I've presented an idea some time ago during the development of RoG. Since we will have multiplayer there seems to be more sense behind this idea if it was to be implemented in Don't Starve Together.

[Link to the original post]

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/34990-new-attack-mechanic-suggestion-death-grip/

Introduction:

With the introduction of the (seasonal) Giants and a small rework to the former existing one (Deerclops), the devs lowered the significance of having allies. With devastating area of effect attacks these bosses can demovlish large armies of SpiderPigmen or even Beefalo. Having this in mind I came up with an idea of 'counet-balancing' this by introducing a new type of a monster attack (to avoid any ambiguity I will reffer to it as the Death Grip) that would again make having allies (even a single Catcoon) feel like having somewhat of a 'safty-belt' while treading on the island.

This concept is inspired by Left4Dead's (grapple ability of the ChargerHunterSmoker or Jockey). Basicly we would have monsters that attack you and make you paralized while they inflict health or sanity (or both or maybe just paralize you for some time as a complementary effect of some bosses or monster packs) loss until you're dead. Sounds Tragic? That's the point. The only way of getting out of such situation will be:

• avoiding such deadly creatures;
  • having at least 1 ally that will be able to land 1 successful hit on the attacker thus releasing you from the Death Grip;

People complain about the ease of dealing with some 'harder' enemies in Don't Starve. The root of the problem lyies in the fact that combat system that we have that won't change much. There is only a small learning curve when it comes to perfecting your fighting skills. Having 2-piece armour, a Spear and basic kiting knowledge allows you to face the deadliest enemies. That would change with the introduction of the Death Grip while allowing Don't Starve to have its focus more on decision making than having manual skills by the player. I think it might also amplify the 'horror' aspect of the game. Imagine traveling through the woods with the tourch during the night knowing that there might be something lurking in the dark that's a serious threat. Wouldn't that revive the excitment players had while spending their first days in Don't Starve?

DETAILS:

Monsters having a Death Grip should be manageable but deadly. They ought to be slow or have a strongly readable attack that can be dodged (by moving away or in a specific direction). The stationary types should have a small animation that would indicate their presence (just like the Tentacles have).

Example Monsters:

Anakondas/Pythons - lurking in the murky swamp waters or hanging from the trees. They would occasionally move but mainly occupy a specific spot. Getting too close will result in being strangled and slowly crushed under the snake's coils.

Alternatively the swamp might have Ooze creatures or Moss Monsters that would do the same (cover and try to suffocate their target while destroying the armour that their're currently wearing).

I think that Leeches would also fit into the concept.

The Evergreens might get infested by Giant Ticks (during Spring?) that would jump on you while you're chopping the tree down and start sucking your blood out.

Some nightmare creatures could attach themselves to your head and drain your sanity.

As mentioned - some of the weaker Giants could get a buff by having a new (occasionally performed) Death Grip attack- swallowing the player resulting in digestion or puking him/her out while interrupted with an attack.

If you've got an idea for a monster with such a meachanic then please leave a comment. Thanks for reading!

Obviously in most cases the Death Grip will be interrupted with the help of other players. I think it would be a nice addition and a counter factor to the difficulty problem in Don't Starve Together. Many people raised concerns about the multiplayer version of the game about how easy it could become. A teamplay component like this might cater to the need of having a challange without inflating every creature in the game with tons of hp.

As always feel free to comment and criticise. Again - thanks for reading!

What if all party members are in the Death grip?

What if one party member is in the Death grip and a friend can't get to them in time?

Also nice suggestion about a new "cold blooded" type monster. Anakondas/Pythons

I particularly like the name "Pythonda"

What if all party members are in the Death grip?

What if one party member is in the Death grip and a friend can't get to them in time?

I guess then... They will die *evil laughter*

I particularly like the name "Pythonda"

Well I wasn't thinking about merging those two together. It was more of a 'choose one' thing but it kind of makes sense since most of the animals in DS are hybrids.

I guess then... They will die *evil laughter*

Well I wasn't thinking about merging those two together. It was more of a 'choose one' thing but it kind of makes sense since most of the animals in DS are hybrids.

But then this Death grip is way too OP. As a player we should have the choice to break free. Maybe button mash Spacebar or something.

But then this Death grip is way too OP. As a player we should have the choice to break free. Maybe button mash Spacebar or something.

Nah. Wrong game gerne. I covered up the explanation why they would not be OP:

'Monsters having a Death Grip should be manageable but deadly. They ought to be slow or have a strongly readable attack that can be dodged (by moving away or in a specific direction). The stationary types should have a small animation that would indicate their presence (just like the Tentacles have).'

It all depends how they will end up implemented.

Players should feel scared. That's the point.

Nah. Wrong game gerne. I covered up the explanation why they would not be OP:

'Monsters having a Death Grip should be manageable but deadly. They ought to be slow or have a strongly readable attack that can be dodged (by moving away or in a specific direction). The stationary types should have a small animation that would indicate their presence (just like the Tentacles have).'

It all depends how they will end up implemented.

Players should feel scared. That's the point.

That's not what I mean. There is no way to get out of the Death Grip, as you have it suggested as of now, if everyone is in the grip or you are alone/too far from a friend for them to save you. It doesn't matter how slow or predictable the Death grip will be, I'm saying once it has you.

Also if it is that slow and predictable then what's the point, it's only going to leave the monster performing it open to a flurry of attacks. I'll just make 100s of Blow darts and snipe monsters that I know perform this move. This makes things either extremely op or makes fighting said monsters a piece of Dragon Pie.

How about, instead of rendering the player incapable of doing anything, it merely makes the player unable to move? That way, they can still potentially free him/herself by killing said monster.

Technically in that situation you'll still be mashing attack (Spacebar). Or do you have something else in mind?

I've presented an idea some time ago during the development of RoG. Since we will have multiplayer there seems to be more sense behind this idea if it was to be implemented in Don't Starve Together.

[Link to the original post]

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/34990-new-attack-mechanic-suggestion-death-grip/

Introduction:

With the introduction of the (seasonal) Giants and a small rework to the former existing one (Deerclops), the devs lowered the significance of having allies. With devastating area of effect attacks these bosses can demovlish large armies of SpiderPigmen or even Beefalo. Having this in mind I came up with an idea of 'counet-balancing' this by introducing a new type of a monster attack (to avoid any ambiguity I will reffer to it as the Death Grip) that would again make having allies (even a single Catcoon) feel like having somewhat of a 'safty-belt' while treading on the island.

This concept is inspired by Left4Dead's (grapple ability of the ChargerHunterSmoker or Jockey). Basicly we would have monsters that attack you and make you paralized while they inflict health or sanity (or both or maybe just paralize you for some time as a complementary effect of some bosses or monster packs) loss until you're dead. Sounds Tragic? That's the point. The only way of getting out of such situation will be:

• avoiding such deadly creatures;
  • having at least 1 ally that will be able to land 1 successful hit on the attacker thus releasing you from the Death Grip;

People complain about the ease of dealing with some 'harder' enemies in Don't Starve. The root of the problem lyies in the fact that combat system that we have that won't change much. There is only a small learning curve when it comes to perfecting your fighting skills. Having 2-piece armour, a Spear and basic kiting knowledge allows you to face the deadliest enemies. That would change with the introduction of the Death Grip while allowing Don't Starve to have its focus more on decision making than having manual skills by the player. I think it might also amplify the 'horror' aspect of the game. Imagine traveling through the woods with the tourch during the night knowing that there might be something lurking in the dark that's a serious threat. Wouldn't that revive the excitment players had while spending their first days in Don't Starve?

DETAILS:

Monsters having a Death Grip should be manageable but deadly. They ought to be slow or have a strongly readable attack that can be dodged (by moving away or in a specific direction). The stationary types should have a small animation that would indicate their presence (just like the Tentacles have).

Example Monsters:

Anakondas/Pythons - lurking in the murky swamp waters or hanging from the trees. They would occasionally move but mainly occupy a specific spot. Getting too close will result in being strangled and slowly crushed under the snake's coils.

Alternatively the swamp might have Ooze creatures or Moss Monsters that would do the same (cover and try to suffocate their target while destroying the armour that their're currently wearing).

I think that Leeches would also fit into the concept.

The Evergreens might get infested by Giant Ticks (during Spring?) that would jump on you while you're chopping the tree down and start sucking your blood out.

Some nightmare creatures could attach themselves to your head and drain your sanity.

As mentioned - some of the weaker Giants could get a buff by having a new (occasionally performed) Death Grip attack- swallowing the player resulting in digestion or puking him/her out while interrupted with an attack.

If you've got an idea for a monster with such a meachanic then please leave a comment. Thanks for reading!

Obviously in most cases the Death Grip will be interrupted with the help of other players. I think it would be a nice addition and a counter factor to the difficulty problem in Don't Starve Together. Many people raised concerns about the multiplayer version of the game about how easy it could become. A teamplay component like this might cater to the need of having a challange without inflating every creature in the game with tons of hp.

As always feel free to comment and criticise. Again - thanks for reading!

How about, instead of rendering the player incapable of doing anything, it merely makes the player unable to move? That way, they can still potentially free him/herself by killing said monster.

What Silent said. I really really dislike this idea. People need to stop comparing Don't Starve to Left4Dead, they're really dissimilar. Left4Dead gives you guns, and most zombies die in a few hits that can come from a mile away if someone has a sniper/is a good shot with a rifle/pistols. Don't Starve you're mostly fighting with spears and swords, not very nice for fighting something that can basically instagib you if you're alone. And remember that these things need to be balanced for single player as well. What're you going to do when you're all alone and can't find any pigmen to befriend? You're basically screwed versus these monsters. And on PvP servers where noone is getting along then noone will be very inclined to help you if you're caught.

It'd be a lot better if instead of just holding you until you die you could either break free or it just freezes you in place for a moment. Oh hey look! We already have a freezing mechanic for mobs during fights, and if you continue to hit them they will be unfrozen. Just add in mobs that freeze targets occasionally and it's about the same thing, without being overpowered to solo players.

Another thing this made me think of is the death enemy from Gauntlet. Essentially it's an 'unkillable' ghost that slowly stands around until you get too close, at which point it'll start walking towards you. Let it get to close and it'll constantly drain your health until you die. The only way to kill death is by either letting it leach a hundred life points from you, or use a magic potion item that acts as holy water to disperse the demon, both of which cause it to dissapear. In Don't Starve, a similar creature could be implimented that slowly leeches life from a single target until said target dies, and just have the creature have stun resistance, like hounds. It could also slow player's movement speed, which would force them to have to fight or die trying. (unless they have a walking cane/road nearby) That'd simulate the death touch you had while still making it fair for the player to be able to have a chance to fight back.

(Also something passive like the spitter from L4D would actually work, where a monster spits a patch of acid at your feet and runs away...)

Nice idea but what if it's winter and you are chopping trees and your mate is on the other side of the map collecting ice or stone for summer ?

I've played L4D (great game) but i think death grip is something for fast pace games... not for slow tactical ones like Don't starve.

They should make the bosses harder to kill, maybe introduce some kind of tactics and boss mechanics like in world of warcraft ... so you need the help of whole party to bring them down. The loot also should be adjusted accordingly.

How about make the Moose more powerful?

He could step on players and hold them down with his large webbed feet, and another player has to attack the feet to free him.

It would also be a nice opportunity to add a hilarious "OH GOD SOMETHING IS ON ME" animation for the characters. ie: Wilson clawing at the dirt and squirming helplessly, as if a boulder landed on his lower half.

I wouldn't call that a choice. If you have a choice to break free with a spacebar tap or die then that's not really a choice. You will always try to tap to save your life. The question is - Would the manual break be free or would it be at a cost of health (for example) ? The notion of pressing spacebar repeatedly seems to be like taken out of some beat em up game.

I can see why people would want that option. It would create a kind of safty net. Personally I would vote for having no additional options for survival in that kind of situation just for the sake of having a bit of a feel of a 'survival horror' game.

Is having a Catcoon, Pigmen, Bunnyman, or any kind of ally/pet that hard? Having a backup would totally eliminate the described threat. Does this idea really need to get a nerf?

I am totally for having 'support' enemies in the Don't Starve rooster but I am also for having some creepy ones that can incapacitate your character.

Isn't it an overpowered Deerclops freeze attack?

If an attack is perfromed by a fairly weak enemy and is telegraphed in a way that makes it avoidable by an average player 90% of the time - can it be called overpowered? I guess it depends the 'standards of power' that one might have.

Don't Starve you're mostly fighting with spears and swords, not very nice for fighting something that can basically instagib you if you're alone.

I think that most of the players on the forum would quickly learn how not to make any fatal mistakes in presence of creatures with a 'Death Grip'. Why would you fight a monster that can 'instagib' you? There's always an option to walk/run away. I think I made things clear that these creatures won't be as relentless or as fast as for example Hounds. I think that the image of the threat got blown out of proportion.

And on PvP servers where noone is getting along then noone will be very inclined to help you if you're caught.

Well there is no sportsmanship on those kind of servers. It's basicly free for all so I don't think that you can blame someone for not helping you if he wasn't on your side from the start. On the other hand - I think that some malicious players would enjoy luring so called 'newbies' into biomes with these creatures just to see them die (which is the point on a PvP server, right?)

Just add in mobs that freeze targets occasionally and it's about the same thing, without being overpowered to solo players.

Can you try to describe to me the circumstances in which you wouldn't consider it to be 'overpowered'? Do you take into account what kind of monster uses this ability and how fast and endurate it is?

Another thing this made me think of is the death enemy from Gauntlet. Essentially it's an 'unkillable' ghost that slowly stands around until you get too close, at which point it'll start walking towards you. Let it get to close and it'll constantly drain your health until you die. The only way to kill death is by either letting it leach a hundred life points from you, or use a magic potion item that acts as holy water to disperse the demon, both of which cause it to dissapear. In Don't Starve, a similar creature could be implimented that slowly leeches life from a single target until said target dies, and just have the creature have stun resistance, like hounds. It could also slow player's movement speed, which would force them to have to fight or die trying. (unless they have a walking cane/road nearby) That'd simulate the death touch you had while still making it fair for the player to be able to have a chance to fight back.

That's an interesting thought but your idea would have just the opposite effect - players armed with higher tier weapons would probably start a fight each time they had met that described creature. Behing my idea there were these points:

• lower the significance of the player's brute power;
  • create new some uses to Tallbirds, Catcoons, Pigmen ect;
  • add a new startegy of dealing with threats in the game;

Nice idea but what if it's winter and you are chopping trees and your mate is on the other side of the map collecting ice or stone for summer ?

I assume that you're talking about a situation in which you might encounter a creature with 'Death Grip'. If he's on the other side of the map then you must take that into account. You should do one of the following:

• take a npc ally with you;
  • reconsider exploring an area where there's no threat of being incapacitate;
  • explore nevertheless but run away if you actually meet a deadly creature on your path;
  • reevaluate your micro skills - if you feel like you can make it without a single slip then take a risk an try to use force;

How about make the Moose more powerful?

He could step on players and hold them down with his large webbed feet, and another player has to attack the feet to free him.

It would also be a nice opportunity to add a hilarious "OH GOD SOMETHING IS ON ME" animation for the characters. ie: Wilson clawing at the dirt and squirming helplessly, as if a boulder landed on his lower half.

I would love to see that ingame  :livid:

could be good, but I don't think we need more animals, but could be implemented on already existing ones(like the depts spider or the peaceful seasons giants)

it even adds to that feeling of loneliness that makes you want something near you

I wouldn't call that a choice. If you have a choice to break free with a spacebar tap or die then that's not really a choice. You will always try to tap to save your life. The question is - Would the manual break be free or would it be at a cost of health (for example) ? The notion of pressing spacebar repeatedly seems to be like taken out of some beat em up game.

I can see why people would want that option. It would create a kind of safty net. Personally I would vote for having no additional options for survival in that kind of situation just for the sake of having a bit of a feel of a 'survival horror' game.

Is having a Catcoon, Pigmen, Bunnyman, or any kind of ally/pet that hard? Having a backup would totally eliminate the described threat. Does this idea really need to get a nerf?

I am totally for having 'support' enemies in the Don't Starve rooster but I am also for having some creepy ones that can incapacitate your character.

If an attack is perfromed by a fairly weak enemy and is telegraphed in a way that makes it avoidable by an average player 90% of the time - can it be called overpowered? I guess it depends the 'standards of power' that one might have.

I think that most of the players on the forum would quickly learn how not to make any fatal mistakes in presence of creatures with a 'Death Grip'. Why would you fight a monster that can 'instagib' you? There's always an option to walk/run away. I think I made things clear that these creatures won't be as relentless or as fast as for example Hounds. I think that the image of the threat got blown out of proportion.

Well there is no sportsmanship on those kind of servers. It's basicly free for all so I don't think that you can blame someone for not helping you if he wasn't on your side from the start. On the other hand - I think that some malicious players would enjoy luring so called 'newbies' into biomes with these creatures just to see them die (which is the point on a PvP server, right?)

Can you try to describe to me the circumstances in which you wouldn't consider it to be 'overpowered'? Do you take into account what kind of monster uses this ability and how fast and endurate it is?

That's an interesting thought but your idea would have just the opposite effect - players armed with higher tier weapons would probably start a fight each time they had met that described creature. Behing my idea there were these points:

• lower the significance of the player's brute power;
  • create new some uses to Tallbirds, Catcoons, Pigmen ect;
  • add a new startegy of dealing with threats in the game;

I assume that you're talking about a situation in which you might encounter a creature with 'Death Grip'. If he's on the other side of the map then you must take that into account. You should do one of the following:

• take a npc ally with you;
  • reconsider exploring an area where there's no threat of being incapacitate;
  • explore nevertheless but run away if you actually meet a deadly creature on your path;
  • reevaluate your micro skills - if you feel like you can make it without a single slip then take a risk an try to use force;

I've been in the situation where I've had some slow-moving thing show up where I had little means to defend myself before, and it sucks. Torches don't give off a lot of light, if while you're exploring in the dark you happen to run into some slow-moving thing like a triert or a tentacle (which is so slow it doesn't move at all), then you're going to get hit. What happens when you're wandering around in the dark and run into a creature with death grip with noone to save you? You're screwed. Same would happen if you happen to set up a campfire near one and don't have a spear, it'd just slowly walk up to you and kill you.

Also how would you know there's a creature out there until you see it? The game is about exploration and survival, so you don't know what's out there when you're first going about the world. It could happen that one of these death grip creatures happens to spawn on one of the narrow bridges connecting islands and you need to get by to get to the teleportato or something. You'd be forced to fight it, and if you mess up you're instantly dead because it incapacitated you.

~~~~~

If you really want something that keeps the player held in place to where minions would be more useful, create man-eating plants. They'd sit there on the ground, somewhat stealthed like tentacles to where they blend in with the background since that's what these plants do. Once you step on one, it snaps shut and deals some damage to you over time. After it saps however much health out of you to fill it's hunger, it opens up and lets you go and slowly goes back into cloak mode. If you really hate it for catching you you can destroy it before it cloaks, otherwise you could leave it as a trap for someone if you're being chased in PvP. And if you have a follower they'd attack the creature while you're in it, which would cause it to open up and free you. And since these plants work with acid the damage could be directly dealt to you through your armour.

And speaking of acid, you could just add creature that deals damage like that. Have something that ignores armour in the game, like adding in some kind of 'frightened' creature. What this would do is it'd walk around like a bunny, but when a player gets close enough it'll rear up and display it's displeasure at your appearance. If you get closer, it'll shoot some kind of goo at you that slows you down and dissolves your armour but dealing little actual damage, at which point it'll either attack you using the normal system or attempt to flee (which would be kinda cheap tbh). Another creature could have some kind of toxic gas that it breathes out to damage players, and since it's a gas and not a physical attack it'd deal direct damage without harming armour. Both of these make it so you can't just wear some Thulecite gear and expect to survive, you'd actually be challenged to fight something that you can't really defend from, only offence or running away matters. While not giving your followers something to do, it does solve the problem of people becoming OP with armour.

I've been in the situation where I've had some slow-moving thing show up where I had little means to defend myself before, and it sucks. Torches don't give off a lot of light, if while you're exploring in the dark you happen to run into some slow-moving thing like a triert or a tentacle (which is so slow it doesn't move at all), then you're going to get hit. What happens when you're wandering around in the dark and run into a creature with death grip with noone to save you? You're screwed. Same would happen if you happen to set up a campfire near one and don't have a spear, it'd just slowly walk up to you and kill you.

It happened to me too. I took my lesson and stopped wondering in the swamp during night with no extra protection.

I can't agree more with what you said.

With 'Death Grasp' creatures in the game I would resign from such night time adventures. It would make the wilderness fill a lot more dangerous. We were advertised to get a uncompromising wilderness sirvival game. I think that this concept would fit into that.

Also how would you know there's a creature out there until you see it? The game is about exploration and survival, so you don't know what's out there when you're first going about the world. It could happen that one of these death grip creatures happens to spawn on one of the narrow bridges connecting islands and you need to get by to get to the teleportato or something. You'd be forced to fight it, and if you mess up you're instantly dead because it incapacitated you.

That's an unsupported assumption. You're assuming that the devs are unable to put special conditions restricting mobs from spawning wihin a certain range from the water parts of the map.

If someone messes up then he/she should get punished. Don't you agree?

If you really want something that keeps the player held in place to where minions would be more useful, create man-eating plants. They'd sit there on the ground, somewhat stealthed like tentacles to where they blend in with the background since that's what these plants do. Once you step on one, it snaps shut and deals some damage to you over time. After it saps however much health out of you to fill it's hunger, it opens up and lets you go and slowly goes back into cloak mode. If you really hate it for catching you you can destroy it before it cloaks, otherwise you could leave it as a trap for someone if you're being chased in PvP. And if you have a follower they'd attack the creature while you're in it, which would cause it to open up and free you. And since these plants work with acid the damage could be directly dealt to you through your armour.

You just described one of the proposed mechanics for a 'Death Grip' monster but with an added safety net. I already stated why I wouldn't want a 'milder' version of my concept. Your idea has got a flaw - mainly the more beefy characters such as Wolfgang or WX-78 will have a higher chance of getting away from that plant beacuse of their higher health pool. This would make fragile heroes more vulnerable and I honestly don't see why we should discriminate them like that.

Your proposition is logical and in the end I would probably agree on having solution when faced with having it the way you presented or having no 'Death Grip' at all. Honestly I don't think it would come into the game in a form of a maneathing plant as we already have the Lureplant.

And speaking of acid, you could just add creature that deals damage like that. Have something that ignores armour in the game, like adding in some kind of 'frightened' creature. What this would do is it'd walk around like a bunny, but when a player gets close enough it'll rear up and display it's displeasure at your appearance. If you get closer, it'll shoot some kind of goo at you that slows you down and dissolves your armour but dealing little actual damage, at which point it'll either attack you using the normal system or attempt to flee (which would be kinda cheap tbh). Another creature could have some kind of toxic gas that it breathes out to damage players, and since it's a gas and not a physical attack it'd deal direct damage without harming armour. Both of these make it so you can't just wear some Thulecite gear and expect to survive, you'd actually be challenged to fight something that you can't really defend from, only offence or running away matters. While not giving your followers something to do, it does solve the problem of people becoming OP with armour.

More variety in monster's mechanics is definitely a good thing. I like this idea - it's good but I don't consider it to be a substitute for my concept. They would both have a slightly different impact on gameplay if implemented. My idea emphasizes cooperation which would be a fitting theme for Don't Starve Together.

In the end the 'Death Grip' creature concept might be added only to the cooperative mode of the game (excluding the single player and PvP). 

Sorry - somehow I missed this post of yours.

That's not what I mean. There is no way to get out of the Death Grip, as you have it suggested as of now, if everyone is in the grip or you are alone/too far from a friend for them to save you. It doesn't matter how slow or predictable the Death grip will be, I'm saying once it has you.

I understand what you mean. Once you get caught you will die if someone (or something in case of npcs) doesn't help you. That's the idea.

Also if it is that slow and predictable then what's the point, it's only going to leave the monster performing it open to a flurry of attacks. I'll just make 100s of Blow darts and snipe monsters that I know perform this move. This makes things either extremely op or makes fighting said monsters a piece of Dragon Pie.

The point will be the same like in the case of for example Spiders. They are predictable as they try to inflict damage. They can kill (the margin of error is much, much bigger than in the case of DG) but most of the time players manage to exploit their weaknesses. It can be done without loosing a single HP. Still there are cases in which people die because of them.

Making 100 Blow Darts would be a 'bit' of an overreaction but noone would stop you from doing that. You can kill anything in the game with that ammount of ammo with ease.

People would die to 'Death Grip' beacuse:

• they were facing multiple enemies and they recklessly run into a monster that has it;
  • they haven't learnt how to deal with such enemies yet;
  • they acted too bold and didn't prepre (no allies to help);
  • they made a mistake by traveling during night with a insufficent light source and no backup;

Those are the reasons that come to my mind. In all other cases the player should be victorious.

I am not sure if you can say that something can be overpowered or easy. I belive the more fitting word summerizing it would be 'situational'. You die if you fail or live if you succeed that's the design.

I would love this idea if:

1. The Death Grip was something only The Spider Queen, Spider (family), Tentacle (family), Bearger and Werepigs could do.

2. We can break out of the Death Grip by ourselves. How? You can decide and I'll discuss :)

I would love this idea if:

1. The Death Grip was something only The Spider Queen, Spider (family), Tentacle (family), Bearger and Werepigs could do.

2. We can break out of the Death Grip by ourselves. How? You can decide and I'll discuss :-)

Can you explain why those monsters?

Personally I would rather have control of my life and not be so depended on others. If possible it could work that the creatures attack normally when your alone and have a death grip when your not...

Actually... now I see what you mean. If I'm wandering all alone in the dark I'd be worried and try to get to a friend quick... ok... so the idea is good but there would need to be some adjustments... I'll see if I can think of anything logical.

That's tough to explain by typing. It just feels right. You don't think so?

So it's based on 'feelings' rather than some kind of reasoning? Well I am surprised. Can you at least describe the visual aspects? I can guess that the Tentacles would be strangling our heroes and the Spider Queen will probably catch you and put you in a cocoon. What exactly would the Bearger, Werepigs and the lesser Spiders do? You already said it's a feel but I have an urge to ask why Bearger. I always thought that the Goose/Moose needs some love.

Archived