Am I the only one who intentionally doesn't use a meat effigy/amulet? ._.

Do you use a meat effigy or amulet to ressurect yourself?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a meat effigy or amulet to ressurect yourself?

• Yes I do,I want to live!
    • No I do not,dead means dead to me!

Do you use a meat effigy or amulet at all?And why or why not?

Personally I have never used a meat effigy nor amulet before.In fact,I intentionally didn't research both of them at all(Even though I am playing as Willow and she doesn't grow a beard :D).I want dead to be unforgiving,meaning I have to start all over if my time has come.That,and preventing me from being careless too much..Those near dead experiences are a lot more thrilling to me than to just think "oh well if I die my meat effigy will ressurect me ^^",but yeah how about you?

post-3309-13764589570302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spazmatic

The game is easy enough at the moment that those items are not even needed to be honest, I think that in the future they will probably be a lot more useful but right now its possible to completely avoid confrontation and in a lot of cases not even take damage if you decide to be adventurous or even super aggressive and wipe out all enemies that are on the map.

I did not have to make either to easily survive 60 days so that I could unlock the other characters - I might of just got lucky with my map but still once you are established you really have nothing to worry about except for the odd hound attack it seams like.

I've started not using them so I don't get so cocky in combat and the game maintains - to some degree - the "oh ****, right, this is a permadeath game, gotta be more careful" feeling that is a big part of what makes it so fun/compelling.

If you're still on your first few games with Wilson, sure, go ahead and make that effigy. But now that I'm rolling with Wendy and able to hit the "content wall" by Day 40? Nah, who needs Amulets?

Of course, once the final game hits and I'm in some super-hostile, late-game world, I might change my mind and equip that Amulet. At least, I hope I will.

I actually loath those items, they seem to take away the entire point of the game. When I see someone on day one zillion I want it to be because they EARNED it, not because they died repeatedly, but always had an "extra life", what is the point of a survival game if you don't have to work at surviving? bleh. Worst items in the game.

I actually loath those items, they seem to take away the entire point of the game. When I see someone on day one zillion I want it to be because they EARNED it, not because they died repeatedly, but always had an "extra life", what is the point of a survival game if you don't have to work at surviving? bleh. Worst items in the game.

Because a person who hides in their base and just spends all day collecting seeds/manure and growing crops without any 'extra lives' have earned their survival more than the person who goes out and kills everything they can find and die once in a while with 'extra lives', right?

I usually built Meat Effigies as a precaution, however, I rarely die... in my last game I even smashed all the effigies with a hammer to add a little risk.

The amulet is pretty worthless though, because it revives you on the spot. And whatever killed you, will most likely just kill you again. Best example are tentacles, before you can grab and equip any of your old stuff, they just smash you to death.

I don't think they are /too/ bad personally. The time to make each one means that after a while if you die to rapidly you are out of luck.

When the rest of the world's threat is fleshed out, I'll worry about using them or not proplerly.

The amulet has it's own risks, to the point it can get you killed or double killed as often as it saves you.

Because a person who hides in their base and just spends all day collecting seeds/manure and growing crops without any 'extra lives' have earned their survival more than the person who goes out and kills everything they can find and die once in a while with 'extra lives', right?

I actually don't like people sitting in beefolo herds farming all day with no risks either. In my ideal "don't starve" universe you need to eat both meat and vegetables/fruit to stay healthy, beefolo stay in herds and respawn, and if you hunt pigs . . . well first they stop following you, then they invent armor, and eventually they invent spears.

The game is in beta so I expect things to change over time. From my perspective the amulet and effigy are both changes in the wrong direction. Rather than opening up new challenges and new ways to play with the world they simply make it so perma-death goes away.

So far I've avoided resorting to farming, I hunt to get most of my food, usually monster meat in crock pots, or pork from pigs since rabbits seem a bit too easy at the moment. However I don't want farming to go away, I just want farmers to face a larger set of challenges, for example maybe if all you eat is carrots this goat-demon could come for you. lol

It's all a matter of balance. The amulet and the effigy don't balance anything I can be a cowardly farmer with twenty effigies, or a not so brave hunter with the same, but without the effigies it's a different type of game.

I keep an amulet in my backpack in the instances where my brain has ceased to function.

For example just yesterday I was moving stuff from one chest to another and lost track of time, night-time came by and in a hurry I dragged the wood in my inventory to the fire pit but I must have aimed a little too high because I dropped it. When I picked it back up night-time came and I wasn't able to "Add Fuel" to my firepit despite clicking in the general direction of it. I tried to make a new fire in a hurry but it seems like I can't do that either in complete darkness. So I just put on my Amulet and let the thing beat me to death. Revived in the morning.

Edited by kuudou
No idea why it updated with the same message

I use them, but I never consider them when I'm about to die, I'm always cautious about what I do. Besides, can you imagine what would happen if I didn't have another meat effigy when I'm about to die because I was careless enough to lose it?

- - - Updated - - -

I use them, but I never consider them when I'm about to die, I'm always cautious about what I do. Besides, can you imagine what would happen if I didn't have another meat effigy when I'm about to die because I was careless enough to lose it?