Problem with deerclops

So I created a new world because my old one got over populated with rock lobsters and in my new world I am on day 280 and not once have I found a deerclops. Every winter I stock up on honey and spend the entire winter running around the map trying to find him but with no luck.

Is it possible this is some kind of bug or is deerclops just extremely rare to find. I have never edited any of the world settings so the frequency of deerclops attacks is at default so I just cant figure out how to find him. Or am I doing something wrong? 

Reason why I so badly want deerclops is I have never built a houndius shootius. I have the ancient guardians horn but just cant find a deerclops. anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

So I created a new world because my old one got over populated with rock lobsters and in my new world I am on day 280 and not once have I found a deerclops. Every winter I stock up on honey and spend the entire winter running around the map trying to find him but with no luck.

Is it possible this is some kind of bug or is deerclops just extremely rare to find. I have never edited any of the world settings so the frequency of deerclops attacks is at default so I just cant figure out how to find him. Or am I doing something wrong? 

Reason why I so badly want deerclops is I have never built a houndius shootius. I have the ancient guardians horn but just cant find a deerclops. anyone got any ideas as to what is going on?

You don't find it. It finds you.

You'll hear breathing and then it will spawn just off-screen to attack you.

You don't find it. It finds you.

You'll hear breathing and then it will spawn just off-screen to attack you.

Thats what I initially thought but almost at day 300 and not one encounter? Surely that cant be right. 

Thats what I initially thought but almost at day 300 and not one encounter? Surely that cant be right. 

I had a save where it wasn't until day 200 and something before I saw a single one. On my most recent save, I get one every winter.

Based on my own Don't Starve experience, I'd say giants spawn rate is 75% each season. You have no way to force a giant to spawn, so the only thing you can do is to wait for it.

75% you say. well considering I am almost at day 300 which is like 15+winters that really makes me think theres some kind of bug.

75% you say. well considering I am almost at day 300 which is like 15+winters that really makes me think theres some kind of bug.

Do you find giants during the other seasons? If you do, that's just bad luck. But if you never find giants, it might be a bug of some sorts.

Do you find giants during the other seasons? If you do, that's just bad luck. But if you never find giants, it might be a bug of some sorts.

I am on ps4 so I dont have RoG as it isnt out yet on ps4 so the only giant I can encounter is deerclops. Just badly want to build a hondius shootius :(

He goes for the structures, so build a pig house nearby or something and he should show up to try and smash it. I've had him show up at night in winter when I couldn't really leave the fire, just to wreak havoc on nearby villages and never touch me (though the heavy breathing is disturbing :p ). If it's during the day or dusk, run over, interrupt the smash fest by attacking and then kiting.

It's 50% chance or something. I've had Deerclops 3 times on my save, a Dragonfly and a Goose, no beargers have spawned yet. I have three touchstones left (stupidest death of a pro ever: I died from a Spider queen). The only time I used console was to remove the Rocklobsters from my world. It's quite easy actually.

It's 50% chance or something. I've had Deerclops 3 times on my save, a Dragonfly and a Goose, no beargers have spawned yet. I have three touchstones left (stupidest death of a pro ever: I died from a Spider queen). The only time I used console was to remove the Rocklobsters from my world. It's quite easy actually.

I just dont understand then how I am at day 285 with 0 deerclops's ever appearing. even if deerclops has a 5% chance of spawning I should have encountered him by now mathematically speaking. 

I just dont understand then how I am at day 285 with 0 deerclops's ever appearing. even if deerclops has a 5% chance of spawning I should have encountered him by now mathematically speaking.

Mate, I'm in day three hundred something and Ihaven't encountered a single Bearger. So for me the same thing just with a different giant.

Mate, I'm in day three hundred something and Ihaven't encountered a single Bearger. So for me the same thing just with a different giant.

I think its a bug relating to winter. I havnt encountered any pengulls in my world after my first winter. The pengull icons shows up on my world map but there literally have never been any after my first winter. 

There's your problem right there, Deerclops almost never spawns in the base game. Sorry!

I still have games without RoG and I've seen deerclops only once in one game (had like 10/15 games, 1 with 360 days and another with 200)

I think without RoG spawn rate of deerclops might be like... 10%?

Yeah, Deefclops for Vanilla might have lower rate. Played a lot of Vanilla during Winter, only once I got a deerclops which I didn't even bother to encounter (yes, I was a sissy with him back then).

Lol funniest thing ever just happened. So Im on my 3rd or 4th last day of winter and I hear a deep groaning sound followed by my character commenting on it. So I realise deerclops finally spawned. So I try frantically searching for him running around the map like a mad man trying to find him with no luck. I almost gave up hope until I came across this. then I just burst into tears with laughter.10464189_1455632664693531_42681566438896

Lol funniest thing ever just happened. So Im on my 3rd or 4th last day of winter and I hear a deep groaning sound followed by my character commenting on it. So I realise deerclops finally spawned. So I try frantically searching for him running around the map like a mad man trying to find him with no luck. I almost gave up hope until I came across this. then I just burst into tears with laughter.10464189_1455632664693531_42681566438896

When you hear the noise and get the warning you don't need to go looking for him, just wait and pretty soon the ground will start to shake - he always spawns next to where you are and I've always had him come into view straight after the ground shakes, unless there's a structure nearby in the other direction that he goes towards. 

If you run around, chances are you'll run in the wrong direction and miss him. 

If you want to be sure not to miss him, build a fire pit and wait by it when you get the warning, as he'll most likely come over to smash it (just try not to be near your base at the time, if you don't want that smashed too).

When you hear the noise and get the warning you don't need to go looking for him, just wait and pretty soon the ground will start to shake - he always spawns next to where you are and I've always had him come into view straight after the ground shakes, unless there's a structure nearby in the other direction that he goes towards. 

If you run around, chances are you'll run in the wrong direction and miss him. 

If you want to be sure not to miss him, build a fire pit and wait by it when you get the warning, as he'll most likely come over to smash it (just try not to be near your base at the time, if you don't want that smashed too).

thing is the ground never shook (probably because the moment he spawned he got gang banged by beefelo's) I was rabbit farming to try spawn and kill krampus at the time and there is a enormous amount of beefelo's in the area so I waited like 3 min after the groaning and nothing attacked me nor did the ground shake. So i went searching for him then I came across that carnage :grin:

thing is the ground never shook (probably because the moment he spawned he got gang banged by beefelo's) I was rabbit farming to try spawn and kill krampus at the time and there is a enormous amount of beefelo's in the area so I waited like 3 min after the groaning and nothing attacked me nor did the ground shake. So i went searching for him then I came across that carnage :grin:

Ah well, plenty to eat at least. ^^

It is not a really bad thing, that he was killed. You now have some things to eat! XD

At my friend's PS4 he appeared at every winter. IDK why at your currently so late. Maybe he have soooo low rate to spawn? (That means my friend have bigger luck than me 0.0 )

By the way Deerclops is not so important. I hate him. He killed my Willow at day #480 (or somwhere about this) in DS-B. He only gives this crap eye that is useless on PS4 for me. I am finding more mandrakes in... summer? (I really forgot, how it is at PS4... Now RoG is the best.)

But that's just my way of thinking and if you though other things about that, I'll calm down.

Archived