How do YOU deal with giants?

I had to face a bearger for the first time on day 15 of one of my worlds. I was only able to take it down by sacrificing two herds of beefalo, two spider dens, and some pigs. It was a ton of fun, but it made me wonder how other people deal with giants.

If I see that I won't be able to kill the giant I leave him alone, let it do whatever he wants (eating my food, destroying buildings, burning things...) and wait for the end of the season.

When I hear a giant coming I move out of my camp (if I'm there), say 2-3 screens away. I wait for him with my spear + pig helmet + log armor (just in case). As soon as he shows up, I charge at him to get 1st blood (it would make my mother proud). Then I dodge his attack, go back in, hit him twice, dodge, repeat. The ''F'' button is a must in this case, because I only move far enough to avoid his attack and I want to be back in melee as soon as possible to be able to land my 2 hits and move out before he can touch me. That works for both Deerclops and Bearger. I usually don't get hit (unless I derp). Haven't faced spring/summer giants yet, they just never came for me and I never did anything to find them/lure them to me.

Edit: When it's late game and I don't feel like fighting a giant, I usually just telelocate him randomly somewhere in the world never to see him again (until next season).

When I hear a giant coming I move out of my camp (if I'm there), say 2-3 screens away. I wait for him with my spear + pig helmet + log armor (just in case). As soon as he shows up, I charge at him to get 1st blood (it would make my mother proud). Then I dodge his attack, go back in, hit him twice, dodge, repeat. The ''F'' button is a must in this case, because I only move far enough to avoid his attack and I want to be back in melee as soon as possible to be able to land my 2 hits and move out before he can touch me. That works for both Deerclops and Bearger. I usually don't get hit (unless I derp). Haven't faced spring/summer giants yet, they just never came for me and I never did anything to find them/lure them to me.

Edit: When it's late game and I don't feel like fighting a giant, I usually just telelocate him randomly somewhere in the world never to see him again (until next season).

How are you telelocate him ? 

I am not good at kiting, so what i do varies. I tried to kite a random Bearger i encountered, and died when it had like 1 hit left before it was dead. It was my fault, because while i did get a few successful kitings in, i failed a few. Now this is only DebugSpawn encounters, so now its time for the legit encounter. Usually when i know the Bearger is coming i try to arm myself to the teeth (Dragonfly is on none, deerclops is on less) and then try (and usually fail) to kite him by moving with WASD and spamming the F key when i get close. The charging is the most annoying part for me because i usually then he is simply running around and forget its gonna hurt. The knocking your weapon off of you when he attacks you is super annoying though.

The first giant I killed as the second I encountered (first was bearger that killed me, fun though :p) was the dragonfly. Kind of brutal. Luckily I had started in spring and missed that giant so i had some time to prepare if I would find one. My base was set up near a large patch of killerbee hives, so I (like the other guy wrote previously) always move away from my base if I hear a boss and kited him over to the beehives. He wiped out a ton, and I had to finally kill him with auto attacks and kiting. I also use "f" key to retarget quicker. If I feel that I'm weak I just find a path to run along.

I ended up doing this with Woodie on day 15 on a new world and killed the Bearger without taking any damage. This is mainly because the Bearger's aoe attack doesn't deal damage to the player, only his swipe and charge, since the boss wasn't enraged enough he didn't charge only kind of sat there between attacks taking the pain and trying to swipe the same space.

Other bosses were much the same, the spring boss was pathetic. The most difficult for me is either 1st season summer, since 2nd season he is easy to tank with a couple football helmets a weapon and the armor from the previous Dragonfly drop; or Deerclops. For some reason, either from greed or misjudging the distance, I always get a tail-end of his swipe that puts me into the 1/2 freeze then usually claim another and get frozen. But I have been able to tank the damage with a solid weapon + log suit + football helmets. I always carry 2-3 head armor and body armor for fights, plus a couple weapons. And if need be some healing salve incase things get dicey. (idk if that is spelled right)

The following messages are based on my experience:

As soon as you hear the roar, you should be running away from your base with some basic necessities like ice cube, some hays and fire wood. Then, go to an open field with, maybe beefaloes or beehives. Next,provoke beefaloes and beehives and diverge their aggro towards the giant, Hit the giants in safe distance and collect the rewards.

What I wrote above should be the correct way to deal with giants in the early game, if you want to do it in single combat/PvM then:

lead the giants into an open field. Before doing so, remember to wear ice cube or something warm depending on the season.Kiting is really easy; for all the giants other than dragonfly, you simply have to hit the giants once and back off. This is the simplest and easiest way to kill any giants, if you want a faster way to kill them, it is possible to squeeze two to three hits in between the aoe (not advised for beginners). The exception, dragonfly, is a bit harder. You have to bait his swing attack, then you can hit him. 

Weapon of choice: ham bat, tentacle spikes and gunpowder. Ham bat is the best against giants simply because it gives the hardest hit and it has no durability, if you don't have the ingredients for it, you can use the tentacle spikes. Do not use spear or dark sword as you will become insane while fighting the giants. Gunpowder can be used in 9 stacks(don't use 10) and use it in conjunction with pan flute.

I'm currently playing as Webber, and have a Queens' Gathering set piece in my world. The moment I hear the noise for a giant spawning I run over to the spider city and let them do the work for me. It goes pretty quickly considering how many spiders the queens end up producing.

I actually ragequit the first time I encountered the deerclops and the first time I encountered the bearger. Now thinking about it and I havent tried it yet, but my idea would be not to kill it but get it away from my base.

I had to face a bearger for the first time on day 15 of one of my worlds. I was only able to take it down by sacrificing two herds of beefalo, two spider dens, and some pigs. It was a ton of fun, but it made me wonder how other people deal with giants.

and some people want the giants to be buffed!!!!!!!

and some people want the giants to be buffed!!!!!!!

The real issue is that most giants aren't that challenging.  If you are in decent health, you can kill any giant with a log suit and pigskin helmet.  You maybe need multiple armor pieces against deerclops as he does freeze you every other hit not.  But, the logs, pigskin, and rope are not very difficult to obtain. 

I have pet Treeguards in a killing field that, with a bit of ice staff support from me, make short work of those giants for me.

Took me several days to summon the biggest ones, though.

I looked for an area that treeguards won't wonder off too far and where I can lead new ones in easily then planted and chopped woods like no tomorrow.

When I hear the giants I just camp around that spot and lead them into my treeguards field.

I usually   try and find a solid chunk of land with one entrance that is in proximity to the  pig king .  Then I find and transport 5ish spider dens to the one entrance  to the land mass. At the very least  ill get monster meat from it. 

I also try to build a small army of pigmen armed with helmets (wigfred is so damn op). 

after that I make a chest of  boomerangs , helms  and log suites.   If all else fails ill throw on double defensive gear and try and face tank. 

I also do the tree guard thing  but since I employ so many pigs for cutting wood , there is usually an epic battle that results in a weakened tree guard. 

But yeah most bosses are easy , then again when you have two 80% damage reduction pieces   many things are easy. 

My first killed giant was Bearger.It was on day 15.He started to follow me ,and went to my little tree guard.Bearger killed him.Then i went to my frog lakes.There were many frogs,but all of them were killed by a single attack.At last i went to another tree guard ,and soon Bearger fell down dead.I got all the loot and a lot of frog legs too.That was kind of tactic... :indecisiveness:

If people want challenge from the giants why don't they just stop playing as WX, Wolfgang, Wigfried etc?

Fighting them with Wes, hitting like a wimp or with Webber and getting allucinations chasing you from the insanity aura are nice challenges.

What I mentionned in my  original post was with Webber. It's still possible to beat them one on one in melee without getting it once and without going insane (if you are at full sanity when the battle starts.

This is how i dealt with the Dragonfly when I first met him: Bring a rocklobster to attack him and go make a marble suit, helmet and get a Spike from the tentacles. Go back with the armor and the spike, try to tank him, feel happy about the little damage his attacks are making, see as he makes the 'stomp' attack and your health suddendly goes down quickly, respawn at touchstone and die again because of overheating, respawn at yet another touchstone and get back toy your camp fast enough not to die, see as almost everything you had was burned, and then cry.

Well I just got a special visit today from the dragonfly while playing as Webber. I never faced him before, so I decided to use my usual melee technique. I must admit I was pleased with the difficulty of the combat. I had to heal at some point and had to craft an extra armor/helmet mid fight, which rarely happens against anything else, except for the occasional lack of attention + sneaky tentacle combo. With little to no knowledge of it's attack pattern, I still managed to kill it, one on one, in melee with a tentacle spike and pig helmet + log armor. Had to switch to icecube occasionally to cool down, but it's still killable in melee. I wish all the bosses/giants were at least that hard to kill one on one.

If people want challenge from the giants why don't they just stop playing as WX, Wolfgang, Wigfried etc?

Fighting them with Wes, hitting like a wimp or with Webber and getting allucinations chasing you from the insanity aura are nice challenges.

I've fought all four of them with Wilson. And I fought two with ______. Being Wes is just useless since I can kill both fall and spring giant with no damage. I don't want to be sitting there longer doing the same pattern over and over. As for Webber, I never get that low on sanity unless I need to. Fighting a giant with something else there is just silly XD

Archived