Giant Steps 4/4/14 - Hotfix Revs 99195 and 99231

• Developer
Hey everyone! We just pushed a hotfix for a number of issues. Here's the changelist:

Revision 99195:
  • Webber's beard now grows faster
  • Webber can craft a spider egg sack
  • Webber can upgrade spider dens with silk
  • Spiders that are following Webber will now wait a moment before eating food on the ground
  • Spiders that are following Webber will no longer attack Chester and Glommer
  • Spiders will follow Webber properly through wormholes etc
  • Webber can now sleep in a tent/siesta canopy when neutral or friendly spiders are around (and his own monster-ness is no longer keeping him from sleeper)
  • Removed Webber's sanity loss on eat monster meat
  • Taking off the spider hat no longer removes Webber's monster tag, which caused spiders to hate him and pigs to like him
  • Reduced sanity buff from Glommer (EDIT: this might be a duplicate note from the last update)
  • Increased delay before Birchnuts transform to their monster mode after cutting down a tall tree
  • Catcoons raise naughtiness now
  • Fix some more issues with Glommer and Glommer's Flower getting un-linked
  • Fix smoldering not getting removed from the world when the entity it was attached to got removed (manifested as a permanently smoldering rabbit hole when the rabbit went inside)
  • Fix a couple crashes that occurred when auto-saving and when save-and-quitting
  • Fix crash with Birchnuts changing their leaves (OverrideSymbol crash)
  • Change Wendy's inspect on Mushtrees to not reference "down there" since they now appear outside of caves
  • Fix Moose Goose not triggering the epic fight music
  • Fix mole playing rabbit scream instead of mole death sound when it got cooked on a fire
  • Fix ice staff being used to extinguish erroneously starting combat music
  • Fix a crash with pigs that could happen when they were deciding if they should chop a tree
  • Fix burnt structures and trees being able to start wildfires
  • Made glommer goop burnable
  • Fix eyeplants not spreading to deciduous biome ground
  • Fix burned pig houses spawning pigs on load
  • Fix a crash in the bee mine
  • Add "friend gain" sound to Catcoon
  • Fix character's damage multipliers (for example on Wolfgang and Wigfrid) not functioning properly
  • Fix rabbit holes being closed outside of Spring and open in Spring
  • Fashion Melon can now go in the ice box
  • Fix crash on remove bird from cage
  • Fix crash when requiring inventoryitem from a modmain
  • Fix crash when feeding a spider near a spider queen as Webber
  • Fix a crash in the buzzard with its target not being present when it was trying to hunt it
  • Fix crash from heat sources (i.e. fires) near frozen things

Revision 99231:

• Fix food not applying sanity and health benefits/penalties (bug introduced in Revision 99195)
  • Fix Dragonfly flying sounds not turning off when he dies
  • Make Dragonfly stay in his angry build when he dies

Please let us know if you continue to see any of the above issues after you get the new version. And keep the bug reports coming!

Lastly, a quick note on Webber: he might be super easy now! We're aiming for him to be a fairly average difficulty character that encourages a different play-style and makes different times of day and different biomes more appealing to be active in.

I had a game with Webber that I started after the Giant Steps patch, I continued it after this hotfix. I tested the monster meat change: it worked as intended. However, none of the food I ate gave me back sanity ! I tested pumpkin cookies, honey ham, cooked green cap and none gave me back the sanity that they were supposed to give...

Edit: Is it possible that all food sanity drop/rise have been removed from the food for Webber ? I don't lose sanity if I eat cooked red cap (should lose 10) and I dont gain any from any food...

• Developer

I had a game with Webber that I started after the Giant Steps patch, I continued it after this hotfix. I tested the monster meat change: it worked as intended. However, none of the food I ate gave me back sanity ! I tested pumpkin cookies, monter ham, cooked green cap and none gave me back the sanity that they were supposed to give...

Edit: Is it possible that all food sanity drop/rise have been removed from the food for Webber ? I don't lose sanity if I eat cooked red cap (should lose 10) and I dont gain any from any food...

Good catch! Thanks. I'll fix that right up and try to push out a build tonight for that--that would make it pretty hard to play as Webber!

I had a game with Webber that I started after the Giant Steps patch, I continued it after this hotfix. I tested the monster meat change: it worked as intended. However, none of the food I ate gave me back sanity ! I tested pumpkin cookies, monter ham, cooked green cap and none gave me back the sanity that they were supposed to give...

Just be thankful you get to do other things with webber

Just be thankful you get to do other things with webber

haha right =) Off course ! I really appreciate all the work the devs do and the new stuff they implemented for Webber (+ all the other fixes)! It's merely that I saw the post regarding the hotfix had been written not too long ago, so I took a chance and posted something quick hoping they would actually see it =)

@StarvingPigs

You don't have to be rude about it.

Seth, would I be able to have a little quick-fix please? A little snippet of code to change, I can't seem to find the discrepancy myself. And I'm too impatient to wait 12 hrs lol

haha right =) Off course ! I really appreciate all the work the devs do and the new stuff they implemented for Webber (+ all the other fixes)! It's merely that I saw the post regarding the hotfix had been written not too long ago, so I took a chance and posted something quick hoping they would actually see it =)

I'll test it myself if it's only a chance though

• Developer

Will you need to restart another game for this to be added?

Nope, these fixes should slot right into any game that is in progress. Same with the food sanity fix that is coming.

I had a game with Webber that I started after the Giant Steps patch, I continued it after this hotfix. I tested the monster meat change: it worked as intended. However, none of the food I ate gave me back sanity ! I tested pumpkin cookies, honey ham, cooked green cap and none gave me back the sanity that they were supposed to give...

Same happened to me in a brand new game with Weber. In addition, it seems health also messed up. I don't regain health from mandrake roots, cooked carrots. berries, seeds, only healing salve seems to be working

• Developer

Glommer's sanity bonus was reduced again? Or was that simply a repeated note from last update?

Repeated, I think. But if you find it too low, please do leave us some feedback :)

Health penalties from mushrooms are hurting Webber again. Not sure if intended or not. If yes, then it ruins his only main way of recovering sanity besides sleeping.

I know it's not the right forum, but may I also suggest being able to make the cave spider stalagmites the same way he can make the standard spider nests? (with a more expensive recipe of course, equating from the more powerful spiders)

Spider's that follow Webber eat the loot from fallen monster, and I know they wait for a moment but that literally two seconds.

Two seconds is pretty generous considering spiders eat the food by design so you put some thought into using large amounts of them.

• Developer

Health penalties from mushrooms are hurting Webber again. Not sure if intended or not. If yes, then it ruins his only main way of recovering sanity besides sleeping.

Webber was never supposed to be free from penalties for eating any and all foods. He's able to eat monster meat without any trouble, as he is part spider, but that doesn't equate to not having any food penalties. Hope that clears things up!

Chester / Glommer fixes were not effective :(

Each new spider that emerges from the nest attacks Chester (and Glommer) and you have to immediately give meat to the new spider even though the other spiders are friendly. This has to be done every night :( For Glommer with his low health I wasn't fast enough and he died his first night. For Chester I was able to keep him alive for a few nights but I eventually ran out of meat and now I just watch him be clobbered by clueless spiders every night.

To make things worse, "Give" and "Drop" are both clicks depending on where your mouse is so it is very easy to drop a stack. I dropped a few stacks of meat while trying to get the newly emerged spider to know we are buddies...

Bottom Line, to keep both Chester and spiders is way too much work and has to be repeated every night. Worse yet for Glommer, One delayed food morsel and he is spider chow.

• Developer

Chester / Glommer fixes were not effective :(

Each spider that emerges from the nest attacks them and you have to immediately give them meat. This has to be done every night :( For Glommer with his low health I wasn't fast enough and he died his first night. For Chester I was abe to keep him alive for a few nights but I entually ran out of meat and now I just watch him be clobbered by clueless spiders every night.

To make things worse, "Give" and "Drop" are both clicks depending on where your mouse is so it is very easy to drop a stack. I dropped a few stacks of meat while trying to get the newly emerged spider to know we are buddies...

Bottom Line, to keep both Chester and spiders is way too much work and has to be repeated every night. Worse yet for Glommer, One delayed food morsel and he is spider chow.

Are these spiders that are loyal to you, or just neutral? That might explain why you're seeing that behavior: loyal spiders should get along with your other friends Chester and Glommer, but otherwise spiders will be spiders.

What's the point in hiring them if they eat up your loot, just like when pigs used to do same, and plus it's not like you can hire the spider to do chop tree's for you or restore your sanity like pigs. Spiders are meant to help in fights when your Webber and if their just gonna eat the loot it's defeating the main purpose of hiring them.

Spiders that are next to Webber when he removes the spiderhat will still attack him.  Am I right in assuming that this is because he gets the monster tag removed then instantly regains it, causing the spiders to immediately recognize the loss and enter combat?

Archived