Body temperature meter, please!

We have meters for health, sanity, and hunger, but no meter for body temperature?  This seems like an obvious ommission.  When I played the original game, winter frustrated me because I didn't understand how the various items affected my temperature, and I'd die often.  Eventually I just read the wiki to figure it out.  I suppose players could eventually figure out by experimentation and timing, though even that would be hard because of the ambient temperature changes.

I like the 'wetness' meter in spring, how it only shows up when necessary.  Could we have the same thing for summer and winter please?  The meter should function the same as the other ones, with the large/small directional arrows so that we can figure out how the various articles of clothing, items, and environment affects our temperature without having to resort to the wiki or a mod. 

I do not think it should be part of HUD. Can be craftable item as the compass?

Why not?  As a person you can sense your body temperature, just like you can sense your hunger, sanity, and health.  I don't see any reason to force players to craft something.  There are craftable meters for rain and ambient temperature!

Why not?  As a person you can sense your body temperature, just like you can sense your hunger, sanity, and health.  I don't see any reason to force players to craft something.  There are craftable meters for rain and ambient temperature!

You can't perfectly sense your body temperature though or nobody would have heatstroke. Your character does have idle animations that can indicate how hot you are. And the best part is it all makes sense, because if you're overly busy you might not notice till it's too late.

And all this being said, I think they could do away with the wetness meter, and a hardcore player could just ignore all meters. The reason I like the primary 3 meters is that they do vary between characters. Temperature and wetness are constant though.

Adding a temperature meter would ruin the immersion, don't you think? It's why I like how it doesn't indicate the number of health/sanity/hunger unless you mouse over it. You don't actually need to know for certain, but the variability of those 3 is much greater than say temperature. Temperature you can't keep just barely in check. Either you're keeping it fully under control or you're dying (at least there's a slight warning period before it starts killing you). That's probably the biggest difference IMO.

You can't perfectly sense your body temperature though or nobody would have heatstroke. Your character does have idle animations that can indicate how hot you are. And the best part is it all makes sense, because if you're overly busy you might not notice till it's too late.

And all this being said, I think they could do away with the wetness meter, and a hardcore player could just ignore all meters. The reason I like the primary 3 meters is that they do vary between characters. Temperature and wetness are constant though.

Adding a temperature meter would ruin the immersion, don't you think? It's why I like how it doesn't indicate the number of health/sanity/hunger unless you mouse over it. You don't actually need to know for certain, but the variability of those 3 is much greater than say temperature. Temperature you can't keep just barely in check. Either you're keeping it fully under control or you're dying (at least there's a slight warning period before it starts killing you). That's probably the biggest difference IMO.

You can't perfectly sense your hunger, or sanity, or health either, but we still have meters for those.  I certainly can't sense the difference between being 80% sane and 90% sane :p

I don't see how the temperature meter would ruin any immersion at all.  It would aid in new players figuring out how things affect body temperature.  For instance, right now, you get the big down arrow on your sanity when it's dark, so then a new player learns 'ok, i shouldn't do that'.  And if you wear a top hat, you get the little arrow going up, so then a new player can understand that the top hat improves your sanity.

There is no such meter for body temperature like there is for sanity, so it makes it more difficult to understand your temperature.  It seems like an obvious ommission.  Why get feedback for sanity but not body temperature?  Maybe there's a good reason, but I don't see it personally, and I think the game would be better if it had a body temperature meter.

I just sort of wish that the edges of your screen got gradually more effected by the cold instead of just two levels: slightly cold/hot, then hurting from cold/heat. Or maybe they just add another level or two that doesn't injure you so you can tell how cold/hot you're getting more easily.

That way it doesn't seem so sudden. Super easy fix to the problem without having to add another meter. For example, you'd notice over time that the screen was getting colder until suddenly it starts to injure you. I'm fine with that. You usually can't tell how cold your extremities are once it gets past a certain point of numbness, and that's how people get frostbite. Same for heat. You don't really notice the point where you start having a heat stroke vs when you're just really hot until its too late. But you totally can tell you're either cold or hot and that's a gradual thing.

I just sort of wish that the edges of your screen got gradually more effected by the cold instead of just two levels: slightly cold/hot, then hurting from cold/heat. Or maybe they just add another level or two that doesn't injure you so you can tell how cold/hot you're getting more easily.

That way it doesn't seem so sudden. Super easy fix to the problem without having to add another meter. For example, you'd notice over time that the screen was getting colder until suddenly it starts to injure you. I'm fine with that. You usually can't tell how cold your extremities are once it gets past a certain point of numbness, and that's how people get frostbite. Same for heat. You don't really notice the point where you start having a heat stroke vs when you're just really hot until its too late. But you totally can tell you're either cold or hot and that's a gradual thing.

This would definitely be more helpful, though I think to fit in with the other mechanics they should be consistent, personally, and still have an explicit meter.  Sanity causes artifacts on your screen too, but it still has a meter.

There better be a option to make it not be in Celsius. I wouldnt care if this happened honestly, i would actually like it, but only if we can choose for it to not be in Celsius. I don't feel like there should be any more meters, but this could work. I wouldnt get mad about it if it wasnt added.

Another option would be dot or a small circle in between the actual ui that would turn blue if you feel cold, red if you feel hot and then just fade away at ambient temperature.

post-362951-0-36986700-1396991010.pngpost-362951-0-05653800-1396991035.pngpost-362951-0-77587300-1396991041.png

I would really like a temperature meter.

Yes there are idle that tell you how you feel but you need to stand still and it still doesn’t tell you how far you are from freezing / overheating.

I'm against the idea of a temperature metre in itself, but I like the idea of a vague indication (as Hagenso has provided). We don't know our exact temperatures, but we *do* usually notice if we're hot or cold.

Also, Hagenso's idea makes use of finite screen space.

Did I mention I like Hagenso's Idea?

Cool.

... Because I do.

I think a little help wouldn't hurt, but simply displaying the character's temperature would make it all too easy. A small relative indicator would suffice, e.g. a blue minus sign and a red plus sign to let you know you're in the right direction, similar to the sanity arrows. Hmm... very similar...
The game currently checks if you are in the "right" season, that is, if you are overheating in summer or freezing in winter, and skips the first warning if you aren't, making it easier to receive temperature damage in the "wrong" seasons, which I don't particularly like.

Okay, different idea.

You know that winterometer you can build?

If you build it, they will co... I mean, a temperature indicator appears on your hud.

I got that idea from C&C mechanics.

The winterometer show the outside temperture and not your own.

If you are talking about "always on status" mod yes it show you your temperature. You always see the raw numbers of health, hunger, sanity, heat and naughtiness. I have the mod but i don't use it because it breaks the immersion of the game.

Now why i'm hoping for a temperature meter is that i feel that we get too little warning before freezing. When you see the screen starting to freeze you have to immediate start a fire or you will take damage, except if you have a lot of isolation. The result is that in winter (or in summer) you rarely know if you could still walk for 5 min before freezing or if it will be in the next 30s.

So you are doing stuf untill you start freezing, so you stop, make a fire, warm up and proceed to what you were doing. This feels more like the game tries to enforce the notion of cold and not a natural survival instinct were you sense your body getting colder and colder to a point where you decide to rest and warm up. You do not feel the cold coming, you just get a ice warning at almost random times which makes you stop what you are doing or pay with your health.

That is why there should be a constant and vague feedback of your body temperature. Such as having the screen slowly freezing or my idea that i posted before.

The mod is not the answer, have you ever said "i feel 32°C" ?? most likely not you feel rather hot or very warm.

The game puts an lot of importance on body temperature, at the same time it keeps that information secret only giving you warnings right before its too late.

I would really appreciate a "temperature meter".

I'm not certain but i don't believe that it would be too hard to implement, on a technical standpoint.

I'm pretty sure you can't compare a temperature meter to the ones that are on the game already.

Hunger and Health are basic notions that you need to be aware because you're constantly under their effects. Sanity needed a meter because the numbers on your sanity meter actually affect the world around you, having some stuff that you can only see or get if you are insane, while body temperature only affects you.

Though an item that measures your temperature wouldn't be bad. Summer is a pain in the ass, as soon as you run out of ice you're constantly overheating and it's so hard to tell if anything makes a difference. Shades of trees, hats and umbrellas are suppose to help, but I can't tell any significant effect without an actual visual representation.

Upon using a thermal stone right out of the fridge you can quickly start freezing in highest peak of summer.

I never bothered with only winter, it was part of the challenge not being aware, but summer is too much.

Archived