Wigfrid should be able to eat ice.

Wifrid is a peculiar character. She has a vampire like power of taking the sanity and health of others and has quite the health. here only attribute is that she won't eat veggi's, including honey and butterfly wings which I fairy certan butterful wings are meat.However I will not beilive Wigfrid can't eat ice, since ice is just solid water. I can't be expected to beilive Wigfrid wouldn't "drink water becasue true warriors don't". Now this is me, but I'm pretty sure every living thing needs water to survive and I doupt Wigfrid is an exception. I don't mind her inability to eat vegi's but I thikk the line needs to be drawn at Ice.

I remember Seth commenting on logical inconsistencies with Wigfrid's eating habits. He said something like she is only able to eat foods with the meat tag and making butterfly wings have the meat tag, or making an exception, for her could potentially have extensive ripple effects. I assume the same is with ice

I remember Seth commenting on logical inconsistencies with Wigfrid's eating habits. He said something like she is only able to eat foods with the meat tag and making butterfly wings have the meat tag, or making an exception, for her could potentially have extensive ripple effects. I assume the same is with ice

That's not true, it can be accomplished other ways. For example, the eater component could have a flag for Wigfrid specifically, which causes an additional check specifically for ice and butterfly wings. If you can find where SethR said that, perhaps I can go there and suggest these other methods?

Wifrid is a peculiar character. She has a vampire like power of taking the sanity and health of others and has quite the health. here only attribute is that she won't eat veggi's, including honey and butterfly wings which I fairy certan butterful wings are meat.However I will not beilive Wigfrid can't eat ice, since ice is just solid water. I can't be expected to beilive Wigfrid wouldn't "drink water becasue true warriors don't". Now this is me, but I'm pretty sure every living thing needs water to survive and I doupt Wigfrid is an exception. I don't mind her inability to eat vegi's but I thikk the line needs to be drawn at Ice.

Butterflies in Don't Starve are technically plants :p

Maxwell says "It's a flying flower", and you can plant them to make flowers.

But I agree it's a bit weird. Butterflies would be too good a source of health for her, though.

That's not true, it can be accomplished other ways. For example, the eater component could have a flag for Wigfrid specifically, which causes an additional check specifically for ice and butterfly wings. If you can find where SethR said that, perhaps I can go there and suggest these other methods?

You're best off making that suggestion and then tagging him in the post

• Developer

While it's true that there are absolutely other ways to accomplish this, Don't Starve is a very systems-driven game and we strive to avoid putting in special-casing or bespoke interactions whenever possible. There are two big reasons for this: first, to avoid having to update any edge cases caused by special-casing when changes are made. Second, to increase the ease of modding the game (which ties back into the first part).

The other side of the coin is that Wigfrid's character card says "only eats meat". We could certainly change the string to be more descriptive of her eating habits, but it's cleaner and more easily understandable if she has one clear rule about what she will and won't eat (rather than a general trend with a bunch of specific exceptions). Our characters tend to be more caricature than realistic representations of people.

Archived