Caves and ruins are impossible now.

That's actually not what I was saying at all. There is a very big difference between an objective bug report and being rude, insulting the devs, saying they ruined the game, etc.

People have every right to bring up issues. They do not have a right to act like petulant brats.

God bless you, sir/ma'am.

P.S. You kids really like to argue over nothing, huh. This whole debate about mods is a little over the top. If people want to play with mods, let them - the Steam Workshop is full of "God-mode" mods, so I'm not surprised that even beta testers are persisting with them. 

Besides, authenticity means naught in this game - it's not a competitive e-sports game. Obviously some mods reduce the difficulty of the game, but not everyone plays to become the Gosu of Don't Starve~. 

So, let's stop the banter, yus? Good, good. 

Back on track with this one:

The cave challenges are too heavy right now I feel too. No reason to go down there. That is my experience from playing the DLC this beta. So I agree with OP on this.

Problem is that the challenge the  caves now throws at you is EVEN MORE ITEM JUGGLING AND MAKING BARS GO UP/DOWN. That is not Fun in my books, as I think a bit too much is centered around Item Juggling already.

If the devs wanted weather to affect caves (which I doubt, they're probably just  too busy to fix it right now) maybe it should on affect the caves and not the ruins. It would have the trade off of if you want to get away from the weather you have too go somewhere very dangerous to do so, and it would make sense since the first part of the caves seems to be only roughly 4 meters below the surface while the ruins are far far deeper.

The only problem I have with the caves that makes me want to flip out:

Depth Worms. They camp, spawn all the time, annoying to fight, spawn in hound-like hoards too, aggro without me messing with the lure, did way more damage than I was expecting, and the plant thing takes up so much space for something that isn't really useful and drains sanity to eat.

I always hate monkeys, but if I spent more time with them, I am sure I would find something to prevent me from torching their pods.

Depth Worms. They camp, spawn all the time, annoying to fight, spawn in hound-like hoards too, aggro without me messing with the lure, did way more damage than I was expecting, and the plant thing takes up so much space for something that isn't really useful and drains sanity to eat.

Due to the implemented weather in caves, depth worms have been reduced. A certain spawn time/amount has yet to be determined but SethR included it in the "Feet of Strength" notes

Well, in theory the dev's idea made sense here, but it clearly wasn't a good one nonetheless. I say, let us skip seasons in caves, the caves are just as hard to deal with as the seasons are anyways. I'm really hoping that this gets changed, as I actually intended to go venture in the caves a bit more, but now have lost every intend to once again.

Here's how I personally think it should go:

Rain would affect the caves, but very slightly. Heavy rain would be the only precipitation that would affect all of the caves, and only showing itself in a slight drip here and there. In and only in skylights, the rain would continue as normal.

Temperature would also be different in caves, only being drastically affected when its cold outside, and barely being affected at all when its warm outside.

Imo it is possible to do caves&ruins in any season except winter. In summer go to caves with an ice cube on head for cooling and a lamp for light. When there would be fight just drop a lamp on a ground and do your dirty work. I personally go to caves that way:

Summer:

Head slot: ice cube on head, football helmet in inventory ready to be switched if necessairy, and mining hat for good mesure.

Body slot: backpack (I never use an armour cause kiting and head slot armour is good enough)

Hand:       lamp, and some hand weapon for fight (just drop a lamp on a ground, switch weapon and kill)

Optional: green mushrooms for sanity regains or top hat to cycle with ice cube. 

If you want to go underground in spring just take an umbrella, and with tpo hat your sanity will be ok, also wyou won't soak.

Hope it helps :)

I also agree on the weather affecting the caves being a bit over the top. I would get it if rained down there during spring due to the snow melting, but spontaneously combusting underground kind of ruins the experience for me.

Spontaneously combusting anywhere outside of lava could be overdoing it.  I'm still surprised that there's no lava, ever, in the caves.  Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough.   ;)

They said they might add something like that in the future, but right now there is no lava anywhere in the game.

I think there should be a lore-friendly reason to support the weather in caves. For example, maybe the core of Don't Starve's world is nightmarish-insanity instead of magma. So instead of caves being heated by magma, they are "insanified" by nightmare-flows from the core. I don't know if anyone else cares about this kind of thing, but I like how the world has its own lore. Like how an ancient civilization collapsed from using too much nightmare fuel, and that's where the ruins came from.

This background is awesome. We can add cave-3 or another scene, players can build a special machine and set it on the big crevice on cave-2's ground. Through that crevice, we can get to the core of this world and find the place where the shadow creatures live and reproduce.

(And here i just made up a short stories, i want to make a new thread and i will mention ur name for inspiring me. It's that OK? ok, i can't wait, i'm exicited and i'll post it after i finish it.)

Here it is:

Shadow creatures had been created by the ancient magicians using the dark force from core of the world, the core is a big round nightmarish metal that evaporates numerous nightmare steam, And the ancient civilization find it so powerful and want to use this power to conquer the universe.

They had built several huge undergound base, three storeys,and we called them caves now.

Cave-1 was used as a living community, ancient people raised rabbit , big snails for meat and used light form ground and fluorescent plants to grow some vegetation.There was few guards, they only used some kind of biological tech and created tentacles for fence.

Cave-2 was for experiments ,there were lots of experiment animals, magicians and guards/army there.

The cave-2 was very important. The ancient country sent soudiers equiped with armors and weapons made of thulecite, a metirial called unbreakable metal and insulation form any magic power.A large number of auto-magi-mechanical artificial guards were there to asist them. They built magical tower with powerful magic to control the nightmare meterial and protect people from the dark force. Now we call them ancient tab.

Magicans tried to combine the nightmare metirial with simple soul of the animals. They mainly used spiders, monkeys and eels.

The crevices on cave-2 were mainly use for transport between cave-2 and cave-3.

They can get nightmare fules from cave-3 for experiments.  

But most of time, machines there exracted the animals souls and then transported to cave-3.

Cave-3 is a big factories. The great ancient magicians extract nightmare matirial from the core by a legendary machine built by them and automatically  created those shadow creatures.

The shadow creatures were kept in cave-3 as a secret army.

The machine is also surppoted by nightmare fule.

But however, oneday, some soul pieces accidentally fell out of the machine pipe and united the dark force of the core into a whole, it generated a weak self-consciousness and begain to instinctly eat souls from the machine to make itself stronger.

It was not a long time before it got strong enough and sucessfully ate a magican's soul in cave-3, which was considered an accident by other people. 

So, the next plot is easy to guess, the Core came out of the curtain and quickly controled the shadow army. A war was on!

Finally, magicans sucessfully prisoned the Core in this island, in cave-3, cut him out of the darkforce of the world's core, and fixed every crevice between cave-2 to cave-3 and blocked the main passage with a big thulecite boulder. But the country paid a lot,  99% of people and were killed by the shadow creatures.The few rest of them left the island and blocked all the caves with big boulders.

However, the magical prison became weak as times passed by, and undergroud earthquakes created new crevices. The Core wanted to break out, he was powerless with all those magical shackles, and his army were now not as strong as before. So he came up with an idea, the prison was not that difficult to break from outside, he needed a person with some gifts. He would control that person and waited for the right timing to break the prison.

But man's life is short, he kept catching people ,testing them and then marked those qualified and then controled them after the current one had died.

Now, the current guy's name is Maxwell.

Archived