[HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE] (Mod Collab) Waverly, the bewitched

This is what I could do with what little time I had. Feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated, I think the wand needs to be moved a bit. And I'm sorry that the quality could not be kept, but the atlases that I have to use simply don't give me the possibility...

Sorry for the big file, it contains all assets so far.

could anybody trying post screenshots plz?? I don't have time for playing atm, will play as soon as I can...

And I'm sorry that the quality could not be kept, but the atlases that I have to use simply don't give me the possibility...

Meaning that the atlases we gave you are low quality or that the ones you use need to be in lower quality??

Meaning that the atlases we gave you are low quality or that the ones you use need to be in lower quality??

Meaning the images you gave me are to high quality. I scaled them down for now but I'll show you screenshots in about two hours and you can tell me if you want to create lower quality versions or if we keep them.

Is the image size same for the ground image and the hand image?? and could you tell me the dimensions for the rescaled image??

If I knew how to implement our own swap-animations with spriter (help me Cheerio, please  T.T) I'll have to use the staff atlas. And one staff has a resolution of 35*80  : /  Tiny...  The ground images are, apart from compression through Kleis compilers, the original quality.

• Developer

If I knew how to implement our own swap-animations with spriter (help me Cheerio, please  T.T) I'll have to use the staff atlas. And one staff has a resolution of 35*80  : /  Tiny...  The ground images are, apart from compression through Kleis compilers, the original quality.

Sorry, you'll have to catch me up.  Do you want to swap animations on a character or on an item? :)

Sorry, you'll have to catch me up.  Do you want to swap animations on a character or on an item? :-)

I want to swap a symbol of the character aimations. Like it's done for every equippable item. In this case we have a wand (see post above you) and I'd like to create the "swap_wand.zip" with Spriter to have a better control of the quality. So my question would be how to setup up the spriter-file so that the compiler will output will be usable with:

inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_wand", "swap_wand")

• Developer

I want to swap a symbol of the character aimations. Like it's done for every equippable item. In this case we have a wand (see post above you) and I'd like to create the "swap_wand.zip" with Spriter to have a better control of the quality. So my question would be how to setup up the spriter-file so that the compiler will output will be usable with:

inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_object", "swap_wand", "swap_wand")

The names of the folders in the palette on the right side are the names of the symbols so if you name that folder 'swap_wand' and load the asset and all that jazz and then call 'OverrideSymbol', it should all work.  If it doesn't, upload a copy of your mod to the forum and I'll figure out what's going on.

The names of the folders in the palette on the right side are the names of the symbols so if you name that folder 'swap_wand' and load the asset and all that jazz and then call 'OverrideSymbol', it should all work.  If it doesn't, upload a copy of your mod to the forum and I'll figure out what's going on.

Here's the whole mod and here's only the prefab with its animations in question. I might have done something stupid, sorry if that's the case.

So the image must be in a single piece? We couldn't have a swap_item made of, say, three segments? Each segment a separate png in spriter? Or would the segments be okay if they're all in a swap_item subfolder together?

And how do we align it with the player's hand?

Is it possible to get some sort of template, or something?

• Developer

So the image must be in a single piece? We couldn't have a swap_item made of, say, three segments? Each segment a separate png in spriter? Or would the segments be okay if they're all in a swap_item subfolder together?

And how do we align it with the player's hand?

Is it possible to get some sort of template, or something?

I think the template will be this mod if we can get it working :).  Basically I've kept the concept of symbols to be pretty similar between Spriter and Flash so all the same concepts and code should transfer over pretty easily but noone has tried it until now.  I'll take a look at what's going on.

(im gonna double post since the forum seems to be acting weird for me right now)

It'd be easier in Flash since you can draw and animate in the same place, do the necessary tweaks and such. The weeping willow now looks a lot less smoother and looks clearly segmented, i'd fix it but i'm really busy with stuff right now.

Also, i took a scary spooky screenshot. 

4RbgQ.png

I wish the animation-making had more options, there's no free deform and Spriter tends to do weird things since it's in beta.

I had planned for the willow to do something similar to the evergreen's animations.

Actually, free deform is coming in the next beta version. If you're referring to the unusual deformation when scaling bones... well... that's another issue. And a really annoying one. there are ways around it, though.

I've discovered a lot about spriter, so I'll have to do another demo when I have more time.

(im gonna double post since the forum seems to be acting weird for me right now)

It'd be easier in Flash since you can draw and animate in the same place, do the necessary tweaks and such. The weeping willow now looks a lot less smoother and looks clearly segmented, i'd fix it but i'm really busy with stuff right now.

Also, i took a scary spooky screenshot. 

4RbgQ.png

that should be one of the preview screenshots!

Geez, I totally forgot about those pumpkins... Now I had to quickly add them, they spawn at dusk and despawn in the morning. I made them not pickable for balancing, is it okay like this?

@KidneyBeanBoy Would you be up to write some strings for the "burnt", "burning" and "stump" states of the weeping willow?

And I also played around with a program for the first time and created some sounds fo Waverly. Check it out and tell me what you think. Since it's really more an experiment than anything else I can totally understand if you turn them down ^^

@TheDanaAddams I don't know if that's relevent for your workflow, but we found a "bug" with spriter which is really only relevent for Don't Starve. When you delete any files in your project folder spriter will be fine with it, but it will actually continue to reference those files in your saved project. As a user oyu cannot see that though, only if you open the file in a text editor. But the compiler will search for those images to create the atlas and will thus never be able to compile.

Same goes for useless files. Spriter indexes every file, no matter if it's an image or not, and will not show the user. But the compiler will simply crash without an error.

Just wanted to tell you that so. Try to not delete an files  ; )  If it's to late for that you can simply delete the bad files by hand in a text editor but you need to have finished your work by then since reopening the fixed file in spriter will readjust the indices and screw up all animations.

• Developer

Geez, I totally forgot about those pumpkins... Now I had to quickly add them, they spawn at dusk and despawn in the morning. I made them not pickable for balancing, is it okay like this?

@KidneyBeanBoy Would you be up to write some strings for the "burnt", "burning" and "stump" states of the weeping willow?

And I also played around with a program for the first time and created some sounds fo Waverly. Check it out and tell me what you think. Since it's really more an experiment than anything else I can totally understand if you turn them down ^^

@TheDanaAddams I don't know if that's relevent for your workflow, but we found a "bug" with spriter which is really only relevent for Don't Starve. When you delete any files in your project folder spriter will be fine with it, but it will actually continue to reference those files in your saved project. As a user oyu cannot see that though, only if you open the file in a text editor. But the compiler will search for those images to create the atlas and will thus never be able to compile.

Same goes for useless files. Spriter indexes every file, no matter if it's an image or not, and will not show the user. But the compiler will simply crash without an error.

Just wanted to tell you that so. Try to not delete an files  ; )  If it's to late for that you can simply delete the bad files by hand in a text editor but you need to have finished your work by then since reopening the fixed file in spriter will readjust the indices and screw up all animations.

Might I suggest contacting Spriter about the bug?  I've done it but if more people bring it up, it probably has a better chance of getting fixed :).  

http://www.brashmonkey.com/

Might I suggest contacting Spriter about the bug?  I've done it but if more people bring it up, it probably has a better chance of getting fixed :-).  

http://www.brashmonkey.com/

I already considered that, browesed the forums and saw that.

The developer said he's going to fix it in the next update. So I guess we'll just have to wait for a new verison/hotfix  ^^

Oh, shoot.
Yeah.
I did delete a file. ._.;

I figured it would be easiest to line all the pieces up if I brought in a template shot of the full creature, then assembled it on top of the guide. (Did make things much easier.)

I remembered seeing that adding files while your Spriter project is open did bad things, but I thought it would be fine to remove a file that was no longer necessary with Spriter closed.

Oh dear.

But at least it's being fixed in the next update - which should be coming very soon.

Archived