Permadeath in Don't Starve Together announced as OPTIONAL

A poll on Permadeath  

389 members have voted

1. 1. Should DST have Permadeath?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes/No as an Option in world customisation

Hold your camels guys, lets take a moment, and think. I've read every single comment so far to page three and here's my responses to the majority of the proposals. No one wants to waste an extended amount of time watching their friend play Don't Starve after they've died; It's simply a retarded idea. I like the idea of a certain item to craft or find to revive your friend(s). But if one person dies or a set amount, deleting the world and restarting is a waste of time. Especially for all the new rookies finally buying the game, because DST came out. I'm sure Klei is figuring out a way to make DST a enjoyable and fun experience. Games are all about having fun, not stressing over your friends death and restarting completely. Or waiting hours until your living friend(s) come across a way to revive you. I also think some of you guys are idiots for proposing such idiotic ideas and sticking with them as if it's the only way to make Don't Starve; Don't Starve. New items will most likely introduced for the purpose of multiplier. I doubt PvP coming to existence because the sheer unbalance it will present. But perhaps they may balance it.

I state my case.

Hold your camels guys, lets take a moment, and think. I've read every single comment so far to page three and here's my responses to the majority of the proposals. No one wants to waste an extended amount of time watching their friend play Don't Starve after they've died; It's simply a retarded idea. I like the idea of a certain item to craft or find to revive your friend(s). But if one person dies or a set amount, deleting the world and restarting is a waste of time. Especially for all the new rookies finally buying the game, because DST came out. I'm sure Klei is figuring out a way to make DST a enjoyable and fun experience. Games are all about having fun, not stressing over your friends death and restarting completely. Or waiting hours until your living friend(s) come across a way to revive you. I also think some of you guys are idiots for proposing such idiotic ideas and sticking with them as if it's the only way to make Don't Starve; Don't Starve. New items will most likely introduced for the purpose of multiplier. I doubt PvP coming to existence because the sheer unbalance it will present. But perhaps they may balance it.

I state my case.

Welcome to the forum mate. Thanks for sharing your opinion but please don't call people idiots for sharing theirs.

It's good to see someone else interested in new revival items for DST, hopefully permadeath is implemented but we are given the chance to revive if we die early on before we find a touch stone. Like I said a new revival item in our inventory from the start, such as Spark of Life or Amulet of Rebirth would solve that.

To add to touch stones, it has four pig heads right. Maybe that wasn't a coincidence and Klei have been planning DST since day 1! Maybe each head is a revive for each player. When a player dies and is revived by a touch stone that has been activated (doesn't matter who) one pig head is replaced by the head of the player who died.

You can't use the same touch stone more than once to revive.

There shouldn't be any need for a free revival item if you take the effort to help your friends survive and work together. A freebie revival item can just cause people to be wreckless, especially if it'll rot after a certain time. Even if it changes into a reward if you survive the whole time, people will still go by the thought of "I'll make use of my free life while I can to do stuff that's usually too dangerous!"

You haven't lost much if you have to restart a game which has only lasted 10 days or so. As I explained on page 7, there won't be as many early deaths as there are for singleplayer games because new players will have help from experienced players. Even then, if you're playing with new players, deaths should be expected. Restarting due to others dying should be expected. Just like in singleplayer, each death will teach the victim better survival in future games.

If you think it'll be incredibly tedious to restart over and over due to other peoples' actions and no fault of your own, work extra hard to help them survive. Giving players free revival items at the start is too much hand-holding as the early game should still be as harsh as it is in singleplayer.

@Lar Ways I was waiting for someone to give a good reason against a free revival item and you just gave it. After reading what you said it makes perfect sense. Besides when playing with family I'll keep my nerf gun by my side, you'll he surprised how effective it is at relieving frustration when you shoot someone in the FACE!

I think that add some items (that you can find or craft) for ressurect your fallen teammate would be great, but my idea was to allow the dead player to play as ghost until they can ressurect (like a multiplier mod made a few month ago). They would be only able to stay near the other players and could help them in fight.

Of course you should be able to disabled this in world/server option if you wanna do a pvp game for example.

That solves permadeath. Done.

This is the second thread you've done this in now, you haven't 'solved it', you've made a suggestion, others may not like it, Klei may not use it. All you're doing is sounding obnoxious.

Also, about the 'solution', if everyone splits up straight away, and explores, it's likely everyone will have 2-3 Touchstones by Day 3-5. Doesn't that just make everything ridiculously easy?

A perma death game called "Magicite" has a very unforgiving SP. In the MP however, you can accidentally kill people and revive anyone by pressing "W" over their head. 

I can't find anyone expressing their feelings for this however. No one is mad about the perma death being gone, but no one knows any different since MP has co-existed with SP since creation. 

I don't know what to think about this, I just felt like sharing it with you all to hear your thoughts.

A perma death game called "Magicite" has a very unforgiving SP. In the MP however, you can accidentally kill people and revive anyone by pressing "W" over their head. 

I can't find anyone expressing their feelings for this however. No one is mad about the perma death being gone, but no one knows any different since MP has co-existed with SP since creation. 

I don't know what to think about this, I just felt like sharing it with you all to hear your thoughts.

I just got the game, and I look forward to playing it. I can't compare them on those two characteristics alone because that'd be silly, so I'll wait.

I'd say yes to Permadeath cause well I prefer it. Sure, a ressuraction idea? Im fine with that. But make it too easy or not hard enough and I think it kills the concept of the game. However, Im open to opinion and

compromise. I'd say use a ghostly creature version of yourself upon death. You can pick up your items but 

mobs would still be hostile towards you. Let's say your lifebar was to be healed by either

A) Nightmare Fuel

OR

B) Evil Flowers

OR

C) Both

And let's say you had to defend yourself against....Ch...Charlie himself! Look I don't mind the idea of having the pig heads at a Touchstone the lives or 4 players (as mentioned by someone else

on Page 12), but I'd rather go for a item that can only be found AND used ONCE! ONE TIME and that's it,reviving a player of your choice. I agree with the fact that it might kill the concept of the game BUT I don't

mind other people's opinions. 

Bottom Line: I'd go for Permadeath, though I don't think having the feature to toggle it off is such a bad idea (my opinion though).

This is the second thread you've done this in now, you haven't 'solved it', you've made a suggestion, others may not like it, Klei may not use it. All you're doing is sounding obnoxious.

Also, about the 'solution', if everyone splits up straight away, and explores, it's likely everyone will have 2-3 Touchstones by Day 3-5. Doesn't that just make everything ridiculously easy?

I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, I'm deliberately being direct to get a response. All that is happening right now is someone posts a solution and then someone posts a different solution with no regards to the last solution that was posted. This doesn't encourage discussions so how are any of us supposed to know if our ideas are good or not? You can tell my way of getting someones attention is working, because you responded :)

So now I can argue why I believe what I said is potentially a solution to permadeath in Don't Starve Together. If you think otherwise please argue your side. We're all friends here, so no need to get aggressive or defensive. Let's begin!

Having ONE touchstone revive each player once (upto a max of 4 players) is definitely a solution and personally solves this permadeath issue, at least for me anyway. I don't mean my solution is the solution to all solutions, it is definitely a solution and can be used to solve this issue unless someone says otherwise.

Think about it, you have one touchstone on the map, if Player A activates it and Player B dies soon after and uses the same touch stone that Player A activated, thereby destroying it, Player A won't be too pleased. He/She found it so "OBVIOUSLY" they should own all rights over "THEIR" touch stone. If we give a touch stone the ability to revive each team member once that solves everything. It's the same as in Don't Starve vanilla, you get revived once by a touch stone, so apply the same concept to Don't Starve Together × number of players.

Your concern of making it too easy could also be solved by limiting the world to two touchstones in Don't Starve Together. One can be found almost guaranteed near to where you originally spawned and the other in some random far off corner of the map. This way the concern for dying early and having to start over is nullified. But again in Don't Starve how many touch stones are spawned on the map by default? They revive us once each. So what's the problem if touch stones revive us once each in Don't Starve Together?

Obviously if you have a better solution please share.

Touch stones should have the ability to revive a player once each before being destroyed in Don't Starve Together. That solves permadeath. Done.

That'd be confunsing. Just imagine that someone has already trigged a touch stone and someone else revives on it, since the touch stone won't break the person who died can easily forget about it as it'll still  be on the map, still be a little less scared about death, die and just think 'Oh so I didn't have an extra life?'.

That'd be confunsing. Just imagine that someone has already trigged a touch stone and someone else revives on it, since the touch stone won't break the person who died can easily forget about it as it'll still be on the map, still be a little less scared about death, die and just think 'Oh so I didn't have an extra life?'.

I thought about that too. There are two solutions to that:

1. The player who used the touch stone to revive sees the touch stone as broken and gets the resources from it. On our screen we see it has a normal/fixed/unused touch stone. Or no one gets the resources from the touch stone until the last part member has been revived.

2. If a player dies one of the four pigs head is replaced by the players head who died and used the touch stone to revive.

If you smashed the pig head for pig skin and twigs, in its place a new stick and player head is formed, this can't be smashed and is automatically destroyed when all four party members have been revived from the same touch stone.

If the pig heads weren't smashed, in its place a player head is formed and any resources we would have got from the pig head is left on the floor. So instead of destroying a touch stone like I mentioned in solution 1, and getting stone, nightmare fuel and marble, the player who died automatically gets pig skin and twigs. Only until the last player has been revived do we get the normal loot from the touch stone.

Edit:

3. On the map for the player who already was revived by a touch stone, the touch stone on their map doesn't appear. They can see if they walk up to it, but it isn't visible on the map.

Honestly, it should just be a choice with no questions asked in my opinion.

Some players enjoy being able to respawn infinitely or a certain number or times, other players enjoy permadeath, it's about how the individual wants to experience the game, a large part of gamers dislike losing all of their progress from a single mistake, but some enjoy the challange of permadeath, it varies from person to person, therefore it should undoubtedly be an option for the player to choose one or the other at will when creating the server/world.

Honestly, it should just be a choice with no questions asked in my opinion.

Some players enjoy being able to respawn infinitely or a certain number or times, other players enjoy permadeath, it's about how the individual wants to experience the game, a large part of gamers dislike losing all of their progress from a single mistake, but some enjoy the challange of permadeath, it varies from person to person, therefore it should undoubtedly be an option for the player to choose one or the other at will when creating the server/world.

The same was said numerous times in regards to single player, and the devs disagreed.

I just had the BEST idea ever! Lets have a Creative mode and Survival mode!

In Survival mode you are not allowed to have your console enabled and have perma-death

In Creative mode you are allowed to have the console and you would not have perma-death

The world option would be Creative mode Yes or No and as automatic, it would be set as No.

I'm fine with it being a togglable option just so long as it doesn't persist into any sort of adventure mode, which it shouldn't anyway. Having an expensive way to revive your comrad would be neat in my opinion.

From the Official Don't Starve Wiki:

"If the player dies in Adventure Mode, they will wake up in Sandbox mode in the same state as they left it; the player can then immediately try again if they wish. Visiting Adventure Mode always starts the player at the very first chapter and a newly generated map, irrespective of previous attempts."

So why shouldn't permadeath work in Don't Starve Together Adventure Mode? If one of us dies you just end up in sandbox and obviously it becomes more of a challenge for your friends. I would actually prefer it this way. Makes for a more tense and challenging experience. The reward (if there is any) goes to all those who got to the end. Best part of it is if someone did die, it adds replayability, as your friends will have to go again to make sure you complete it and reap the rewards.

Sort of like a last man alive adventure mode.

I just had the BEST idea ever! Lets have a Creative mode and Survival mode!

In Survival mode you are not allowed to have your console enabled and have perma-death

In Creative mode you are allowed to have the console and you would not have perma-death

The world option would be Creative mode Yes or No and as automatic, it would be set as No.

...This is not Minecraft.

Anyway, I don't even see why this is an option. Obviously there will be Permadeath. You'll rejoin, but you'll lose all of your stuff, and any stat changes, or anything like that will be reset.

A way to bring your friends back is a good idea so that you can play with a not skilled player that keeps dying and plus you should be abe to build something that allows you to bring an ally back like an item that you give to their corpse and bring them back

Anyway, I don't even see why this is an option. Obviously there will be Permadeath. You'll rejoin, but you'll lose all of your stuff, and any stat changes, or anything like that will be reset.

whatever they do, i just hope it's not how early caves were - you respawn and all your items are rotted. I hope they're creative with it.

Which death experience do you prefer:

Respawn

"Damnit! Dude, I died, can you get my stuff?"

"Sure, where did you die?"

"Nevermind, just respawned, I'll get it myself."

Permadeath

"Dude."
"What."
"I died."

"What the F$%#, man!?"

"I'm sorry, I thought I could d-"

"Are you expecting me to get your stuff?"
"Calm down, it's just at the forest."

"You should have listened to me."
"I know, I know, jeez.."

That doesn't work: you see, if you rejoin other people will be in the world and all your stuff and machines etc will stay in the world. It just won't work. Best if someone dies without being revived by Touchstones or Meateffegies (if there will be none left) then they would not be able to join the world ever again. Cause otherways it's not permadeath!

And just because it's not minecraft: you know, some people actually do go into a 'creative mode'. I just gave an example, not that they should be called exactly like that...

Of coarse it should, and having an option to have it turned off or on is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Permadeath IS don't starve. Giving people an option to have it turned off may sound desirable at first, but I know for a fact if I've had an option to just respawn every time I died I would not be still playing this game to this day. The game is just so much more rewarding and intense when you know all your effort is at constant risk of being lost, players would be unwittingly limiting their Don't Starve experience with such a feature...

Friendly reminder for those of you like this that its almost trivial to just copy a save, and even easier to just close out and reload if you've found a touch stone already and died. Non Permadeath has always been a thing for don't starve, or any perma death game that has a save system. I love perma death personally, the existance of players changes that for me somewhat. I view perma death to be more perma lose, and when playing with more than one character, it takes a TPK to "perma die" 

Dont starve together could go either way honestly. though I think personally that an easy way to quell this problem would be to have a time limit during which you can save your parter by healing them once they are down. a kind of "dying state" if you will. Enemies might stay agro or they might go away, not sure what would be better. either way once you have a clear path you can rush on over with some first aid and revive your ally. obviously the dying state would have a time limit of some kind, say a minute or there abouts.  then death is still scary, but its a little bit easier to deal with if you're brave enough to spear those spider warriors away from your dying friend. it also heavily encourages the existing ally to risk it all on saving their friend, and if _they_ die, well... tough luck

Honestly I think Klei is tackling this issue through design meetings, playtesting, and other such things, because don't starve together involves more than one person, its not straight forward to just reset because what about all the buildings? should they be able to come in as a new player? if so its not really perma death is it? can you simply restart if only one person dies? if you lose through that way though, whats to prevent griefers  from simply rushing to their deaths to force you to lose? Klei isn't going to release dont starve together until they hammer out how they want to handle this stuff. it's an obvious forked road that any company staffed by two monkeys would realize they have to cross at some point to actually begin to design the rest of the experience. 

Archived