Interesting animals. (Suggestion)

Battal

Opinions.  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the standard animals?

• I like it!
    • It's good, but it needs a few tweaks.
    • Meh.
    • I don't really like it.
    • I hate it very, very much.
  2. 2. What do you think about Merm/Pig Relationships?

• I like it!
    • Meh.
  3. 3. What do you think about Hostile Creatures?

• I like it!
    • Meh.

Speaking of Krampus, I still think Krampus's sack needs a buff. Either that drop rate needs to be increased or some means ought to be implemented to craft the sack. My reasoning is this: If I've proven I can kill him 10 times, can't we just remove the tedium of the continued summoning and farming? I've already proven I can kill him. It's already a virtual certainty that if I continued to kill him I'd eventually get the sack, so why not spare me the time? I mean if just simply summoning and killing Krampus isn't enough, then how about needing resources from the ruins to do it as well? Think of the animals Klei. Do you know how many rabbits and snowbirds that have to be tortured and sacrificed upon the altar of Krampus just to summon said Krampus? Did you ever consider how many baby rabbits and baby birdies that got dead parents for christmas that winter because you didn't give me the means to craft that sack? You made me do it. You drove my hand, Klei.

I don't think the sack should be craftable, because then it really wouldn't be "Krampus's" sack anymore. But that ridicolously low drop rate kept me away from dealing with that guy in the first place. So yeah, I think it should be increased to something more reasonable.

I say we need the factor of ''vermin'' (crow, rabbits) interfering with the farming.

Crows in the early states, rabbits when the crops are grown.

It is logical and would add the kind of system which is kinda in the ''possibility'' room since the farming was included. It would make the task to dig up rabbitholes usefull, also traps for the birds and perhaps implementing the scarecrow, many of us want since we saw the artwork.

It would be an add to the difficulty, so perhaps the option to toggle it off should be provided. But that would be something I really would like. It is possilby too great of a change...but still

I say we need the factor of ''vermin'' (crow, rabbits) interfering with the farming.

Crows in the early states, rabbits when the crops are grown.

It is logical and would add the kind of system which is kinda in the ''possibility'' room since the farming was included. It would make the task to dig up rabbitholes usefull, also traps for the birds and perhaps implementing the scarecrow, many of us want since we saw the artwork.

It would be an add to the difficulty, so perhaps the option to toggle it off should be provided. But that would be something I really would like. It is possilby too great of a change...but still

That's actually a great idea, and a good countermeasure to those twenty farm plots filled with dragonfruit you eventually get.

Nice ideas Battal

but i would love to see Pigs increasing their houses after 40 days, meaning they live together with a pig wife and childs and such.I mean, it doesn't makes sense its coming out a new pig after the house owner was killed.

I also would love to see Hounds and Spiders attacking your Meat effigy and plundering your Jerky from the Drying rack.

Nice ideas Battal

but i would love to see Pigs increasing their houses after 40 days, meaning they live together with a pig wife and childs and such.I mean, it doesn't makes sense its coming out a new pig after the house owner was killed.

I also would love to see Hounds and Spiders attacking your Meat effigy and plundering your Jerky from the Drying rack.

Wait, they come in FEMALE form too?!

*Shudders thinking some of them may have been female looking like that*

• Developer

My idea is quite simple.  Improve general animal AI.  Not that its good already, but make it seem more dynamic. 

Something we've really focused on is making new creatures interact with the world. The new creatures do stuff like forage for food, seek out and kill prey, or gather materials. We try not to craft behaviours with specific scenarios in mind. Rather, we try to make each creature interact with the environment in it's own way, and the interactions that come from those behaviours make the world feel alive.

Yeah, you knew something about Krampus would be on here.  The current naughtiness summon number is 30.  I say it should be 20.  Each time Krampus is summoned, that number goes down by one.  If you are 100% nice for 10 days afterwards, it regenerates by one.  The max is 40.  As for Krampus himself, make him just run around smashing things non-stop.  Make him being there an actual panic instead of him only arriving when you purposely summon him.

Speaking of Krampus, I still think Krampus's sack needs a buff. Either that drop rate needs to be increased or some means ought to be implemented to craft the sack. My reasoning is this: If I've proven I can kill him 10 times, can't we just remove the tedium of the continued summoning and farming? I've already proven I can kill him. It's already a virtual certainty that if I continued to kill him I'd eventually get the sack, so why not spare me the time? I mean if just simply summoning and killing Krampus isn't enough, then how about needing resources from the ruins to do it as well? Think of the animals Klei. Do you know how many rabbits and snowbirds that have to be tortured and sacrificed upon the altar of Krampus just to summon said Krampus? Did you ever consider how many baby rabbits and baby birdies that got dead parents for christmas that winter because you didn't give me the means to craft that sack? You made me do it. You drove my hand, Klei.

The Krampus sack is difficult to obtain. You're not supposed to get it. You're not even supposed to know you can get it, but word spreads fast around the internet. It's supposed to be a nice surprising and incredible reward that you didn't see coming. Sadly it's treated as a grind by most players which is something we never intended.

That said, we are adding Krampus to the world customization options. It will make it easier to summon him, and you can even get multiple Krampus showing up at once in the higher difficulty options. We're also planning on adding an item - maybe a craftable or a drop - that gives a large amount of naughtiness on use, allowing you to summon Krampus on demand.

Don't be silly! What possibly could a Female Merm...

UrsulaTheLittleMermaid.jpg

Oh god, the reproductive images...in my brain!

*looks for tools for a self-lobotomy*

...I don't want a mental image of that thing reproducing...at all. Ever. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go sob quietly in the corner because I cannot unsee what I have witnessed.

The Krampus sack is difficult to obtain. You're not supposed to get it. You're not even supposed to know you can get it, but word spreads fast around the internet. It's supposed to be a nice surprising and incredible reward that you didn't see coming. Sadly it's treated as a grind by most players which is something we never intended.

That said, we are adding Krampus to the world customization options. It will make it easier to summon him, and you can even get multiple Krampus showing up at once in the higher difficulty options. We're also planning on adding an item - maybe a craftable or a drop - that gives a large amount of naughtiness on use, allowing you to summon Krampus on demand.

I'm very grateful for the response Bryce, thank you. :grin:

I completely see what you mean when the Krampus sack is supposed to be a nice surprise, but I'm not so sure the changes you propose solves the problem of players treating the endeavor as a grind because it doesn't address the reason why players are willing to grind it out.

Compare, for example, how there's no real call for butter from butterflies to drop more often. No one, at least none that I've seen, is arguing for butter to be craftable or creatable either. I mean butter is a nice surprise too, so wouldn't it stand to reason that there's a large swath of the player base actively farming it? Yet there really isn't. Why would there be this difference? Because one item significantly impacts the feel of the game and the other doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I fully acknowledge completionists exist and are willing to go to any extent to fully experience everything the game has to offer -- cue accomploshrine -- but it's a certainty that the Krampus sack has caught more attention than just that demographic of players. I mean with butter, or waffles for that matter, I have enough reasonable commonly found alternatives so that butter doesn't significantly impact game feel. There is no alternative that comes close to the game feel of using the krampus sack. It doesn't help either that the krampus sack itself is, arguably, the best body slot item in the game not just among the backpack and piggyback, and it beats it's alternatives by a significant margin.

There's nothing wrong with the Krampus sack being a marginally superior item, but when the next best thing carries with it a 20% speed debuff, you've given heavy incentive to either do without those extra slots and default back to a backpack, or reach for the stars and the nearest rabbit to murder in your item bar.

I completely appreciate efforts to make Krampus' appearance a more frequent thing, and I do like the changes you've proposed, the naughtiness item has actually caught a lot of my interest, but if the goal of the dev team is to get players out of the mindset of grinding the item, I'm not so confident this will do the trick.

Thanks again for the response, and thanks again to all the members on the Klei team willing to read and give feedback to their playerbase. :-)

Something we've really focused on is making new creatures interact with the world. The new creatures do stuff like forage for food, seek out and kill prey, or gather materials. We try not to craft behaviours with specific scenarios in mind. Rather, we try to make each creature interact with the environment in it's own way, and the interactions that come from those behaviours make the world feel alive.

Yikes, I made a really bad typo on that part.  I meant to say, "Not that its bad."  Sorry about that.  :/

I'm very grateful for the response Bryce, thank you. :grin:

I completely see what you mean when the Krampus sack is supposed to be a nice surprise, but I'm not so sure the changes you propose solves the problem of players treating the endeavor as a grind because it doesn't address the reason why players are willing to grind it out.

Compare, for example, how there's no real call for butter from butterflies to drop more often. No one, at least none that I've seen, is arguing for butter to be craftable or creatable either. I mean butter is a nice surprise too, so wouldn't it stand to reason that there's a large swath of the player base actively farming it? Yet there really isn't. Why would there be this difference? Because one item significantly impacts the feel of the game and the other doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I fully acknowledge completionists exist and are willing to go to any extent to fully experience everything the game has to offer -- cue accomploshrine -- but it's a certainty that the Krampus sack has caught more attention than just that demographic of players. I mean with butter, or waffles for that matter, I have enough reasonable commonly found alternatives so that butter doesn't significantly impact game feel. There is no alternative that comes close to the game feel of using the krampus sack. It doesn't help either that the krampus sack itself is, arguably, the best body slot item in the game not just among the backpack and piggyback, and it beats it's alternatives by a significant margin.

There's nothing wrong with the Krampus sack being a marginally superior item, but when the next best thing carries with it a 20% speed debuff, you've given heavy incentive to either do without those extra slots and default back to a backpack, or reach for the stars and the nearest rabbit to murder in your item bar.

I completely appreciate efforts to make Krampus' appearance a more frequent thing, and I do like the changes you've proposed, the naughtiness item has actually caught a lot of my interest, but if the goal of the dev team is to get players out of the mindset of grinding the item, I'm not so confident this will do the trick.

Thanks again for the response, and thanks again to all the members on the Klei team willing to read and give feedback to their playerbase. :-)

Hmmph. I assumed once we got our bee farm up and other big things taken care of, we use butterflies both for Butter and Naughtiness farming, but I can't use my playing as a barometer always. 

Archived