Question on Rabbits: Starvation in Traps?

If you capture a rabbit and put him in a chest, he eventually starves.  He eventually starves in your inventory, as well.  

Questions:

• Is it still a decent way of having a food reserve to store rabbits?  Is rabbit reproduction enough to counter your hunger and sanity loss (if you use a drying rack to dry the morsels)?
  • Can you keep rabbits indefinitely if you never take them from the traps?  So, if I have a field full of traps, could I theoretically just leave them out there and only remove them when I'm hungry?

No, they'll starve in the trap as well.  If that happens they drop a fresh morsel, which will proceed to rot on the ground.   Rabbits are still a good food source if you have plenty around, and you make sure to crockpot the morsel with other stuff (especially monster meat and mushrooms) for meatballs.

Can you keep rabbits indefinitely if you never take them from the traps?  So, if I have a field full of traps, could I theoretically just leave them out there and only remove them when I'm hungry?

No, they'll starve in the trap as well. If that happens they drop a fresh morsel, which will proceed to rot on the ground. Rabbits are still a good food source if you have plenty around, and you make sure to crockpot the morsel with other stuff (especially monster meat and mushrooms) for meatballs.

If the rabbit starves to death in the trap, will they always drop a "fresh" morsel? No matter how long you leave them in the trap?

If so, then leaving loads of traps around rabbit holes may still be viable. Though probably unnecessary for winter survival once you have built an ice box.

Anyone have any idea, given the current state of starving rabbits -> rotting meat on drying racks -> slow rot in an ice box, what the optimum level of traps / drying racks / crock pots / etc would be to keep well fed without producing too much?

If the rabbit starves to death in the trap, will they always drop a "fresh" morsel? No matter how long you leave them in the trap?

If so, then leaving loads of traps around rabbit holes may still be viable. Though probably unnecessary for winter survival once you have built an ice box.

No. When the rabbit starves, a morsel will be spawned next to the trap and it will start to rot.

i found trapping rabbits will keep you busy and you wont be able to do anything else, the only reason i have to kill rabbits is for some fuel every once. alot of people use rabbits and farms and all that siilly stuff when they just start out but when you get the hang of the game a bit you wont need all that stuff anymore.

i only use a birdcage, i dont have farms jerky racks and bunny traps and both my fridges are full of meat and stuff. also since rog you need an iceflinger so i try to build only whats necessary and fit it all in one iceflinger

I keep forgetting about my rabbit traps because I've done the set 'em and forget 'em thing for so long.  The best system for me seems to check and reset them at a set time (usually in the evening), and only put them out when I actually need more small jerky/morsels (rather than keeping them out all the time).

I keep forgetting about my rabbit traps because I've done the set 'em and forget 'em thing for so long.  The best system for me seems to check and reset them at a set time (usually in the evening), and only put them out when I actually need more small jerky/morsels (rather than keeping them out all the time).

In this last play-through, I'm using them as mercy-killing, as I don't appear to be getting more naughty by trapping them and letting them starve.  If I trap, and then immediately kill a lot of them, I start hearing grumbling at night.  By Laying out a bunch of traps, one each day, over a field, I can have one or two rabbits die per day, hang their stale morsels on the drying racks, and the next day I'll have fully green dried bits.

This, coupled with using straw mats for my fire (or dung) means I haven't even seen a Treebeard for this play session, and I'm on day 35 so far.  A personal record for no big-baddies showing up.

The new mechanic still works, techincally you can keep meat around for a LONG, LONG TIME.

Trap a rabbit, put it in a chest.  When it starves let it sit in your ice box for a few days, then put it on a drying rack, then into your ice box. It will last a long time.  If it rots, then leave it until it's red and then convert it into a fresh egg.  Leave that in the ice box even longer.  Then if you make the egg into pirogi or ham and eggs you can store that in the ice box for a long time too.

I think it's technically possible to keep one piece of rabbit meat for an entire year!  

Then again, if you camp near a pig village and put spiders nearby (so they fight) you'll have enough meat forever with no rabbits.

Then again, if you camp near a pig village and put spiders nearby (so they fight) you'll have enough meat forever with no rabbits.

These days I make my base near frogs instead - you can pick up a frog leg in one click instead of having to kill a rabbit, and you don't have to place them so precisely.  There are so many frogs hopping around that it's easy to get lots of meat quickly, then put the traps away till you need more.  And I love the look of a frog village, so green and hoppy.  And they help with hound attacks, while rabbits are cowards.

As noted, until you check the trap/chest/pack (assuming it's a discarded one,) The rabbit is in a Schrodinger's cat state and won't "die." When you finally do if you didn't go to feed it from starving in time, it dies and drops the morsel which is considered fresh as if the rabbit was just killed (and follows spoilage time from there.) Technically, you can keep spider and frogs trapped indefinitely, since they immediately give components when trapped, so that has not changed. 

As noted, until you check the trap/chest/pack (assuming it's a discarded one,) The rabbit is in a Schrodinger's cat state and won't "die." When you finally do if you didn't go to feed it from starving in time, it dies and drops the morsel which is considered fresh as if the rabbit was just killed (and follows spoilage time from there.) Technically, you can keep spider and frogs trapped indefinitely, since they immediately give components when trapped, so that has not changed. 

The Schrodinger cat analogy implies that observing the rabbits in the trap or in a chest will have an impact on it's starvation or rotting time.

That does not appear to be the case at least today.  I've tested and it seems that the rabbit in the chest will die and deposit a fresh morsel in real time, and the observation of the player makes no difference. And so if you check the chest you will see a half-rotted piece of meat rather than a fresh one.  If you wait long enough you will just see rot.

Under a trap, the rabbit will start starving the second it's trapped and then drop a fresh morsel which will then rot in real time and then become rot under the trap when you finally "find it" later.  Same is true for Frogs legs and spiders who drop monster meat.  Leave them under the trap long enough and you will get rot regardless of how often you do or don't check.

The Schrodinger cat analogy implies that observing the rabbits in the trap or in a chest will have an impact on it's starvation or rotting time.

That does not appear to be the case at least today.  I've tested and it seems that the rabbit in the chest will die and deposit a fresh morsel in real time, and the observation of the player makes no difference. And so if you check the chest you will see a half-rotted piece of meat rather than a fresh one.  If you wait long enough you will just see rot.

Under a trap, the rabbit will start starving the second it's trapped and then drop a fresh morsel which will then rot in real time and then become rot under the trap when you finally "find it" later.  Same is true for Frogs legs and spiders who drop monster meat.  Leave them under the trap long enough and you will get rot regardless of how often you do or don't check.

Looks like I got an update and you are correct..Thanks for letting me know as well. 

These days I make my base near frogs instead - you can pick up a frog leg in one click instead of having to kill a rabbit, and you don't have to place them so precisely.  There are so many frogs hopping around that it's easy to get lots of meat quickly, then put the traps away till you need more.  And I love the look of a frog village, so green and hoppy.  And they help with hound attacks, while rabbits are cowards.

That's good and all, until Winter comes.

Good luck with all the ponds being frozen over -_-

(one of my original play throughs when learning the game was trying that strategy. Starved)

That's good and all, until Winter comes.

Good luck with all the ponds being frozen over -_-

(one of my original play throughs when learning the game was trying that strategy. Starved)

During Winter I'm usually off hunting walruses.  I find frogs more reliable than rabbits, because you can still get them in Spring whereas rabbit holes close up.

Archived