Different Approach for PvP Mode - War of the Worlds

Yes, i do.

But you would need a lot of time to have every material, thats not would be a big delay in the game?

I see better the use of mana, or something like that, maybe nightmare fuel, for example.

x2 NF: 5 frogs atacks your enemy.

x5 NF: 5 Pigs atacks your enemy.

x2 NF: 1 Werepig atacks your enemy.

I dont know what you will think.

I think that the recipes should be costly, impactful and not spammable. I dislike the idea of the 'Altar' becoming some kind of meatgrinder into which you pour 200 x pieces of somehting(?) to repeatedly summon 100 enemies.

The use of Nightmare Fuel is interesting. It's somewhat hard to get and fits into the 'making a pact with darkness' theme. Definetly something to consider.

I'm thinking of making Morsels have the "Deteriorating energy gain" effect too. 

Oh, another idea, maybe you start out with a "Deployable Totem", which is used like the Lureplant Bulb or Spider Eggs, just so you can choose a good area for a base without having to trek out every so often to find the Totem. To counter this, now certain monsters and events can damage the Totem, and you would have to spend non-energy resources to heal it. 

I'm thinking of making Morsels have the "Deteriorating energy gain" effect too. 

Oh, another idea, maybe you start out with a "Deployable Totem", which is used like the Lureplant Bulb or Spider Eggs, just so you can choose a good area for a base without having to trek out every so often to find the Totem. To counter this, now certain monsters and events can damage the Totem, and you would have to spend non-energy resources to heal it. 

Nice thinking outside the box! 

Alternativey it can be a fully destructable/constructable building under the 'Magic' tab that is accessible at the very beginning.

I have a new idea for each player's island.

Simply, each player at the start of the game gets "Points". These "Points" may be spent on lowering the amount of monsters or increasing the amount of resources. You can gain more points than you get at the start by increasing more monsters or lowering the amount of resources.

Now, the "Monster Drop" section is seperate from the monster section. Simply, in order to make it non-practical to add more monsters, now increasing the amount of monsters does not cause the amount of drops from them to increase. Simply, the drop % of mobs is automatically adjusted depending on the amount of monsters. So, say, turning Spiders to more causes their drop % to be halved, so it can't be an advantage to have more spiders. Now you need to increase the "(monster name) Drop" tab for this to work, which costs "Points".

Things that aren't monsters, like Pigs, don't have their own Drop section. 

The islands are still technically clones of each other, just with the amount of stuff changed.

Options for terrain and season changing would only be available if applied for all players.

Heard an idea pretty darn exact to this before...

Anyway... my immediate reaction:

Yes... but not in Don't Starve Together. The devs will already have enough one their plate getting DS to be multiplayer and the whole point to this multiplayer is to play together. This would take some time and probably have to be a different project.

Here's how I think the recipes should work:

Simply, when a player puts a certain "Applicable" resource on the Totem, it is converted into "Energy" after 10 seconds (So that players can grab it if they put it there on accident). This Energy is stored within the Totem, and is a universal currency to cast spells with. Some strong spells may require some items in the player's inventory, just to spice things up.

Here's the table of items:

-Morsel: 10 Energy

-Frog Legs: 20 Energy

-Meat: 50 Energy

-Small Jerky: 20 Energy

-Jerky: 60 Energy

-Monster Jerky: 5 Energy

-Grass: 1 Energy (-0.1 energy for each consecutive use in 2 days)

-Twigs: 0.5 Energy (Same as above)

-Wood: 0.25 Energy (Same as above)

-Living Logs: 75 Energy

-Koalefant Trunk: 90 Energy

-Honey: 20 Energy (-0.2 energy for each conseuctive use)

-Nitre: 30 Energy

-Stone: 20 Energy

-Gold: 30 Energy

-Flint: 25 Energy

-Red and Blue gems: 100 Energy

-Purple Gems: 250 Energy

-Green, Orange, Yellow gems: 1000 Energy

-Thulecite: 650 Energy

-Thulecite Fragment: 100 Energy

-Gears: 100 Energy

-Volt Goat Horn: 95 Energy

-Marble: 150 Energy

-Spider Eggs: 350 Energy

-Spiderhat: 600 Energy

-Nightmare Fuel: 250 Energy

-Butter: 225 Energy

-Any Giant Reward: 500 Energy

-Light Bulb: 40 Energy

-Any 4 Things: +200 energy, and unlock a new spell unique to the Thing used

-Pine Cone: 0.25 energy (Drains by -0.5 for each consecutive use)

-Birch Seed: 0.50 energy (Same limits as Pine Cone)

-Ice: 35 Energy

-Tallbird Egg: 35 Energy

-Hatching Tallbird Egg: A clone of your character pops out of the alter, hovering over the player if they move away from it. The clone scolds you for trying to kill the Smallbird, and slaps you across the face for 5 damage before leaving. The slap cannot bring the player's health below 1.

Kind of reminds me of the old Science point system in the early phase of Don't Starve, not a bad idea to use a similar point based concept for something like this.

There should also be a kind of spectator mode for people who want to watch these two players duke it out and have a side by side split screen of each player so you can sit back and watch them both suffer.

Perhaps the Things as well as the Wooden Thing should be absent since the players should be limited to the world they are stuck on. If one of the player's has their base burned down in a heat wave invoked by the other player, they shouldn't be able to just use the wooden things to go to another world or use them as fuel for the Sacrificial Altar. 

or for make the starting peaceful time and the not to overpowered(like woodie the treeguard) altar twice in a row, we can just make that the completed wooden thing is the altar and the recipes are costing rares drops...like the butter for instant burning(summer power) at somethings near to the player

Edit: and krampus backpack for instant 666 krampus spawn!!!

@J20hawkz

Why do I have a nagging feeling someone will troll with frog rain spam?

I think that's the reason for the associated recipe costs. It reminds me of this Warcraft 3 Map where two teams of three players would build Spawners in 1 of 3 parallel lanes which would periodically send troops towards your enemies and give you bounty for every building/creature-kill you nabbed. All 3 lanes lead into a single objective that either team had to destroy in order to win.

With the bounty, you'd accrue more Spawners with more powerful abilities. How did it balance out? The better the feature, the more bounty you needed to accrue. This forced players to plan how they spent their money and how they micromanaged their time/actions.

@J20hawkz

I think that's the reason for the associated recipe costs. It reminds me of this Warcraft 3 Map where two teams of three players would build Spawners in 1 of 3 parallel lanes which would periodically send troops towards your enemies and give you bounty for every building/creature-kill you nabbed. All 3 lanes lead into a single objective that either team had to destroy in order to win.

With the bounty, you'd accrue more Spawners with more powerful abilities. How did it balance out? The better the feature, the more bounty you needed to accrue. This forced players to plan how they spent their money and how they micromanaged their time/actions.

I don't know...I'm not too fond about it personally. Good idea but for another game, not what Don't Starve is about or really needs. You'll be focusing on acquiring resources only to wreck havoc on someone else's world. I guarantee the novelty of this will wear off quickly, as I would rather spend my time working together with someone building up a self sustaining base and exploring as much as I can, on the surface and in caves, tag teaming bosses, clearing out hound mounds, tentacle traps etc...

A separate mode for PvP is what I am against, I'm hoping all time and resources go into one mode which focuses on team work and survival together. Everything we are discussing about that is here.

Hi, welcome to the vast potential of modding. I'll be your guide.

Sounds really cool but I am afraid I would rather spend time working on my own projects (flash games) than dedicate it to modding. By the way - if someone is interested in using this idea for a mod then feel free to do so.

This won't work and I cannot see it having the slimmest chance of happening in the base game, I'm sorry.

It's ok.

A separate mode for PvP is what I am against, I'm hoping all time and resources go into one mode which focuses on team work and survival together. Everything we are discussing about that is here.

I understand this concern nevertheless I think it would be a nice addition to the game and if not implemented now then maybe in the future.

There should also be a kind of spectator mode for people who want to watch these two players duke it out and have a side by side split screen of each player so you can sit back and watch them both suffer.

Yeah that would be great!

Perhaps the Things as well as the Wooden Thing should be absent since the players should be limited to the world they are stuck on. If one of the player's has their base burned down in a heat wave invoked by the other player, they shouldn't be able to just use the wooden things to go to another world or use them as fuel for the Sacrificial Altar. 

Interesting idea. It makes me wonder if it would be a viable strategy to spend time looking for Things in this mode.

Heard an idea pretty darn exact to this before...

Oh, that's interesting.

Yes... but not in Don't Starve Together. The devs will already have enough one their plate getting DS to be multiplayer and the whole point to this multiplayer is to play together. This would take some time and probably have to be a different project.

I agree. The focus right now is on the cooperative aspect as an extansion of the traditional survival mode with an oddity of having an option for 'PvP' which will translate into an unorganized 'do what you want' type of a play. 

Btw - the encouragment for the forum community is a PR stunt. The devs have a vision of 90% of the stuff they will try to implement from the moment they announce things.

I think it can backfire in some situations.

humm... i can't see how,  no darkness for the night, old bell with the deciduous forest  and even dark petals for NF (and the mushtrees for easy blue and green shrooms), werepigs loots a lot more!(one werepig gives enough to make one hambat...ONE!) And for the non wilson characters, a good way of get werebunnies(i don't remenber the name) for lots of beard hairs(1 WB gives 2 beard hairs so 2 WB make one meat effigy.....make the count...)

humm... i can't see how,  no darkness for the night, old bell with the deciduous forest  and even dark petals for NF (and the mushtrees for easy blue and green shrooms), werepigs loots a lot more!(one werepig gives enough to make one hambat...ONE!) And for the non wilson characters, a good way of get werebunnies(i don't remenber the name) for lots of beard hairs(1 WB gives 2 beard hairs so 2 WB make one meat effigy.....make the count...)

So an expedition where 12 of your Pigmen buddies turned into enemies wouldn't be a bad one? 

So an expedition where 12 of your Pigmen buddies turned into enemies wouldn't be a bad one? 

....What, you're using pigmens? I should  remenber that other people may don't play with webber....But without this, how use would it be? Never used them before RoG.... and after.....there was... webber.

....What, you're using pigmens? I should  remenber that other people may don't play with webber....But without this, how use would it be? Never used them before RoG.... and after.....there was... webber.

I hope you will try the old characters again. They're not that bad.

Hud, of course i like some of them but.....webber is so ..... parfait(it deserve french).. after him i played a lot wilson(is unrelenting) and the third is wes...(only third because a bug never let me unlock him so... i never played it...)

sounds more like a good idea for a mod once it's actually out to me :)

i don't think Don't Starve should be bound by rules. my idea of multiplayer included logging in when you feel like it, and not being bound by any specific rules, like, when you encounter other players, you can kill them if you want to, there's nothing stopping you.

Archived