Interesting animals. (Suggestion)

Battal

Opinions.  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the standard animals?

• I like it!
    • It's good, but it needs a few tweaks.
    • Meh.
    • I don't really like it.
    • I hate it very, very much.
  2. 2. What do you think about Merm/Pig Relationships?

• I like it!
    • Meh.
  3. 3. What do you think about Hostile Creatures?

• I like it!
    • Meh.

With the new DLC, I though I mighteswell make a suggestion.  Yeah, its not lava caves/lava biomes/lava birds.  Deal with it.

My idea is quite simple.  Improve general animal AI.  Not that its bad, but make it seem more dynamic. 

Standard animals

If a rabbits hole is dug up, and the rabbit avoids death, it will relocate and make a new hole.

Birds will occasionally make nests on the ground.  These can be harvested for eggs, but if left in the nest too long, they will hatch, spawning a new bird.  An empty birds nest will rot in about three days.

Pigs will expand their villages naturally, as in maybe one house per ten days.  Of course, there will be a limit to this.  Pigs will also be found making pilgrimages to the Pig Capitol (Town with pig king).  After the full moon, any pigs that were Werepigs at night are burned alive at a campfire.  The campfire will stay alight for the time of a fully lit campfire, then it will go out until the pigs re-light it for the next sacrifice.

Merm/Pig Relationships

We have already seen signs of war between Merms and Pigs, given the heads on spikes around the map.  So why not make these two races battle it out?  Very, very occasionally, a horde of Merms will attack random pig houses on the map.  Even ones you've built.  If the pig(s) kill the merms, the siege ends.  If the pig(s) die, the merms destroy their houses.  Of course, it can happen the other way around. This would add more dynamicness to the world - imagine heading to the local pig village to find everyone dead...

Merms will occasionally send embassies to the Pig Capitol.  They can be recognized in that they carry a small, dingy white flag everywhere.  Pigs will not attack this Merm, and this Merm will not attack pigs.  He will walk to the Pig King and hold council with him, maybe giving offerings and the like.   After the meeting is over, there is a 50% chance that the merm will be executed.  Otherwise, he will go back to the main Merm village.

Hostile Creatures

Yeah, you knew something about Krampus would be on here.  The current naughtiness summon number is 30.  I say it should be 20.  Each time Krampus is summoned, that number goes down by one.  If you are 100% nice for 10 days afterwards, it regenerates by one.  The max is 40.  As for Krampus himself, make him just run around smashing things non-stop.  Make him being there an actual panic instead of him only arriving when you purposely summon him.

Oh, no!  Deerclops is here!  I'll just herd him into these beefalo and kill him instantly.  The point is, Deerclops gets quite easy after a while.  So here's my suggestion - everything runs away from him.  Its pretty simple, but it makes the one-eyed wonder a hell of a lot harder to fight.  Maybe he even breaks tooth traps.

I'll expand this soon.

I love the first two, makes the world feel more realistic.

On the pigs, make it so they can't expand out of the village border, as in the green field area. It would make a good limit, and gives more than enough room to expand. Also make the pigs traveling between villages the warrior pigs, from the torches, since they're always shouting about the king.

Also a small additional idea... Make the pigs care about their farms, as in trying to protect against gobblers and possibly the player. It would be pretty nice if they regrew their carrot and flower farms if picked, but not too often.

I like the Idea of pigs expanding their villages, and the area constraint of their grass area, but I think it would be even better if by removing trees in the surrounding area and replacing the forest turf with grass turf then they would continue expansion, give our ability to move turf a meaning.

I'm not sure how that sacrifice concept is going to work. Maybe a bit too cruel for my tastes. I'm all about the animal ideas and the pilgrimage in general though, that just would add to the world.

A few more ideas for the pigs.... I'd say that if a war between merms and pigs is going on (which I really want to happen too, that's one idea that should be expanded upon no matter what), the pigs should be able to attack the merm's huts too. Would just be unfair otherwise. Another possibility would be to have them battle it out on an open field, and then the winning party eats the remains of the other.

And about village expansions: I think instead of just continually building more pig houses, it should stick to a certain limit of houses, and then instead improve the village with more features. Construct a wall around it, add cobblestone roads, and make some proper farms that they actually do harvest and such. And the village around the pig king will get the best features, stone walls and everything, making it feel more like a sort of capital.

I'm not sure how that sacrifice concept is going to work. Maybe a bit too cruel for my tastes. I'm all about the animal ideas and the pilgrimage in general though, that just would add to the world.

Would you want a dangerous werepig in your village?  Hm?  ANSWER ME!

A few more ideas for the pigs.... I'd say that if a war between merms and pigs is going on (which I really want to happen too, that's one idea that should be expanded upon no matter what), the pigs should be able to attack the merm's huts too. Would just be unfair otherwise. Another possibility would be to have them battle it out on an open field, and then the winning party eats the remains of the other.

I was originally going to add that, but I forgot.  :p

And about village expansions: I think instead of just continually building more pig houses, it should stick to a certain limit of houses, and then instead improve the village with more features. Construct a wall around it, add cobblestone roads, and make some proper farms that they actually do harvest and such. And the village around the pig king will get the best features, stone walls and everything, making it feel more like a sort of capital.

I did say that the expansion would be limited.  But these are some cool ideas.

I personally disagree and think that the sacrifice of werepigs is an absolute necessity.

I do love your Ideas about the merm/pig war and about the expansion of pig villages. A more developed pig culture is definitely something that I want. I think the sacrifice would add to this as would pilgrimages to the pig kings village. i like the idea of the pigs constantly working on their villages, it would just make them feel so much more alive.

I don't like the sacrifice idea. All pigs are werepigs, them burning one of their own seems suspect.

I'm not sold on the ambassador idea either. What's the point of it? If it doesn't achieve anything and just dies occasionally it's kind of useless.

Everything else sounds good though. I'd like to see some spider/pig wars as well, and maybe merm/tentacles on the side, if the merms and pigs are too far apart they'd naturally prefer to fight a closer enemy.

I don't like the sacrifice idea. All pigs are werepigs, them burning one of their own seems suspect.

I'm not sold on the ambassador idea either. What's the point of it? If it doesn't achieve anything and just dies occasionally it's kind of useless.

Everything else sounds good though. I'd like to see some spider/pig wars as well, and maybe merm/tentacles on the side, if the merms and pigs are too far apart they'd naturally prefer to fight a closer enemy.

The ambassador thing is just there to add a bit of interaction between Pigs and Merms.  If they're warring race, they should damn well act like it.

What needs to happen is the option to pick a side. Be friendly to merms, OR the pigs. Give some fish to the merm leader, which also needs to be a thing, or give some meat to the pig king. Maybe give some of the artifacts instead. You could then help here and there in the war and convert the huts from pig to more, or vice versa. That should be a world option to have a war or not, as it may be displeasing to have to put up with/join a war you have ended numerous times.

Rabbits - I really think the design of rabbits and their holes are very similar to mushrooms; you're destroying the node, a node that could potentially give you infinite of that resource, in an effort to get that resource now. It's giving you the option to be shortsighted, and the devs want you to make some shortsighted decisions during the learning process. I mean sure they could have mushroom nodes give out spores when burnt to a crisp or seeds for saplings and berry bushes after a catastrophic forest fire so you can replant what was lost, but they didn't. They deliberately didn't. That aspect of the forest is gone forever, and that's what they want.

Birds - The design of birds are to be a resource that's constantly taunting you. Tallbird nests have those tempting eggs, but then there's the tallbird guarding it. Pengulls have eggs, but then you have to deal with the whole pack of them to get at them. Even the standard birds are supposed to give beginning players that frustrated feeling of having such a tempting food source that's constantly just out of arm's reach. It's only after you've outsmarted them that you gain their awesome resources. I see just having random bird nests on the ground for players to just harvest being antithetical to the design of birds thus far.

Pigs - Having pigs build an additional pig house in the villages does make sense. Maxwell did say that was like their only trick. Also having the pigs walk along the roads to the other pig villages would just make the world feel more lively as well. I'm not sure I like the idea of pigs destroying each other on their own, but how about the idea of pigs taking fallen merms and constructing additional merm heads on sticks and vice versa?

Merms vs. Pigs - I don't like the idea of the houses being destroyed by either faction, but I do like the idea of pigs and merms being in open warfare. I'd also like a way to change sides. Maybe have a merm king and if you offer enough things to him, the option to make pig houses is replaced with the option to make merm houses and now pigs are hostile when you get to close to their houses instead of the merms. Then again, that sounds like a programming nightmare. How about just make the likelihood of a merm infested swamp being really close quarters to a pig village so the odds of them fighting is increased?

Krampus - I think players should get a visit from Krampus every winter by default.

Speaking of Krampus, I still think Krampus's sack needs a buff. Either that drop rate needs to be increased or some means ought to be implemented to craft the sack. My reasoning is this: If I've proven I can kill him 10 times, can't we just remove the tedium of the continued summoning and farming? I've already proven I can kill him. It's already a virtual certainty that if I continued to kill him I'd eventually get the sack, so why not spare me the time? I mean if just simply summoning and killing Krampus isn't enough, then how about needing resources from the ruins to do it as well? Think of the animals Klei. Do you know how many rabbits and snowbirds that have to be tortured and sacrificed upon the altar of Krampus just to summon said Krampus? Did you ever consider how many baby rabbits and baby birdies that got dead parents for christmas that winter because you didn't give me the means to craft that sack? You made me do it. You drove my hand, Klei.

In-depth musings

Has anyone taken the time to tell you that your posts are fantastic? It's stuff like this that drew me to these forums in the first place. You did an exemplary job of explaining your thought process and highlighting specific aspects of the game to back up your points. I wish I had more to say than just "that was an excellent post" but damn, that was an excellent post!

Archived