There's gotta be a faster way to find the things I want to craft!

I find the current crafting menu system a little frustrating to navigate.  Stuff is in seemingly arbitrary categories so it's hard to find what I want when i need it, and I have to scroll past a lot of stuff that requires super rare materials to make.  Often times I spend an entire in-game day just trying to find stuff in the menu!

Like lets say I want to make a fishing rod.  First I check tools, but it's not there.  Then I check food, because fish is food, but it's not there either.  It's under survival, like the bunny trap.  Ok, that makes sense I guess.  But these lists are super long, and I had to scroll past a bunch of things that require spider web or reeds in order to find it.  And it requires spider webs!  Damn.  Day wasted.

I'd much prefer if the menus mirrored the way I think about crafting in the game, which is largely centered around rare biome-specific objects.  Most things in the game only require one of these, and the rest of their ingredients are common.  I spend a long time seeking out these rare ingredients.  I'll list them from rarest to most common:

Gears -- I have never had these in all my playing so far.  I don't know how to beat the damn chess pieces, nor do I often find them.

Living Logs -- I'm lucky if I encounter one "perfectly normal tree" in a playthrough, and treeguards are hard to beat.  Fortunately, I can just ignore that magic exists until I find one.

Reeds -- Many games I comb the entire map and do not find a single swamp.  There are a lot of recipes I have to scroll past because of this missing ingredient.

Pig Parts -- Maybe it's just because I don't want to kill the pig men, but I've never had pig parts in my inventory, so I always have to scroll past those recipes.

Spider Webs -- Not terribly hard to find, but these recipes are all over the menu system and it's annoying scrolling past them when I haven't found any spiders yet, or have yet to build any combat stuff to fight them without getting myself killed.  Spider glands could be put in the same category.

Rocks and Gold.  These seem pretty biome-specific at the moment.  I've had many games where it took me many days of wandering to ever get ahold of these in the quantity I needed to make a fire circle or a science machine.  Fortunately this is well-handled by the menu system, as those two recipes are the only ones to require these ingredients until you make the science machine.

There could be a few more categories for bee stuff, and other rare miscellaneous items like glow bugs (need spider web to make a net to get them) and marble (never seen it).

Btw, playing the game without a science machine makes it feel a bit lobotomized, as you don't see much complexity until you get one.  This makes me prefer playing as Wickerbottom.

Common materials that show up everywhere are things like logs, grass, twigs, and flint.  Ash and charcoal also belong in this category as they can be made easily.

Anyway, I was just thinking it'd be cool if the menu system let me see what I can build without having to scroll through a bunch of blacked out items, or if I could specifically ask it "what can I do with spider webs"?  Or even "what can I do with only basic ingredients?"

I'd like for this system to assume that if I have grass and have ropes prototyped that I should still see recipes that call for rope even if I don't have any rope in my inventory.  That's a trivial conversion to make.

Also I find it annoying that both weapons and armor are under the same tab Combat.  I have to scroll around a big list of armor I will never be able to make because it requires marble, before I can find the spear and boomerang I need to survive.

In Minecraft and Terraria it doesn't even show you the recipes you can't make right now.  I guess I'm used to this.  It means I have to internalize the ingredients required to make something, which often means I can pull it off faster.  Though time and inventory space isn't nearly as much at a premium in these games, so I wouldn't notice the problem anyway.

So, some ideas on how to implement this:

Add a checkbox toggle somewhere on the sidebar that hides all recipes you can't currently make (ones that would be blacked out) unless you have all the things needed to make the the things those things need (rope from reeds, for example).

Add sub-categories under the existing categories.  For example, combat could be sectioned into armor, weapons, and darts (since there are many kinds of darts).  Survival could have tools, traps, healing items, and sleeping items (which I will almost never make because sleeping is pointless).

Perhaps add a second set of sub-categories beside those, which are based on rare biome-specific items.  They would be like: common, spider stuff, pig stuff, swamp stuff (reeds), magic stuff (logs, gems), bee stuff, chess/maxwell stuff, or just rare/weird stuff.

These two sub-category systems could be displayed at the same time -- like, one set of categories on the top half of the bar and the other on the bottom half.  If there's not enough vertical space, they could be zig-zagged.

Or recategorize everything based on their function.  Have a category for immovable structures like fire, crock pots, farms, etc.  One for wieldable items, one for wearable items, one for hats, and one for things that don't fit any of these categories.  Perhaps settable things like traps could be a category too.  Then I will always know that the fishing rod is in the wieldable section.  Some items may be difficult to categorize here, like the lantern: does it go in wieldable, or is it more like a settable trap?  But overall this scheme would be good.

There could be a crafting menu that begins at the inventory pane.  You could select a thing in your inventory and get a list of all of the things you can craft with it, sorted by how many missing ingredients you have.  This would be a good way to decide what to use your limited supply of living logs or gears or webs for.  It'd be great to see a list of all of your options.

Another great option would be the ability to just type the name of the thing you want to make and have it auto-complete for you.

Currently, I'm finding it a better option to just pause the game and go to the wiki to find out how to make things, rather than wasting limited daylight time in-game looking through the menus.  I guess what I'm really asking for here is to have the power of the wiki integrated into the game.  Perhaps that's asking too much though.

It seems that you are not exploring the map thoroughly enough before settling to your base.  By the end of the first season you want to at least have explored the entire coastline of the map.   I also use signs to mark important things I want to come back to.  So for example on a savannah biome I always put a sign if there are beefalo.  If I see a chessboard I drop a sign there as well.  Finally, remember that armor and helmet (log armor and football helmet) absorb a rediculous amount of damage so drop the backback before combat!

1,Living logs:  

They are dropped by the creepy trees and those appear on the map.  Use the map.

You can also get them from treeguards by planting clusters of about 10-15 pinecones very close together.  Wait for some to grow to full maturity, and then clear cut them, SMALLEST FIRST.  You will probably get a treeguard.  If you do, plant another pine cone to calm him down, then grab about 5 pigs and come back and kill the treeguard.

2.  Gears, they are found in the chessboard biomes again a full once over on the map should reveal these clearly on the map.  Go there with about 4 pigs and you can easily kill them.  Each horse thingy drops at least 2.

3.  Rocks and gold are VERY abundant and you can get gold without digging if you find a graveyard.  Also the pig king will give you gold for eggs or jerky.

4.  You must not be combing the entire map if you can't find swamps.  I seriously recommend going around the entire parimeter of the map.

5.  Pig parts.  Your base shoudl be near a pig village.  Here's an easy way to get pig parts.  Cook a bunch of monster meat (like from spiders), then feed it to every pig man in the village.  Then one by one, start combat with one of your allies, all your other allies will attack him until there is one left.  Usually one or two hits will kill him.

Another great way to get pig parts is to destroy pig houses with the hammer.  Pick ones that are all by themselves.  1)  Kill the pig in front of it, you will have a 25% cance of getting pig skin.  

Hammering his house will give you another 2 guaranteed.

Finally when you hammer his house another pig will come out with a 25% drop.

As for the menus, you have a point, they are not the easiest to navigate.  Good luck!  Post other questions if you have them.

Gears, pig skins and silk can be easily obtained you need to grab your spear and go kill things. They aren't rare ( gears a little ) but you need to go out and earn them! Living logs though can be hard. I've gone 160 days without spawning a tree guard and some games I get one after 10 days.

It takes a while to get use to the crafting system but once you play enough you know where everything in every category is. :)

<p>A few things...</p>

<p>Not to be elitest or anything, but the main problem I think you are having is that you are unfamiliar with the game in general. Granted, it would be nice to be able to define a custom set of categories and that there could be improvments made to the current lists... but every person would have a different organizational method so no matter how the lists are laid out it won't be intuitive to everyone.  In addition, many of the players that have a lot of experience with the game know where to look by memory and changing it now would make it even harder for them then learning where their original locations were.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Gears: A log suit and a spear is all it takes to take on a bishop or a knight... but if you're feeling like playing with fire, you can make the rook kill the others my carefully placing yourself between him and a target until he tries to charge.  I've also found many set pieces where gears just sit in the open. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pig Parts: Hammer the pig heads around touchstones and in the swamps.. yields 2 pig tails each so that's 8 per touchstone. </p>

<p>Also you can hammer existing pig houses, even if they are sleeping inside they won't attack. They'll be homeless but at least you won't have killed them. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rocks/Gold: Loose rocks on the ground are great. You don't need to make a pick, you don't end up with nitre and flint clogging up the inventory. Gold is defintly rarer, but not unusual to find on the ground as well. Just make sure that when you build your Science machine, build a hammer first. This will get you your gold back so you can make another.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Swamps: I have never had a map missing swamps.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Playing without science machine: Given a hammer and a piece of gold a science machine is never hard to get. For the first few days I do nothing but explore the map, this can take upwards of 15 days depending on how hard it is to find the "best" spot. Either way, I usually wait until I have the materials to build an alchemy engine before I place my science machine. (That's the single best tip I could give anyone is to remember that just because you built something doesn't mean you have to place it, for example every time I place a campfire, I immediately build but don't place another) </p>

<p> </p>

<p>All that being said. I use relaxed crafting, a mod to pause the game while searching for something to build and while placing objects. </p>

<p> </p>

I agree with the other people who posted, that some of the things you list as hard to get aren't so hard if you explore properly, and learn a few tactics to kill mobs.

But I do agree that the crafting menu can be frustrating - I also used the wiki a lot when I started, and still occasionally, as I don't want to spend half an in-game day finding the item I need so I know what materials to gather.  Or I find a rare material and have no idea what I can make with it.

I don't think the order being changed would help that much - what seems more logical to one person might seem less so to someone else, plus as has been said, experienced players are used to it as it is.

The ability to customise it in some way would be good, and/or having the pictures still visible even if you haven't prototyped yet so it's easier to spot what you're after. 

Or the game pausing when the menu is open (I did see there's a mod to do that, but I'm trying not to use mods, plus I'm not sure it's RoG compatible).

I just memorize stuff. I can remember everything that is in their tabs and I know mainly what they need to be crafted with. What we need is longer day-night cicles (this way also change in Sanity loss during night and dusk, fuel lasting in fires etc.) and my suggestion is that instead of every day being 16 "hours" long and each "hour" being 30 seconds long, it'd better be if there were 24 "hours" in a day and each "hour" would last 1 minute, which mathematically gives you 200% more time for one day: one daynight process will be 3 times as long.

Sounds like I definitely want that mod! Thanks for making me aware of it.

Thanks for the tip on building without placing too. That sounds like a neat way to stow resources in hammerspace instead of carrying them around. I'll craft a crockpot before I go on a long journey so I don't need to carry around charcoal. This game mechanic seems pretty broken though!

Longer days would definitely allow me to explore more in a day. That would be nice. I often just craft a torch and keep on walking but sometimes it's too cold to go on without a fire.

I didn't think about recruiting massive amounts of pigs. That might be cool. However, so far, every time I've tried to recruit a pig it has immediately turned into a werepig and tried to kill me.

Currently, in my longest game in sandbox mode, I've explored pretty much the entire map but found no chess, no swamps, no weird trees, and I didn't find gold until day 5. I did find maxwells door though, and three of the artifacts. I've set up about five different bases each with crock pots a days journey apart so I can get to everything fast enough.

Last time I tried to fight a bishop using only a spear and a log suit I got my ass handed to me. I guess I should wear a helmet too.

@SquirrelPup

Sounds like you're feeding the pigs too much monster meat at a time - feed one four and it turns into a werepig.  Just one piece will get them to follow you all day.  The only other thing I can think is that they've just been fighting spiders and eaten a lot themselves so your extra piece makes it four.

Also if you didn't find swamp or chess biome it sounds like you didn't check all the edges - sometimes there's a bridge that's not so obvious.  Very occasionally there'll be a separate island that you can only get to through a wormhole.  Check where your wormholes go, as that can be a quick way to travel if you have sanity gear like a top hat handy, and can also help you find where more biomes are early on.

On my current map things are quite spread out, but I've set up my base near frog ponds for a regular food supply (and they're also excellent hound protection), and near to two wormholes one of which goes straight to the swamp and one to the pig village, which also happens to be next to the desert.

My chess biome was in the middle of some savannah where I never would have guessed it could be - I was collecting extra grass and came across it.

Man, it's so much easier with relaxed crafting on.  This is great :grin:.  Totally solves my problem.  Though it is a little worrying that it always informs me that relaxed crafting is out of date every time I start the app.

I started a new game and explored the edges more thoroughly this time.  I've found everything but the living logs.  Cool.  And thanks to the tip about hammering the pig heads, I now have a football helmet.  I'm playing as willow this time, and man willow's lighter is pretty OP.  I can keep walking at night without any fear of running out of torch power.

I'd like to believe that it's up to each player's choice. It may be problematic in multiplayer when that comes out but otherwise there's no harm to it if he's having a fun time from using mods to improve his experience.

I once had his problem and found it aggravating to always lose valuable exploration and harvesting time searching the crafting menu while time marched on. I ended up returning to base early each time because most of my time was spent calculating the resources needed and figuring out where everything was located instead of being out in the field doing stuff. If I rushed out I ran the risk of coming home with less than the amounts needed or the wrong resource types, thus wasting the next day finishing the job. If I didn't take either choice I found myself buried in wiki articles instead, taking me out of the game entirely. There's nothing to be gained from going through all of that except bragging rights for doing it the hard way.

Now that I'm more familiar with things it's no longer a problem but I've retained the relaxed crafting mod for convenience's sake. If I'm over-harvesting and having management problems with excess resources it's more because I'm a hoarder than any fault of the mod.

And regarding gears, either dig up ALL the graves until you find one or two, or use the Rook to charge at you but actually hit the other chess pieces, then finish it off after the other pieces are dead. Unless playing the Wx78, you only need to worry about one gear in the beginning to build the ice box (but save the other gears for later as they will be used for interesting things, edit: especially a second ice box so you can chill multiple thermal stones for summer and have room for meat and veggies too....and blue Chester helps with the overflow foods)

5.  Pig parts.  Your base shoudl be near a pig village.  Here's an easy way to get pig parts.  Cook a bunch of monster meat (like from spiders), then feed it to every pig man in the village.  Then one by one, start combat with one of your allies, all your other allies will attack him until there is one left.  Usually one or two hits will kill him.

I iz Learngin Somenthig!

Thanks for the tip!

I second the Menu problems. Its really hard to find the items you want to craft since going away from you science machine makes all the items you havent prototyped dissapear and you have to scroll again. It would be great if, once you have a science machine the items you havent prototyped yet would stay in your list of items, so you would get used to where on the menu the Item you want to build is. Maybe the unprototyped Items could just be black and not showing recources.

Another button i would like to have is "equip torch". sometimes i get hit by charlie while i am searching for the torch i had in my inventory just to find out it isnt there anymoe and I have to make another one. Its stupid and my fault but an emergency button would save me :) It woul be perfect if you could open a menu which shows the tool you currently have and you can coose one. In some situations I dont see the 99% axe that is liing (lying!) in my inventory and i make another one and wonder why my inventory is full again :(

Archived