Let's Elaborate!

These forums require spiffying up!

So, let us discuss some things, as forumers often do.

So...I have sought out to make a fun little Don't Starve interactive forum game. It goes a little like this:

*I will release a question that we must try to elaborate on about Don't Starve. I release a new one when I feel the question has been answered.

*Why may you consider this fun? Because it is. It brings the forum family together and gets us thinking.

*If I am not able to be on for a certain period of time, I will alert you all.

Okay, here we go:

What do you all think the sounds in the swamps or at night consist of. Who (or what) are their owners? Let's elaborate!

:o! It could be tons of things!

The gurgling sounds could be tentacles slithering through the mucky ground. The far off cries could be the mermen, or perhaps crows cawing in the distance.

The gurgling could also actually be rumbling, since it is known that the tentacles reach far down into the ground, so all that noise could be the tentacles travelling.

I really like this elaboration idea! Good call Crapplejacks!

:o! It could be tons of things!

The gurgling sounds could be tentacles slithering through the mucky ground. The far off cries could be the mermen, or perhaps crows cawing in the distance.

The gurgling could also actually be rumbling, since it is known that the tentacles reach far down into the ground, so all that noise could be the tentacles travelling.

I really like this elaboration idea! Good call Crapplejacks!

Thank you! I like those ideas!

And as for the HA ha HA, I have heard it. If I were crazy, I'd say it sounds like a crazed primate. Oh wait, I am crazy. I think it's a crazed primate.

I think she doesn't much of a personality outside of whatever character she's playing: she's a hardcore method actress, she gets lost in every role she's playing, and when she's unemployed she spends most of her time begging theatre managers to hire her. Maybe the reason she is a good fighter, is because, before being pulled into DS world, she learned how to fight in preparation for her role of a valkyrie.

Maybe the swamp turf itself is a living thing. Like some part kind of substance that allows tentacles to grow and live there. Maybe it's mad when you walk on it, but not mad when merms walk on it because they have wet feet?

Oh! What Wigfrid is like?

I like the idea that perhaps she made a deal with Maxwell so that her acting would always be perfect. So perfect that no one would be able to tell she was acting. Because she is so dedicated to her role that her body actually cannot eat fruits or vegetables while in character.

I think it would be cool if her acting was assisted by magic.

But without the magic theory, I thnk yes, she is a true method actor who would rather die than break character (considering she starves on the island and could have more food if she ate more than meat).

Oh! What Wigfrid is like?

I like the idea that perhaps she made a deal with Maxwell so that her acting would always be perfect. So perfect that no one would be able to tell she was acting. Because she is so dedicated to her role that her body actually cannot eat fruits or vegetables while in character.

I think it would be cool if her acting was assisted by magic.

But without the magic theory, I thnk yes, she is a true method actor who would rather die than break character (considering she starves on the island and could have more food if she ate more than meat).

I swear, you are on fire today. Okay then, we have answered that. Here we go:

Chess. Clockwork. So very different. However, Don't Starve has melded these two together so they have become one. Clockwork Chess. Why do we think they are there?

I will be very honest; I do not understand completely why Maxwell has clockwork chesspieces.

I thought that Maxwell was supposed to be a magician by trade, so the clockwork chesspieces felt a bit out of place.

To me, that shows that Maxwell is/was probably an inventor of sorts, perhaps using the Codex Umbra to get secrets about technology to build them.

The inventor part of Maxwell is not emphasized or covered very much by Klei, and whenever it is mentioned, it is quite confusing to pinpoint where it fits in the background of Maxwell.

For instance, in the latest puzzle, there was an answer to one of the puzzles which was Antikythera mechanism.  It is an ancient form of technology, which makes me wonder if Klei decided to put it in to hint that it is perhaps a remnant from the ancient civilization that Maxwell makes references to. In the description it says it is used to track stars. That's all speculation there though, it could have a completely different signifigance in the DS universe.

Going back to a previous point, all that has been shown of Maxwell's background is that he is a magician. Whatever he created using the knowledge given to him fom the Codex Umbra hasn't been shown. (Although it has been hinted in Maxwell's dialouge that he was familiar with the technology that could be built on the island).

I really like the idea that Maxwell became a prolific inventor with the Codex Umbra(or perhaps he was before he took up magic). I just wish we could see perhaps him creating a machine or reading about it in the Codex Umbra, because whenever we see Maxwell (like in the poster or the Grand Finale video) , he is always scrictly working with shadows using the codex umbra to summon them.

In short, I think the Clockwork Chesspieces exist because Maxwell does like chess, and that he learned how to make them by either inventing them himself, or he learned how to create them through the Codex Umbra.

CONSIDERING as an afterthought, that you can find broken chesspieces in the ruins of the ancient society, I am leaning towards the theory that Maxwell took the idea/ blueprints for creating clockwork chesspieces from the Codex Umbra.

Although, to counter that, Maxwell does say he knew what the ancient guardian was before it was twisted by nightmare fuel, so perhaps the ruins are not the actual ancient society that was left behind, but a memory of an ancient society that Maxwell learned about in the real world. (Perhaps from where he discovered the Codex Umbra)

Considering that Maxwell created the entire island, even the areas that he does not want to go down himself (the caves and ruins).

Well, before assuming Max made them, let's look at who else could have made them.  The Ancients?  They seem more tuned into the magical side of things.  Then again, the ruins were filled with damaged clockworks next to nightmare lights; maybe after the Fuel turned against them, they built them to combat the shadow creatures? 

They could just be a little arts and crafts project, he does say he kinda "handcrafted them" in a way. Being stuck on that throne for so long, you gotta do everything to keep yourself entertained.

There could also be limits on what he creates and puts in the world. Maybe thats why hounds can only attack every so often, or why giants only show up once a season, if lucky.

This could be why they are (usually) only found in one place, the teleportato thing... thing.

(Also, broken clockworks in the ruins. Whats up with that?)

:o

My theory is that he wasn't the one who wanted to build the clockworks, but They(as in, the creatures who control Maxwell/whoever's in the throne) made him do so. Its easy to see Their influence in the ruins, which is now corrupted by the fuel, and I think They had such influence in there because They knew the ancients had a big knowledge in magic and(maybe) They admired the ancients for that and after They corrupted the ancients, causing their doom, they wanted Maxwell(Who probably also had contact with the ancients before their fall) to build on the world creatures similar to those in the ruined city, kinda like the Clockword Rook is similar to the Ancient Guardian.

No, definitely not.  If she was, things like moggles and and the werebeaver's night vision wouldn't stop her, since they don't generate light; the character is still in the dark.  My theory is that she just doesn't like people seeing her, or maybe she can't attack when people can see her, sort of like a weeping angel.

Archived