Summer is Deadly after Respawn

After dying during summer and being resurrected at a Touchstone,

I proceeded to run back to camp but died due to overheating before getting anywhere close.

Some arguments could be made that winter is just as deadly, but In winter a Torch, or Campfire can help you stay alive. (needing sticks, grass, and wood). Even just a torch can be used to set items ablaze to warm you up. But in summer you choice is Endothermic Fire which would require nitre and gold. both of which are harder to locate in a hurry.

One solution might be to make Nightmare fuel consumable to drop your temperature (much like a Spider Gland can be used to heal you) - when a player resurrects at a touchstone in summer they could take the nightmare fuel and be able to use it to cool off long enough to find needed resources or get somewhere safe.

Or maybe an endothermic torch or headwear (like a garland) - that requires nightmare fuel as a component.

I'm not sure what else could be done to alleviate the situation, or even if you would want it done.

Thanks for listening

This has been brought up several times , summer for some reason is several times more dangerous than   any other season,

tba they don't need the heat affect at all , the spontaneous  fires  is more than enough of a  hazard . 

plus the whole endothermic fire mechanic  is rather stupid to be blunt , it is just another fire place , nothing really special about it. 

As it stands summer is basically winter  but with fire ... and way over tuned. 

FFFIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh, sorry, that's not very helpful, is it.

One thing to always keep in mind before making "This is unbalanced" posts is that this is a beta and it should be expected.  As @saltychipmunk said, there have already been threads about this, so the devs know about it.  Still, I do agree that summer is kinda unbalanced.

Just build an ice chest by the touchstones, keep a thermal stone or better yet, ice hat in it.    The chest full of clothes and supplies by each touchstone has always been a good idea.  Leave a few gold an nitre on the ground as well.  Ice chests aren't really that expensive with clockworks the way they are now. 

Personally as an experienced player I find summer to be basically a non-issue.  Much prefer it to winter.  Longer days, and one item to deal with the heat, as opposed to 2-3 items to deal with cold.  Carry rot/ice staff to deal with combustion if necessary.  A newb is definitely going to be in for some harsh reality though, and if they start in fall it'd really suck to die to heat after 60 days or whatever.  So I can see an argument from the newb perspective.

Personally as an experienced player I find summer to be basically a non-issue.  Much prefer it to winter.  Longer days, and one item to deal with the heat, as opposed to 2-3 items to deal with cold.  Carry rot/ice staff to deal with combustion if necessary.  A newb is definitely going to be in for some harsh reality though, and if they start in fall it'd really suck to die to heat after 60 days or whatever.  So I can see an argument from the newb perspective.

LoL - I guess I'm just the opposite, winter gives me no trouble at all.

Summer keeps kicking my butt with burning crops and camps (but as pointed out it is Beta - so this is meant more as feedback about my opinion rather than a complaint)

But the scenario where I died coming back from a touchstone is very true, with one exception. I had activated two touchstones,

so I died trying to get back from the first, and then died again at the second one.

Which was, to say the least, very annoying.

Summer keeps kicking my butt with burning crops and camps (but as pointed out it is Beta - so this is meant more as feedback about my opinion rather than a complaint)

I think a large part of this may be to do with the bug right now where growing crops cannot be extinguished, which I think causes a lot of fires.  And the flinger in general is sort of finicky - I can't tell if it's buggy or intentionally the way it is - and you can't tell it's range till you've already placed it.  So ya, beta issues.   A lot of the rest comes down to base layout I think.  I also do highly recommend a satellite summer base.  Preferably near a touchstone if possible.

The touchstone issue can be prepared for in the form of an ice box with an ice hat, so I don't think it's such a big deal.  Although 3 ice hats is unlikely in a spring start, I'll grant you that.

And I'm not saying you're wrong about anything mind you.  I'm just giving my own experiences, which are different apparenlty.  It's all feedback for klei.

Sounds like that would impact your sanity.

I'd make some more smart comments, but I'm pretty sure I'd be bordering on racism. At any rate, the mud thing would be cool (no pun intended) but I really don't expect it since this is kinda a 'what if a WESTERNER got stuck in a place like this under these conditions' style game. 

Normal ones do - don't drop them to close to a camfire!  I've heard piggybacks don't though I've not been in a situation that tested that.

I meant smolder. Do backpacks smolder. Well, does everything smolder? I've played only a couple seasons in the DLC across different games, but never summer

I meant smolder. Do backpacks smolder. Well, does everything smolder?

Never had that happen, but I don't leave them lying around.  I'd assume so - near as I can tell ANYTHING that can burn will smolder.  Including rabbits, pigs, and chester.

what if it combusts?  DOOOOOMED

when chests combust they merely burn and then afterwards dump their contents on the ground. so the burnables inside are quite safe. but i do agree. the heat after touchstone revive caught me off guard a few times before i learned. haha

Some arguments could be made that winter is just as deadly, but In winter a Torch, or Campfire can help you stay alive. (needing sticks, grass, and wood). Even just a torch can be used to set items ablaze to warm you up. But in summer you choice is Endothermic Fire which would require nitre and gold. both of which are harder to locate in a hurry.

Beside what has already been said (I would personnaly opt for the icebox + icecube near the touchstone and never go near it to avoid wildfires):

I guess you could pre build an endothermic fire/fire pit as soon as you get the necessary ressources. If you ever die and resurrect, then that should give you some time to get back to your base and cool down a bit, provided that your base is not at the other edge of the world in a huge map setting.

Archived