Please keep weather in caves

I just thought it was bad enough when they added the worms.  The weather makes spelunking unreasonable.  New threats should not completely devalue the old unique loot down there.  Even the stone is devalued considering it's now renewable because of the glaciers.  There is no good reason to go down there at all now.  

Oh really? I can't wait to show off this new ruins armor to that dragonfly *Flex*

Oh really? I can't wait to show off this new ruins armor to that dragonfly *Flex*

Taking a step back and looking at all the elaborate/ridiculous rings you need to contort uncomfortably through to make that armor ... which still has durability, just doesn't seem worth it.  It's all about the actions and payoff balancing well together in context. 

*DragonFly's fire breath penetrates armor and does 25 damage per second.

I still have a magical shield anyway.

Taking a step back and looking at all the elaborate/ridiculous rings you need to contort uncomfortably through to make that armor ... which still has durability, just doesn't seem worth it.  It's all about the actions and payoff balancing well together in context. 

I get to play with the new boss drops and be one of the first to kill them, to me it was worthy payoff.

I just thought it was bad enough when they added the worms.  The weather makes spelunking unreasonable.  New threats should not completely devalue the old unique loot down there.  Even the stone is devalued considering it's now renewable because of the glaciers.  There is no good reason to go down there at all now.  

Well the worms have been turned way way down now, so that shouldn't concern you anymore. Glaciers do drop rocks, but waiting for winter to get ~30 - 40 rocks is not something I am willing to do. A lot of us still have reasons for going into the caves and ruins, mine being collecting materials mostly. And in my experience, it has hardly been unreasonable. The worst I had was summer caving without a lantern, but again that could have been avoided and was my own fault/choice. And I still survived, just not as easily.

Well the worms have been turned way way down now, so that shouldn't concern you anymore. Glaciers do drop rocks, but waiting for winter to get ~30 - 40 rocks is not something I am willing to do. A lot of us still have reasons for going into the caves and ruins, mine being collecting materials mostly. And in my experience, it has hardly been unreasonable. The worst I had was summer caving without a lantern, but again that could have been avoided and was my own fault/choice. And I still survived, just not as easily.

I guess it does come down to play style choices, but it still feels like they are just throwing in unnecessary micromanagement with the weather.  Now you need to take even more things down with you to flick on and off your body.  

I guess it does come down to play style choices, but it still feels like they are just throwing in unnecessary micromanagement with the weather.  Now you need to take even more things down with you to flick on and off your body.  

That's the exact problem. Nobody will complain if caves get harder, but please, make them harder in an interesting way, not through inventory juggling.

As I posted, they were not having any new content for underground this DLC, so it is weather or nothing. Maybe in a future DLC that focuses on caves, but I think lazy is an inappropriate description of the choices here.

Then nothing would be better.

Then nothing would be better.

This is what I don't get about why you guys are so adamant about it being removed. It is literally more content or less, so you can have a slider that turns off the content if you want, but don't make us have less content choices because you can't handle it, or don't like it, whichever.

This is what I don't get about why you guys are so adamant about it being removed. It is literally more content or less, so you can have a slider that turns off the content if you want, but don't make us have less content choices because you can't handle it, or don't like it, whichever.

^This.

I can handle it just fine. It is silly content that makes the game less enjoyable. This 'content' is on the level with a new mob that is white box containing the plain text, this is a new mob that will kill you.

Utterly devoid of imagination.

I never complained about the depths worms.

I can handle it just fine. It is silly content that makes the game less enjoyable. This 'content' is on the level with a new mob that is white box containing the plain text, this is a new mob that will kill you.

Utterly devoid of imagination.

I never complained about the depths worms.

I disagree, I feel it makes the game more enjoyable. And your comparison is laughable. Also, I did not mention depth worms.

I disagree, I feel it makes the game more enjoyable. And your comparison is laughable. Also, I did not mention depth worms.

I know you did not mention depths worms. I did because I like a challenging game and there was a big fight on the forums about their difficulty when they were added. I am happy generally when there is more challenge.

I think my comparison is pretty spot on. Completely and utterly laughable, just like precipitation underground.

How about they add above ground earthquakes that cause rocks and gems to fall from the sky. That would add a challenge too. If you don't mind the lack of imagination.

Ohgodmysides.jpg

What's next, are you gonna start comparing him to Hitler now?

What? I don't understand that comment. I would never.

This has to do with my love of don't starve. This is a truly great game with a truly great method of development. I hope people are still playing don't starve many years from now and that there are many more DLC packages.

I want Don't starve and Klie to be very successful. I understand some people like this change, but I feel if I am showing somebody the game and they see it is raining underground the most common reaction is going to be, "ohh.. That's dumb." It is the kind of thing that will make less people want to buy the DLC.

I feel if I am showing somebody the game and they see it is raining underground the most common reaction is going to be, "ohh.. That's dumb." 

So then you say "Well, you have the option to turn it off then." And if they aren't dickheads, they'll say "Oh really! Cool! I might get this DLC then." and you both go on your merry way.

So then you say "Well, you have the option to turn it off then." And if they aren't dickheads, they'll say "Oh really! Cool! I might get this DLC then." and you both go on your merry way.

No need for profanity. Why would somebody think it is cool that it is raining underground?

I am all for a toggle option. Off should be the default state.

if I am showing somebody the game and they see it is raining underground the most common reaction is going to be, "ohh.. That's dumb." It is the kind of thing that will make less people want to buy the DLC.

Well, if you've shown these people deerclops, and the spider queen, and tallbirds, and Wilson with a giant ice block on his head, and being resurrected from a meat-stuffed wooden statue, and pigs wearing football helmets, and crockpots, and clockworks, and nightmares, and THEN they see rain in the caves and they decided 'it's not for them', then honestly there's not much Klei can do for them.  They can go back to knitting or alphabetizing their vcr tapes or editing wikipedia or whatever tame a realistic stuff it is they do for kicks.

Well, if you've shown these people deerclops, and the spider queen, and tallbirds, and Wilson with a giant ice block on his head, and being resurrected from a meat-stuffed wooden statue, and pigs wearing football helmets, and crockpots, and clockworks, and nightmares, and THEN they see rain in the caves and they decided 'it's not for them', then honestly there's not much Klei can do for them.  They can go back to knitting or alphabetizing their vcr tapes or editing wikipedia or whatever tame a realistic stuff it is they do for kicks.

yet again i point you to the lord of the rings example ,  you can have high fantasy  with out throwing away basic things like the laws of physics and weather

by that logic  wilson should clip through walls  because the heat some how is . 

seriously people if there is going to be weather in the caves , then they ARENT CAVES!!!!!!!  they are canyons and should not be dark at all.

It is a MASSIVE turn off for me , massive .  what is the point of the caves if they are just  the top world.  there isnt one  they are meaningless right now. 

All those totally awesome things are in the vanilla game. A person who owns the vanilla game might be less likely to buy the DLC, because it is a huge turn off as saltychipmonk said.

I think it would be quite reasonable for the first level of the caves to have weather effects, because judging by the areas of trees and light, there are openings directly to the surface besides spelunking holes. However i think it is ridiculous to have the weather effects going down to the ruins level. I get that Don't Starve is bursting with whimsicality, but RoG is kind of meant to give more depth and reality to the seasons, rain in caves just doesn't do that. Overheating and cold i could almost understand being part of the caves, but not rain.

I think it would be quite reasonable for the first level of the caves to have weather effects, because judging by the areas of trees and light, there are openings directly to the surface besides spelunking holes. However i think it is ridiculous to have the weather effects going down to the ruins level. I get that Don't Starve is bursting with whimsicality, but RoG is kind of meant to give more depth and reality to the seasons, rain in caves just doesn't do that. Overheating and cold i could almost understand being part of the caves, but not rain.

On this note I would like to agree, although I think the rain should stay in the caves (I like the idea of it seeping through the surface, the fact that it is rain is just a limitation of the way the game is made right now). However, my real suggestion would be to make the ruins exceedingly hot all year, with no cold or rain but I can imagine the outrage. :D

That is just the feeling I get when being down in the ruins is that it is exceedingly claustrophobic and hotter when nightmare cycle starts.

Archived