Problem with deerclops

It is not a really bad thing, that he was killed. You now have some things to eat! XD

At my friend's PS4 he appeared at every winter. IDK why at your currently so late. Maybe he have soooo low rate to spawn? (That means my friend have bigger luck than me 0.0 )

By the way Deerclops is not so important. I hate him. He killed my Willow at day #480 (or somwhere about this) in DS-B. He only gives this crap eye that is useless on PS4 for me. I am finding more mandrakes in... summer? (I really forgot, how it is at PS4... Now RoG is the best.)

But that's just my way of thinking and if you though other things about that, I'll calm down.

I just wanted the eye to build the houndius shotius. I think I have a theory as to why he spawned so late and Ill explain how I came to this theory. The 4 seasons (2 summers, 2 winters) I have spent all my time massacring rabbits to get krampus to spawn as I want his back pack. now co-incidentally these 4 seasons which I spent entirely on the surface world and confined to one biome is the two winters in a row deerclops spawned. Throughout my game I have spent every summer down in the ruins gathering rare materials and only returning to the surface a day or two before winter so the only logical reason I can think of that deerclops hasnt been spawning has to do with me visiting the ruins?

It's not uncommon that Deerclops didn't show up until much later in the game. There's about a 40% to 60% chance that the Deerclops spawns at any given Winter. Considering how damaging the Deerclops can be when it shows up, I'd say that was pretty good luck!

It's not uncommon that Deerclops didn't show up until much later in the game. There's about a 40% to 60% chance that the Deerclops spawns at any given Winter. Considering how damaging the Deerclops can be when it shows up, I'd say that was pretty good luck!

thanks for clearing that up :-). I dont mind deerclops coming I got roughly 60 +- Beefelo's on the one side of my base, about 20 pig houses and 15 rabbit hutches in my base. 3 Treeguards on the other side of my base's walls (my entire base is surrounded by stone walls which is behind another layer of wooden walls. so if deerclops comes I pretty much just sit back and enjoy the carnage :grin:. now I can finally build houndius shootius's :grin:

I just wanted the eye to build the houndius shotius. I think I have a theory as to why he spawned so late and Ill explain how I came to this theory. The 4 seasons (2 summers, 2 winters) I have spent all my time massacring rabbits to get krampus to spawn as I want his back pack. now co-incidentally these 4 seasons which I spent entirely on the surface world and confined to one biome is the two winters in a row deerclops spawned. Throughout my game I have spent every summer down in the ruins gathering rare materials and only returning to the surface a day or two before winter so the only logical reason I can think of that deerclops hasnt been spawning has to do with me visiting the ruins?

When you visite the caves/ruins, the time in the surface is stopped (just the hounds cooldown and day counting continues) So yeah Deerclops can't spawn whie you're in the ruins.

Out of curiousity, have you seen any Pengulls since your first winter? You could have some world issues that could be "reset" be going to a new Teleportato world. but then again, if ole Deary shows up now, it's not really that important (if you can still get those Jet feathers of course.)  

Out of curiousity, have you seen any Pengulls since your first winter? You could have some world issues that could be "reset" be going to a new Teleportato world. but then again, if ole Deary shows up now, it's not really that important (if you can still get those Jet feathers of course.)  

nope. they only spawned in the first winter but never again since. strange thing is I still come across rotten eggs every now and again. 

Hei, the truthseeker's back! Where were you all this time?

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/38139-im-finally-back-after-a-notable-absence/

nope. they only spawned in the first winter but never again since. strange thing is I still come across rotten eggs every now and again. 

Yeah, consider going to a new world as that one's bugged. The rotten eggs were what the Pengulls left behind the first time they left. 

So I created a new world because my old one got over populated with rock lobsters and in my new world I am on day 280 and not once have I found a deerclops. Every winter I stock up on honey and spend the entire winter running around the map trying to find him but with no luck.

Is it possible this is some kind of bug or is deerclops just extremely rare to find. I have never edited any of the world settings so the frequency of deerclops attacks is at default so I just cant figure out how to find him. Or am I doing something wrong? 

Reason why I so badly want deerclops is I have never built a houndius shootius. I have the ancient guardians horn but just cant find a deerclops. anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

I've only seen the Deerclops once, then it almost killed me and broke all my buildings. Jerk.

I've only played the game for 60 hours total and this will have been a character that literally just got to the first winter. You hear this low growl that sounds like icy breath in the distance and wonder, "What the hell is that?" since I've read about the Deerclops before and it was just turning to winter, I looked up how it signaled it's approach. IT WAS the Deerclops! Oh god oh god oh god all my poor buildings!

Unfortunately I dont know how to solve it without either making a new world or cheating - you're just going to have to be patient.

To solve this issue, perhaps you could make a new world and set Deerclops encounters to more? That way it will show up often in winter! If you can stomach the idea of one coming often instead of sometimes that is!

Or you could just spawn a Deerclops Eyeball on the ground (Why want it to show up otherwise? That thing is hideous!), or spawn a Deerclops itself if you REALLY want it to show up. Here's how:

• Press the ~ key at the top left of your keyboard while in-game
  • c_spawn("deerclops", 1)
  • Or for the Eyeball type: c_give("deerclops_eyeball", 1)
  • Press CTRL + L to remove that annoying wall of text from your screen! Handy!
  • Revel or suffer with your new Eyeball or Monster PET! Deerclops!
  • Be sure to have your cursor far away if you plan on spawning the Deerclops

Actually nevermind it's fine that its here I'll just quote the Original Poster. Derp.

The trick to spawning a Deerclops is to build lots of structures, then stay near them during winter. Each wall segment counts as a structure.

I may be wrong (I haven't looked at the code) but the more established my bases are, the more likely he will "visit".

I like the hound shooter, i just don't like that they are a finite resource. (sad sadness face)

The trick to spawning a Deerclops is to build lots of structures, then stay near them during winter. Each wall segment counts as a structure.

I may be wrong (I haven't looked at the code) but the more established my bases are, the more likely he will "visit".

I like the hound shooter, i just don't like that they are a finite resource. (sad sadness face)

Ahh, no. 

From the Wiki, firstly regarding Walls

Deerclops will in general not target walls, unless the object or mob Deerclops is aiming to destroy is behind a wall. Often, walls and other structures or mobs nearby may suffer collateral damage anyway, despite what Deerclops may target. This is the reason walls don't stand up well to a Deerclops.

Deerclops aims to destroy all structures and then leave. Note that the only structures counted are the ones targeted by Deerclops directly - collateral damage is not counted, meaning many more structures may be destroyed before Deerclops is "done". Naturally, if the Deerclops is aggroed by the player or other mobs, it will hang around to take care of them first, before continuing to destroy structures or leave.

Secondly regarding Spawning (for the sake of discussion, assuming you don't change its setting which is a whole other section on its rates.) 

Additionally, the spawning of Deerclops appears to be tied to the change of snow cover, which regulates when a new Deerclops may spawn. This has the effect that even if Deerclops is set to 1 (i.e. the default), and then killed near the end of winter (when the snow cover may change, but still be above the threshold required for a winter Deerclops), it is entirely possible for another Deerclops to spawn very soon afterwards.

Due to the way snow cover change regulates the Deerclops spawning, the actual number of attacks one will experience may vary wildly from that in the "setting". That is, at best, all one can know for sure is that setting it higher will probably result in more attacks on average, with the possibility of a summer attack on the final setting.

Hey, Hi!

Yeah, I've read that on the Wiki, too - I should have probably put those in my own post, and clarified that those were things that I have found to be more true.

When I build a tight, condensed base with wall around it, he comes. When I build a sprawled out base with no walls, he does not. It may be a coincidence, I do only have a couple of hundred hours under my belt. (ignore my Steam profile, I only got it on Steam a couple of days ago).

Wow, reading over my old post, I feel like one of those guys that just blabs whatever misinformation that I feel is true, vs ""whatnever ain't no truetrue" (Movie reference to Cloud Atlas).I'm usually the guy that does the straightening out! I must have been tired or something....

Wait, did someone here give a console command on setting chance for giants to spawn or something? I can't find it anymore, so does anyone know it? I really need to get a bearger cause I have two items that I can't craft without his thick fur!

Archived