backpack at the same time, though it'd get pretty hot.

• The Log Suit is where things start to get heavy, have you ever filled a firepit with lumber? Imagine carrying around every single log you throw into the firepit on your person at all times 24/7 with a big backpack on your back. Not fun.

• Marble Suit. Im not going go find out marbles actual weight - just think if all your clothes turned to stone for 24 hours.

• Night Armour is probably another acceptable one - though who wants to go insane?

• Scalemail is just plain to heavy to carry a backpack with. Imagine it.

• I have no idea if Thulecite weighs alot, or very little - I just know it's probably enough to justify hurting yourself if you add more weight like a backpack on top of it. 

• Snurtle Shell Armor is impossible to wear a backpack with anyways, you'd be able to put things in the Shell sure but then how would you go inside to protect yourself from enemies?

Unless you had a more modern suit of armor - there is simply no way you could logically carry a backpack that heavy at the same time - unless you were a beast.

DORA_BACKPACK_KNIGHT.png

Now imagine combining any of those heavier armors with a Piggyback or Krampus sack chocked completely FULL of items. (Regardless of the items weight.) In game terms how much should it slow you down if you wear scale-mail and the piggyback at the same time? You would hardly be able to move at all!

If it were to make sense it would atleast need to slow you down in some way wearing both - but as it is now; why bother when you can store the armor and your weapon in your inventory, bring them out as needed and run back to equip the backpack after it drops? I don't even find it that inconvenient.

.::MODS::.

If you really want to have a backpack slot, here are a couple mods from various sources:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249713554

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/56-backpack-amulet-slot-mods/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/200-pack-in-inventory/

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your stay! I hope these mods give you what you're looking for!

Yeah I guess what you say makes perfect sense, especially the part about the weight of the items. I Lol'ed really hard about the Knight with the bag.

Thanks for all the replys :)

Yeah I guess what you say makes perfect sense, especially the part about the weight of the items. I Lol'ed really hard about the Knight with the bag.

Thanks for all the replys :-)

Glad I could make you laugh!

Also if you ever want to scrunch up longer posts so that it doesn't stretch out the forum page you should follow these steps:

Click the button below,

A spoiler condenses all the text inside into an easy to read format that doesn't clutter the page up!

As you can see here, our forum system has alot of buttons to press! 

Post_System.png

Post_System2.png

One of the most important being the BBCode button! This gives you alot of unique options such as the spoiler.

Click the button circled above, hit the drop-down menu and go to Spoiler!

Then copy paste whatever you want inside and it will all be conveniently wrapped up in a box that doesn't make the forum go on forever! This helps prevent my LOOOONG post from eating up an entire forum page on their own!

If you want to spoiler a quote! (You cant copy paste them into the box) Go up next to the quote, and type "

[\spoiler]" Simply replace the \ in [\spoiler] with an / and it should work!

Thanks for reading to help keep the forums clean and in good shape!

Enjoy your stay @Burningame:happypigs:

DORA_BACKPACK_KNIGHT.png

I only liked this post for the picture. I didn't read the rest of it.

I'm sorry.

I only liked this post for the picture. I didn't read the rest of it.

I'm sorry.

I only liked this post for the reaction. I did read all of it, damn it this "say-the-same-thing-as-the-poster" joke is ruined!

I'm sorry.

Also that's totally fine - my posts are gigantic. Read at your own discretion.  :wilson_ecstatic:

I always chuckle when i hear these arguments about what makes sense in a videogame. Is it realistic that i can't wear a backpack while having a jacket? No, it is not. Nor it is realistic that i can craft a shadow armour with paper and imagination, or that i can't wear a sweather under my armour. But games are not simulation of real life and what makes sense in real life has no place whatsoever in any videogame other than an instructional flight simulator. Mechanics are never meant to be realistic nor should ever be, rather are only subject to the game experience. And designing a backpack without any drawback (craft, wear and forget) is a no-choice and bad mechanic design. I hate how limited is the inventory in this game but i'm quite sure it's one of the things that makes this game enjoyable.

i dont see anything bad to have backpack slot, and inb4 you call me easymoder - i have to say there already easy mode in vanilla game which must be fixed - prebuilding objects.

I almost never used it before, only once when thinking about second base for summer.

But for now i think that its greatest "cheat" in game, since you dont have to waste slot space for resources.

And its much worse "cheat" than having backpack slot.

Its allows to avoid base destruction in summer or by giants. Who cares about backpack when you able to rebuild whole base in seconds, you cant lose prebuilded objects, thats issue.

If you cancel placing object - resources must return. Now have fun "true gamers".

i dont see anything bad to have backpack slot, and inb4 you call me easymoder - i have to say there already easy mode in vanilla game which must be fixed - prebuilding objects.

I almost never used it before, only once when thinking about second base for summer.

But for now i think that its greatest "cheat" in game, since you dont have to waste slot space for resources.

And its much worse "cheat" than having backpack slot.

Its allows to avoid base destruction in summer or by giants. Who cares about backpack when you able to rebuild whole base in seconds, you cant lose prebuilded objects, thats issue.

If you cancel placing object - resources must return. Now have fun "true gamers".

How exactly do you prebuild? I want to know about that.

How exactly do you prebuild? I want to know about that.

Make something then move very quickly if it's an item or right click if it's a building. It lets you build it whenever you want. It's helpful for if you already had a camp and want to teleportate to another world.

i have to say there already easy mode in vanilla game which must be fixed - prebuilding objects.

Why would you fix that? It doesn't need to be fixed, it's there for a reason. In fact, it's there for pretty much EXACTLY what you said.

Make something then move very quickly if it's an item or right click if it's a building. It lets you build it whenever you want. It's helpful for if you already had a camp and want to teleportate to another world.

lol to cheat you dont need to "move quickly" just press right mouse button or ESC.

and yes, this is cheat/easymode that you can teleport it to another world, especially in Adventure Mode

You can't pre-built things like clothes, right? Only structure I thought.

sure, but its opens another method of gathering resources - you dont need backpack at all, just prebuild anything in place with resources and destroy it/place it when required.

tell me that its not easymode. 8 additional slots is nothing to compare with this.

I agree it makes things easier. I only use that method for endo fires/pits. I also keep a flinger pre-built so I can check if things are being covered in case of a fire. Or if I plan on building an outpost. I like to be able to just drop that stuff.... Or in adventure mode..... So other than those few reasons, I NEVER use easy mode ><

Archived