Giant Steps 4/4/14 - Hotfix Revs 99195 and 99231

What's the point in hiring them if they eat up your loot, just like when pigs used to do same, and plus it's not like you can hire the spider to do chop tree's for you or restore your sanity like pigs. Spiders are meant to help in fights when your Webber and if their just gonna eat the loot it's defeating the main purpose of hiring them.

Because hiring a large amount of spiders should have some downside to it. The 2 second gap of time is enough if you're really determined to get the food before they do.

• Developer

Spiders that are next to Webber when he removes the spiderhat will still attack him.  Am I right in assuming that this is because he gets the monster tag removed then instantly regains it, causing the spiders to immediately recognize the loss and enter combat?

You're close, but not quite there. Specifically, in addition to removing the monster tag, unequipping the hat also tells any following spiders that they might want to attack the entity that just took off the hat. In the case of Webber, we don't actually want that (but that's how it is right now). So, the hat will no longer make all spiders aggressive to him, but it will tell the spiders currently following him to attack. We'll fix it, but it might not come until the next update. In the meantime, just be careful when you take off the hat :)

so does neutral spiders still attack chester that's gonna be annoying in base because you would want spiders to be in your base they will come out everynight and attack chester ahh no my poor storage fluffy pumpkin follower cute friend

Hey everyone! We just pushed a hotfix for a number of issues. Here's the changelist:

Revision 99195:

• Fix burned pig houses spawning pigs on load

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?! :( I LIKED THIS BUG SO BAD! It was fun to walk past burned house and see horde of pigs wandering around! I even found Mr. P once! How could I make this bug to happen again??? PLEASE TELL ME!!!

so does neutral spiders still attack chester that's gonna be annoying in base because you would want spiders to be in your base they will come out everynight and attack chester ahh no my poor storage fluffy pumpkin follower cute friend

I guess you could always put Chester a bit away from your camp, put his eyebone inside him or on the ground to keep him there and when you go out on an expedition, pick up the eyebone ! You could even build him a fancy fence if you like =)

I doubt you need to have him around all the time. Personally, he's always getting in my way when I am at my base, so the solution I proposed doesnt seem too bad in theory.

One suggestion for webber; what if some creepy things like evil flowers and going through wormhole would give him sanity instead of taking it away? Because he is a monster and it would be cool to have a character, that likes creepy stuff, unless they want to kill him.

Just don't put any Spider's nests INSIDE your base. Place them a little bit away from it or suffer the consequences of not being able to use chester and gloomer while having a nice and easy to use base protection.

@klei

Thanks for those fixes ! Much appreciated ! I think it puts Webber in a much more fun state to play then he was before. If he's too OP, you can always give him some more drawbacks or tweak some values to balance it out. Honestly, I don't think he's that OP. Spiders do eat stuff from the ground (thank god for that delay though) but you can hire a bunch of them. I don't see them better or worse than pigs as it stands now and it's definately a greater challenge having hostile pigs than hostile spiders. I'm quite afraid now when I see a pig village when playing as webber that I'm going to get my ass kicked.

The only thing I'm worried about is that eating monster meat is going to be a too easy food source playing as him. Maybe he could still get a sanity drain, but of a lesser value than it was before ? So that you can eat some monster meat with no problem, but not make it your only diet ? It's not a big deal, because food is never really the big challenge of the game for me anyways. Anytime you get a good base going, you'll be swimming in food anyways and any other caracter can eat a bunch of monster meat with no penality by placing one in a crock pot.

Just don't put any Spider's nests INSIDE your base. Place them a little bit away from it or suffer the consequences of not being able to use chester and gloomer while having a nice and easy to use base protection.

@klei

Thanks for those fixes ! Much appreciated ! I think it puts Webber in a much more fun state to play then he was before. If he's too OP, you can always give him some more drawbacks or tweak some values to balance it out. Honestly, I don't think he's that OP. Spiders do eat stuff from the ground (thank god for that delay though) but you can hire a bunch of them. I don't see them better or worse than pigs as it stands now and it's definately a greater challenge having hostile pigs than hostile spiders. I'm quite afraid now when I see a pig village when playing as webber that I'm going to get my ass kicked.

The only thing I'm worried about is that eating monster meat is going to be a too easy food source playing as him. Maybe he could still get a sanity drain, but of a lesser value than it was before ? So that you can eat some monster meat with no problem, but not make it your only diet ? It's not a big deal, because food is never really the big challenge of the game for me anyways. Anytime you get a good base going, you'll be swimming in food anyways and any other caracter can eat a bunch of monster meat with no penality by placing one in a crock pot.

As you mentionned, in late game food becomes more or less of an issue and every character can use monster meat in a crock pot anyway, so I don't think that is too much of a problem having Webber eating it without sanity loss. And let's face it, monster meat (cooked or not) and even monster lasagna are far worst food source than most of the good food you can prepare in a crock pot ! I see it more as a last resort food source.

With the monster meat not draining sanity, Webber now really becomes in his own way a master of caves. He can bypass spiders easily or befriend them (with the help of a little creativity). Labyrinth becomes rather simple (except for the shadow creatures). Even depth worms are now beneficial, as they will provide plenty of monster meat for Webber. As a drawback, however, he has a pretty low sanity, so one needs good methods of dealing with sanity drain in caves or the master of caves will soon become the crazy master of caves =)

Are these spiders that are loyal to you, or just neutral? That might explain why you're seeing that behavior: loyal spiders should get along with your other friends Chester and Glommer, but otherwise spiders will be spiders.

What he is saying, is that loyal spiders have to be fed every so often, and if you don't do that they become unloyal and start fightning Chester and Glommer. This is a problem and if you're going to have loyal spiders with Chester and glommer you have to feed the spiders everytime. It's like blackmail and you either feed them every time or leave chester and glommer somewhere until your loyal spiders go away or something like that. The system just doesn't work. I'd suggest either all spiders don't attack them or if you give meat once to a spider, he'll be loyal to you for the rest of his days. Otherways, just too much pressure/system doen't work.

Are these spiders that are loyal to you, or just neutral? That might explain why you're seeing that behavior: loyal spiders should get along with your other friends Chester and Glommer, but otherwise spiders will be spiders.

What Ximrix said above.

This is a spider den on my base, every spider has to be "bought" when they emerge from the den. To avoid Glommer being killed I had to give 6 monster meat for the 6 spiders that emerged. Example: I had "bought" 3 and the 4th emerged, and immediately attacked Glommer. With Chester I could wait till all 6 emerged from the stage 2 nest, then give meat to just one because he can withstand some attacks but with Glommer he died by the 5th spider even though he was only attacked twice. :(

Shouldn't they know that their "sisters" are my buddies ? With the spider hat newly spawned spiders treat me as friend

I had a spider nest by my base and every night new spiders spawn, in spite of me having my "spider army" already. Every night was a race to save Chester, Glommer was impossible to keep :(

Sanity

Weber can not be " master of caves" with this low sanity. I have had no problems keeping him sane for 4 seasons above ground and I can manage keeping him sane on a cave if it doesn't rain. When you add rain + cave debuff he loses like 10 sanity per second there simply isn't enough time to counteract the double whammy of sanity debuffs. And on caves you need hands free for lantern - no umbrella - or head free for miners hat - no tophat - so there isn't a way to keep the rain debuff at 0.

Is just too much too fast. Weber needs a cap on his sanity loss on caves, rain + cave debuff is too op and makes his best skills moot. There is no way to keep him sane on a rainy cave so all his cave spider befriending  skills were useless. I could not keep him sane long enough to meet the spitters.

Catcoons / a good weapon at start:

If you guys think playing solo with him (no spider army) is the goal, I would suggest spawning him with a tentacle spike, he is very weak and without  spike he can't do much. Also can cats be neutral to him, like rock lobsters are ? Or even if they attack on sight, can you allow the cats to be befriended ? Webber has so few friends already and a kid would absolutely love a kitty so makes sense for him to be able to have a catcoon as pet. Catcoons attack pretty much everything on sight so them attacking Webber at first is not unexpected, but having  them turn friendly if given a gift would be awesome for role playing and for helping Weber make do without his spider army.

Spider Whistle ?

What is more maddening about having to befriend new spiders every night is that the mechanics for befriending them - giving meat - can be a way to lose all your meat stack just by misplacing the mouse. You go from "give" to "drop" in the blink of an eye and there goes your meat stack. If it was a flute or a whistle at least you wouldn't have to see all your spider befriending powers get gobbled up right in front of you while you are desperately trying to keep Glommer alive like it happened to me. And Weber would always have it with him, and would not depend on having the meat not getting rotten.

Bottom line:

I really love  Weber and I'm trying hard to keep him alive but right now the only way I can do it is by not having a spider army and never going into a cave, so it's kind of defeating the purpose, no ? His 2 special abilities can't be used :(

Chester / Glommer fixes were not effective :(

Each new spider that emerges from the nest attacks Chester (and Glommer) and you have to immediately give meat to the new spider even though the other spiders are friendly. This has to be done every night :( For Glommer with his low health I wasn't fast enough and he died his first night. For Chester I was able to keep him alive for a few nights but I eventually ran out of meat and now I just watch him be clobbered by clueless spiders every night.

To make things worse, "Give" and "Drop" are both clicks depending on where your mouse is so it is very easy to drop a stack. I dropped a few stacks of meat while trying to get the newly emerged spider to know we are buddies...

Bottom Line, to keep both Chester and spiders is way too much work and has to be repeated every night. Worse yet for Glommer, One delayed food morsel and he is spider chow.

He said,the only spiders whos not attacking chester are the ones whos following you,well it makes the game a lot easier imo,i was just getting used to this,then the hotfix appeard

What's the point in hiring them if they eat up your loot, just like when pigs used to do same, and plus it's not like you can hire the spider to do chop tree's for you or restore your sanity like pigs. Spiders are meant to help in fights when your Webber and if their just gonna eat the loot it's defeating the main purpose of hiring them.

because a lot of spiders are strong like hell, they can help you fight against bosses,and clockwork thingies etc. not just for meet.

build wall for spider nests! i did that a lot of times. they dont eat themselves out if im right.  And if you need them just hammer one or two wall and get them out.

Not sure if it was mentioned but. You can get rainstorms and heatstrokes in the caves.

By heatstrokes you mean overheat right? Pretty sure thats intended, they said weather was not going to be as bad in caves didnt they? Unless it's taking the same time to overheat as it always did, then there is a problem.

By heatstrokes you mean overheat right? Pretty sure thats intended, they said weather was not going to be as bad in caves didnt they? Unless it's taking the same time to overheat as it always did, then there is a problem.

Yeah. Overheating. Though it really is weird how rainstorms appear in a enclosed space. It would make sense if it was one of those outside light openings like when you enter the caves but otherwise...

Also shouldn't caves be colder than the outside itself?

Yeah. Overheating. Though it really is weird how rainstorms appear in a enclosed space. It would make sense if it was one of those outside light openings like when you enter the caves but otherwise...

Also shouldn't caves be colder than the outside itself?

If they did that, going into caves in winter would be a no-no, but i'm pretty sure in real life caves (MOSTLY) have a stable amount of heat.

Archived