Spring and deserts, not exactly a good match

It is rather silly having a desert that gets rain on an almost daily basis for 1/4 of the year does it not? I mean the poor cacti have no idea what to do with all of this extra hydration. Is there a way you could block off precipitation to just this biome and fix the issue? Or is it all a part of Maxwell's crazy messed up world?

It is rather silly having a desert that gets rain on an almost daily basis for 1/4 of the year does it not? I mean the poor cacti have no idea what to do with all of this extra hydration. Is there a way you could block off precipitation to just this biome and fix the issue? Or is it all a part of Maxwell's crazy messed up world?

rain can actually happen a lot in deserts, it just doesnt do much because of all the sand

rain can actually happen a lot in deserts, it just doesnt do much because of all the sand

Precipitation isn't an event that cannot occur in a desert, I know that. But it doesn't rain daily in the desert, maybe a few times a year, decade or even century in some extreme cases. The point is precipitation is still very rare in deserts.

Precipitation isn't an event that cannot occur in a desert, I know that. But it doesn't rain daily in the desert, maybe a few times a year, decade or even century in some extreme cases. The point is precipitation is still very rare in deserts.

Depends on the desert- considering the desert in dont starve seems more like a steppe where it can rain just as much as anywhere else

Depends on the desert- considering the desert in dont starve seems more like a steppe where it can rain just as much as anywhere else

steppes aren't true deserts silly, but lets stop arguing about biomes, it is hopeless.

steppes aren't true deserts silly, but lets stop arguing about biomes, it is hopeless.

I never said they were true deserts, its just a sub type that tends to have forests and even grasslands near them, like the ones in dont starve

while from a common sense point of view having the deserts remain dry would make sense. 

but it would break the main mechanic of the seasons, because people would would move to deserts to avoid rain/snow. avoiding things completely is not the point of the game. hence why you get get hot and rained upon in caves too. 

I'd have to say I disagree. One, that would provide a very easy way to avoid the difficulties of seasons. Two, if there is one thing that destroys my immersion in games is being able to take a step into an area and have it be freezing cold and taking a step out and being in a hot desert. That would just destroy all the atmosphere and immersion the game has got going for it thanks to all the new seasons.

I'd have to say I disagree. One, that would provide a very easy way to avoid the difficulties of seasons. Two, if there is one thing that destroys my immersion in games is being able to take a step into an area and have it be freezing cold and taking a step out and being in a hot desert. That would just destroy all the atmosphere and immersion the game has got going for it thanks to all the new seasons.

A thing that could happen is biomes slowly changing so there's not a forest next to a savanna all of a sudden.

Savanna could lead to desert, Plains to forest etc. Rain would be heavier in forests, plains and swamps than in savannas and deserts. 

Also deserts and savanna could have more/heavier heatwaves.

Temperature change was something I was/am totally good with because there are circumpolar deserts which are quite cold, the precipitation was all that I had an issue with.

A thing that could happen is biomes slowly changing so there's not a forest next to a savanna all of a sudden.

Savanna could lead to desert, Plains to forest etc. Rain would be heavier in forests, plains and swamps than in savannas and deserts. 

Also deserts and savanna could have more/heavier heatwaves.

from what I've seen this does kind of happen. the only tree areas near the deserts are small forests or ones that build up to a dense forest. much of the time i've been seeing the autumn leaf biome near a desert. the one world I am currently immersed in has just this, forest to savannah to desert with a patch here and there of small grass to patches of forest. 

from what I've seen this does kind of happen. the only tree areas near the deserts are small forests or ones that build up to a dense forest. much of the time i've been seeing the autumn leaf biome near a desert. the one world I am currently immersed in has just this, forest to savannah to desert with a patch here and there of small grass to patches of forest. 

Well, my world has a desert with a small chunk of a 'autumn' biome and a plain right next to it...

No, rain doesn't happen in deserts because all the precipitation is usually deposited in nearby mountains or other areas. In the real world, Antarctica is considered a "desert" because it rarely snows or rains there, any snow that is in the air is kicked up by winds. Sand has nothing to do with why it doesn't rain, in fact, the reason there is sand is BECAUSE it doesn't rain. No water means the earth dries up and becomes brittle and sandy.

Archived