Permadeath in Don't Starve Together announced as OPTIONAL

A poll on Permadeath  

389 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST have Permadeath?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes/No as an Option in world customisation

That doesn't work: you see, if you rejoin other people will be in the world and all your stuff and machines etc will stay in the world. It just won't work. Best if someone dies without being revived by Touchstones or Meateffegies (if there will be none left) then they would not be able to join the world ever again. Cause otherways it's not permadeath!

And just because it's not minecraft: you know, some people actually do go into a 'creative mode'. I just gave an example, not that they should be called exactly like that...

Would you rather it be:

"Hey dude... I died."

"What?!? Again?"

"...Yeah."

"Well that's just great, now we have to join a new server,"

"Sorry, dude."

"If you were really sorry, you wouldn't have died for the fourth time."

"I said I'm sorry, what else do you want me to do?"

"Maybe you could, uh, I dunno... LEARN HOW TO PLAY!"

"You don't have to be so mean about it."

"Well, maybe I want to actually play Don't Starve, not just hold your hand through the entire game."

"Come on, man, it's not that big of a deal."

"You know what? I'm done. Go keep dying if you want, because I'm just done."

"Fine, be that way."

Would you rather it be:

"Hey dude... I died."

"What?!? Again?"

"...Yeah."

"Sorry, dude."

"Well, maybe I want to actually play Don't Starve, not just hold your hand through the entire game."

"Fine, be that way."

Yeas. Thought I would rather play with more experienced players and have set ourselves resurrection stuff if they run out.

Would you rather it be:

"Hey dude... I died."

"What?!? Again?"

"...Yeah."

"Sorry, dude."

"Fine, be that way."

hypothetical XirmiX has really pushy friends

We do know that much of this might come down to optional choices. For example, permadeath; one of the hotter topics. It's pretty safe to say that this will be a choice for the server operator here. How exactly it works is still unknown, but we do feel that in order to have the best experience for everybody, we need to provide this as an optional aspect of Don't Starve Together.

So permadeath is optional. Thoughts?

Ok now that we know Klei are considering Permadeath as an option, should there be any new ways of coming back to life, like the shadow/ghost or skull suggestions?

Personally if Permadeath is going to be option, we should keep things how they are, and use the resources we have already in place. There isn't any need to suggest new ways of reviving. You don't want to die and lose your save, then turn permadeath off, it's as simple as that. With an option, we can't complain to Klei about Don't Starve Together being too unforgiving. The only answer we'll get back is "Turn it off then".

I sort of want the game to be even harder if Permadeath is turned off. Anyone played Dark Souls?

Permedeath from the entire server would be a wonderful function for competition and contests, both public and private--however, the main drive behind establishing multiplayer is allowed friends to play with friends--freely, thus, permedeath wouldn't be user friendly.

An option for either in custom satisfies both arguing parties, yes?

Doesn't really matter since that seems to be the way it's going to be anyway

I suppose now that I look at the vote count; however, community decision doesn't always overrule developmental ones. Sometimes when a community demands too much deviation from the vision of the developer, it's highly guaranteed nothing great will happen.

I suppose now that I look at the vote count; however, community decision doesn't always overrule developmental ones. Sometimes when a community demands too much deviation from the vision of the developer, it's highly guaranteed nothing great will happen.

I was referring to the most recent JoeW post, not the poll. Forum polls mean practically nothing ;)

I was referring to the most recent JoeW post, not the poll. Forum polls mean practically nothing ;)

I disagree. Polls would mean "something" otherwise why have Klei allowed such a system to be used. Granted it absolutely does NOT represent the entire community, but it is an estimate (very rough), of what the community wants. Most decisions are swayed by us leaving comments and sharing our opinions and suggestions.

In this poll it was very close between those who voted for Permadeath as being in Don't Starve with no option and those who voted for Permadeath as being in Don't Starve with an option.

The only way I can make sense of what you're saying is that ultimately Klei decides what's best for the game. I guarantee if Klei believed their game would work better with Permadeath as an option from the get go, it wouldn't matter if 10,000 people voted for option 1 and 2. They would see what we have commented and possibly make changes to keep their game as player friendly as possible.

I personally encourage the use of polls and more so commenting.

Permedeath from the entire server would be a wonderful function for competition and contests, both public and private--however, the main drive behind establishing multiplayer is allowed friends to play with friends--freely, thus, permedeath wouldn't be user friendly.

An option for either in custom satisfies both arguing parties, yes?

Yes It does. With an option we can choose how we want to play Don't Starve. I suppose it will also make things less "daunting" on the influx of new players.

I like to see it as this: Don't Starve Together isn't Don't Starve.

I have to say Yes/No to permadeath. But I'm leaning towards no but definitely a type of resurrection method your allies have to use. Another option is for Don't Starve Together to introduce a ghost type scenario where you're transparent and your allies can't see you, but you can see them. It's a tough topic.

I have to say Yes/No to permadeath. But I'm leaning towards no but definitely a type of resurrection method your allies have to use. Another option is for Don't Starve Together to introduce a ghost type scenario where you're transparent and your allies can't see you, but you can see them. It's a tough topic.

Welcome to the forum mate!

I made this comment earlier, sharing my thoughts on new "death/revival ideas". Please take a moment to read it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Poll is set to Multiple Choice.

Ok this has got to be one of the most talked about things right now. I know many of you have shared your opinions and honestly they are all awesome, but let's see how many people are for Permadeath and how many people are against it for Don't Starve Together.

I'm going to keep things very simple, but feel free to say why you voted for or against it in the comments below.

Permadeath is what it is. You die in DST that's it, you don't come back to that world, the friends you are playing with can't call you back until they start a new server with a new world.

Edit: There should definitely be Permadeath in Don't Starve Together. But it shouldn't work the same way as Don't Starve. We still need to be fearful of dying and losing everything, but not losing everything that causes you to keep starting new games over and over just because the friend you want to play with keeps dying.

That's my opinion anyway. What's yours?

Yes but would touch stones and meat effigys be in DST?

Poll is set to Multiple Choice.

Ok this has got to be one of the most talked about things right now. I know many of you have shared your opinions and honestly they are all awesome, but let's see how many people are for Permadeath and how many people are against it for Don't Starve Together.

I'm going to keep things very simple, but feel free to say why you voted for or against it in the comments below.

Permadeath is what it is. You die in DST that's it, you don't come back to that world, the friends you are playing with can't call you back until they start a new server with a new world.

Edit: There should definitely be Permadeath in Don't Starve Together. But it shouldn't work the same way as Don't Starve. We still need to be fearful of dying and losing everything, but not losing everything that causes you to keep starting new games over and over just because the friend you want to play with keeps dying.

That's my opinion anyway. What's yours?

Yes but would touch stones and meat effigies be in DST?

Since I'm lazy and tired I just read first and last posts and I totaly agree with quoted post.

Why not make it like in original DS? Just die and revive by using eggify, amulet or touch stone. Let's say that those items will revive you only if you are their owner (except amulet, you just need to wear it). If you die completly (read: no revival items) you will lose everything you had, backpack, buildings and items in chests BUT you will become a ghost just like Sorion said and your corpse will remain until someone will decide to spare his/her reviving item. You will get back to living but you would have to start over.

However permadeath might be an option for server admin to create something like in Minecraft. You die and have no reviving items, you are banned from this server until it will create a new world.

What do you think? In my opinion this would greatly work out.

Okay thats good, but would other players be informed about the dead players revival?

Again I would suspect so. Having a log that can be accessed would be a neat idea, along with having a brief message pop up on screen when a player enters/leaves or dies/revives etc...

Ah, I see J20hawkz. I was actually thinking of a type of ghost realm that dead players would go to when they die. A type of mirror world opposite to the world the other characters are in, and what you do in that world has consequences in the mortal realm. There are new obstacles and monsters to encounter in this realm, with a possibility of returning to life with help from your team or a very permanent death if you end up dying in the ghost realm.

If you want a second chance at life you would need to direct your allies to create a gateway portal that would let you pass from one realm to the other. However, you also need to build a doorway on your side and you'll both need each other's help to get the materials.

It's a bit jumbled up in my head at the moment, just coming up with a thought after all. One other option is that you remain a ghost permanently in this realm when you die if you failed to respawn with a touchstone or other respawn method. As a ghost I suppose there would be some sort of way to help the other players out and you would need to survive in the ghost realm as well since Soul Feasters or some type of mob/boss would constantly be seeking you out. Some new recipes would be made that would allow you to send Ghostly Materials that you can get in the ghost realm to the mortal world for your friends to build new items. Second, by using some of these Ghost Materials your friends can build an item that would allow them to send you mortal items for new strange recipes. These items can help your allies out in the mortal realm by affecting perhaps their heat, the rain, and light. Think of yourself as their guardian angel, as long a they help keep you existing by killing mobs. This is the part where I believe a resurrection could take place on a full moon with enough cooperation.

You no longer have Hunger, Health, or Sanity. But instead you have something similar to Woodie's Werebeaver Log Meter. You can regain more of this to stay alive (er... existing is a better word?) by collecting Life Essence dropped in the Ghost Realm whenever a mob is killed in the mortal realm. It of course degrades rather slowly, I think it's fair to say it would take 2 full days for it to run out completely, and there might be some way to be able to get some on your own.

I'm actually leaning towards the 2nd option because it very ironically gives players their "permadeath" while allowing them to experience a new side to the game.

I think that there should be "permadeath".. i mean, you die.. but you're a ghost, you don't can't attack, you can't see on the night, you can't craft, etc. But your team mates can revive you with alchemy.. i mean, create some unexpected device, ghost goes in, human goes back, the artifact is destroyed.

The artifact should requiere good amounts of meat :)

Archived