Giant Steps 4/4/14 - Hotfix Revs 99195 and 99231

because a lot of spiders are strong like hell, they can help you fight against bosses,and clockwork thingies etc. not just for meet.

You can't get more than 10 spiders in time to get to a clockwork area. Takes too long to recruit lots of spiders and then you have like seconds till it is morning and they all leave you for their dens.

You can't get more than 10 spiders in time to get to a clockwork area. Takes too long to recruit lots of spiders and then you have like seconds till it is morning and they all leave you for their dens.

true,but its possible to have these spider nests planted in critical areas,although it can take a lot of time to get some,its good. also it can happen by coincidence that next to a clockwork area there is a huge "spider-forest",and when they start to fight we can collect those comfortably.

And by the way i am really happy happy for that hotfix!..wonder what comes after 2 weeks,and what can be added more. I think they should make something with the boss items,i mean giving some extra stuff to it,to make it more worthy. Or when they making it craftable anyway,then it would be good to having more craftables from boss items,like more weapons,or even structures,so it makes you harder to decide what to make from the item.

Oh ya, the hotfix was awesome. I hope devs don't think I'm saying the game is bad in any way. I'm just trying to help make my new favorite character - Weber - into a character that can be used more often.

I am loving the DLC :)

build wall for spider nests! i did that a lot of times. they dont eat themselves out if im right.  And if you need them just hammer one or two wall and get them out.

ahem they do eat it actually coughhammeringwallscoughiskindaannoyingcough

What Ximrix said above.

This is a spider den on my base, every spider has to be "bought" when they emerge from the den. To avoid Glommer being killed I had to give 6 monster meat for the 6 spiders that emerged. Example: I had "bought" 3 and the 4th emerged, and immediately attacked Glommer. With Chester I could wait till all 6 emerged from the stage 2 nest, then give meat to just one because he can withstand some attacks but with Glommer he died by the 5th spider even though he was only attacked twice. :(

Shouldn't they know that their "sisters" are my buddies ? With the spider hat newly spawned spiders treat me as friend

I had a spider nest by my base and every night new spiders spawn, in spite of me having my "spider army" already. Every night was a race to save Chester, Glommer was impossible to keep :(

Sanity

Weber can not be " master of caves" with this low sanity. I have had no problems keeping him sane for 4 seasons above ground and I can manage keeping him sane on a cave if it doesn't rain. When you add rain + cave debuff he loses like 10 sanity per second there simply isn't enough time to counteract the double whammy of sanity debuffs. And on caves you need hands free for lantern - no umbrella - or head free for miners hat - no tophat - so there isn't a way to keep the rain debuff at 0.

Is just too much too fast. Weber needs a cap on his sanity loss on caves, rain + cave debuff is too op and makes his best skills moot. There is no way to keep him sane on a rainy cave so all his cave spider befriending  skills were useless. I could not keep him sane long enough to meet the spitters.

Catcoons / a good weapon at start:

If you guys think playing solo with him (no spider army) is the goal, I would suggest spawning him with a tentacle spike, he is very weak and without  spike he can't do much. Also can cats be neutral to him, like rock lobsters are ? Or even if they attack on sight, can you allow the cats to be befriended ? Webber has so few friends already and a kid would absolutely love a kitty so makes sense for him to be able to have a catcoon as pet. Catcoons attack pretty much everything on sight so them attacking Webber at first is not unexpected, but having  them turn friendly if given a gift would be awesome for role playing and for helping Weber make do without his spider army.

Spider Whistle ?

What is more maddening about having to befriend new spiders every night is that the mechanics for befriending them - giving meat - can be a way to lose all your meat stack just by misplacing the mouse. You go from "give" to "drop" in the blink of an eye and there goes your meat stack. If it was a flute or a whistle at least you wouldn't have to see all your spider befriending powers get gobbled up right in front of you while you are desperately trying to keep Glommer alive like it happened to me. And Weber would always have it with him, and would not depend on having the meat not getting rotten.

Bottom line:

I really love  Weber and I'm trying hard to keep him alive but right now the only way I can do it is by not having a spider army and never going into a cave, so it's kind of defeating the purpose, no ? His 2 special abilities can't be used :(

For the cave + rain issue, there is always the rain coat, that leaves your hands and head free for any light source you want and it gives 100% rain protection. If you go with the lantern, that leaves your head free for tam o shanter and I think you are well geared for cave exploration under rain conditions. I usually go for the miner's hat, however, which gives me hands free to either fight or use a walking cane. Low sanity can be an issue, but it's just a time constraint really. If you can't keep your sanity up at 100, you won't be able to keep it up at 1000. I could also suggest not to go in caves if rain is too much trouble, but I still think that Webber has acces to more ''tools'' in the caves for his survivability as compared to other characters (if you can keep your sanity up) !

Edit: You could also try to find some mushrooms area in the cave, which should help you solve the sanity issue if you don't regen enough with clothes. At +15/100, it doesnt take a lot to raise it ! =)

The Lureplants still don't grow Eyeplants on the Decidous biomes. Not sure if this is a bug but Birchnut tree guards spawn too many and too often, even when put to less!

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I have fun mentally face palming at the lure plant as though it cared.

• Developer

So I have to say I am still having issues with two of the things in the hot fix list.

I have had glommer unlink from his flower today and am also noticing that cooked green mushrooms are not providing any sanity.

Thanks for letting us know! To be sure, what revision are you on? Can you provide any more details about the state of your game when you observed these, as well as any info about the actions you took leading up to when you observed the bugs? Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know! To be sure, what revision are you on? Can you provide any more details about the state of your game when you observed these, as well as any info about the actions you took leading up to when you observed the bugs? Thanks again.

The updater before the game starts says I am on version 98608.

I am on world 4 with Wolfgang. I started RoG with Wilson and each time I got board of a world I assembled the things and moved on, picking the next character in line. I eat green mushrooms for sanity a lot, so  can say with certainty that it was working for the other characters on other worlds, in the same save slot.

Glommer seemed to become unattached upon loading up the game again to play. I can not say if it was the 1st time reloading after getting him or not.

Also, and I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be, or if it is related or not, but I do have 2 don't starve icons on my desktop. One icon goes to my old saves and has no indication of RoG, and the other has Rog stuff but none of my old saves. Only the icon that goes to the original don't starve has the updater, and I actually have to launch that one to get updates. I was not getting 'giant steps' to show on the title screen until I launched that icon to get the update.

I hope that is the kind of information you were looking for. I was not really sure what you were looking for. I would be happy to provide other details if you can tell me more specifically what you are looking for.

• Developer

The updater before the game starts says I am on version 98608.

I am on world 4 with Wolfgang. I started RoG with Wilson and each time I got board of a world I assembled the things and moved on, picking the next character in line. I eat green mushrooms for sanity a lot, so  can say with certainty that it was working for the other characters on other worlds, in the same save slot.

Glommer seemed to become unattached upon loading up the game again to play. I can not say if it was the 1st time reloading after getting him or not.

Also, and I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be, or if it is related or not, but I do have 2 don't starve icons on my desktop. One icon goes to my old saves and has no indication of RoG, and the other has Rog stuff but none of my old saves. Only the icon that goes to the original don't starve has the updater, and I actually have to launch that one to get updates. I was not getting 'giant steps' to show on the title screen until I launched that icon to get the update.

I hope that is the kind of information you were looking for. I was not really sure what you were looking for. I would be happy to provide other details if you can tell me more specifically what you are looking for.

Thanks for the additional info! Can you try updating your game to revision 99241 and seeing if you still see this behavior? To do so, you can restart Steam or verify your game cache (right click on the game in your Steam library, select Properties, then go to the Local Files tab and click "verify integrity of game cache").

Are the two icons because you have the standalone version and the Steam version installed, perhaps? If so, that would explain the different sets of save files. If you want, it is possible to migrate saves between versions (however Reign of Giants doesn't exist in standalone quite yet).

Thanks for the additional info! Can you try updating your game to revision 99241 and seeing if you still see this behavior? To do so, you can restart Steam or verify your game cache (right click on the game in your Steam library, select Properties, then go to the Local Files tab and click "verify integrity of game cache").

Are the two icons because you have the standalone version and the Steam version installed, perhaps? If so, that would explain the different sets of save files. If you want, it is possible to migrate saves between versions (however Reign of Giants doesn't exist in standalone quite yet).

How do I force an update?? The Klei updater says the game is up to date at the version I reported.

Edit. Oh wait. I see what you said. Let me see if I can figure that out, one minute.

So dong this fixed the green mushrooms. Glommer is still not link to that same flower though. Also the updater still says I am on version 98608 and that the game is up to date on that version.

Edit: I actually like having 9 save slots and don't want to migrate the save files. Unless this is causing my problem, I am happy to leave things as they are. Also, not overly attached to those saves so if I had to lose them to fix whatever is going on here to make my game update properly I would not mind.

• Developer

So dong this fixed the green mushrooms. Glommer is still not link to that same flower though. Also the updater still says I am on version 98608 and that the game is up to date on that version.

Yeah, the updater is for the standalone, which is entirely separate from Reign of Giants.

Glad to hear the the sanity issue is fixed! Bryce actually just sorted out one more case that would cause the Glommer to stop following you. Hopefully that bug will be fully squashed when we put that fix out.

Yeah, the updater is for the standalone, which is entirely separate from Reign of Giants.

Glad to hear the the sanity issue is fixed! Bryce actually just sorted out one more case that would cause the Glommer to stop following you. Hopefully that bug will be fully squashed when we put that fix out.

Ok kool, TY so much. One question though. How would I see that my game is at version 99241?? Not sure where I find that for steam version if the updater is only for stand alone?? It does say current content Build ID : 229371 in the properties, but not sure where it says the version.

• Developer

Ok kool, TY so much. One question though. How would I see that my game is at version 99241?? Not sure where I find that for steam version if the updater is only for stand alone?? It does say current content Build ID : 229371 in the properties, but not sure where it says the version.

If you press Backspace while in game, some debug info will come up on the screen. If you look in the bottom left corner, it will show you the revision number.

A bug that would probablt be hard to find, which accured to acorns before when planting them in ground: you know how when you planted acorns thw small tree moved away for a bit from the place you plant it as if it got dropped by something? Well that bugs ever so often happens when you pick up a pinecone whilst your inventory is full and then plant it; try it for yourselves (this only happens when you chop down a tree and for first time pick up a pinecone. It won't accur if you have already held it in your inventory, then dropped it and filled your inventory with something else).

I'm not sure how to send you error logs but it did pop up on the error screen when the game crashed several times. I have it recorded in this video. I didn't see any hotfixes regarding Bearger but he kept crashing my game. I think it might have been because I was harvesting resources while he was attacking.

Archived