[HALLOWEEN CHALLENGE] (Mod Collab) Waverly, the bewitched

I guess you can start on the coloured sketches immediately, we only have 9 days left after all  ; )

And noone but me seems to be around, so I'm the master  : P

okay :-) however choose for waverly's familiar...

IMG-20131012-00174_zps715dfc7d.jpg

materials can be staff/living log, beard hair(magic component), crow feathers, gems...add hound tooth for 2nd image and for 3rd buffalo and rhino horn and eye(maybe tallbird eye or something, since willow eye is already needed for something else...) So choose soon....

@KidneyBeanBoy great script!very fitting.however maxwell saying that???

WAXWELL = 

WAVERLYHOUSE = "I wish I had one of those.",

Maybe its just me but i feel as if he would be more satirical and selfish. like 'If I can't have it, neither will you.Burn it!' Every other script is awesome:)

okay :-) however choose for waverly's familiar...

materials can be staff/living log, beard hair(magic component), crow feathers, gems...add hound tooth for 2nd image and for 3rd buffalo and rhino horn and eye(maybe tallbird eye or something, since willow eye is already needed for something else...) So choose soon....

All three look great ^^ I prefer the second one though. But I'm still the opinion that the artist is the best one to make decisions about his art. What does everyone else think?  Concerning the recipe, it's not a good idea to have more than three ingredients since they will go over the border of the recipe and will make it look ugly. No problem for Waverlys Familiar though, since it's her starting item ; )

I'm done the new quotes!

NEWSTRINGS = { RECIPE_DESC = { WAND = "Amaze your friends!", SPELLTOME = "A lower-tier necronomicon", }, NAMES = { WAVERLYMOB = "Waverly", WAVERLYWAND = "Waverlys Familiar", WAVERLYHOUSE = "Waverly's Hut", WAND = "Witches Wand", MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "Shiny Twigs", MAGICWOOD_BARK = "Slippery Bark", SPELLTOME = "Dark Tome", WEEPINGWILLOW = "The Weeping Willow", RAGECROW = "Dark Crow", GRAVESHOVEL = "Gravediggers Dream", }, CHARACTERS = { GENERIC = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "She's definitely NOT a clearly insane individual.",

WAVERLYWAND = "Magic is so unexplainable.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "I could use a house.",

WAND = "It has a myriad of uses. Mostly magic.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "It looks at me strangely ",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "It seems to have a will of its own.",

SPELLTOME = "It contains incantations in an unknown language.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "So the trees DO have ears. And eyes.",

RAGECROW = "It's fueled by pain and confusion.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "It's not feeling good",

}, WILLOW = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "What a crazy old bag.",

WAVERLYWAND = "I could use this.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "I wish I knew how to build one of those.",

WAND = "Do I look like a wizard?",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "It stares with burning eyes.",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "It seems ready to bite.",

SPELLTOME = "It contains utter gibberish.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "Let's see it stare like that on fire!",

RAGECROW = "An angry little bird.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "Reminds me of my cousin Danpi.",

}, WOLFGANG = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "Mother?",

WAVERLYWAND = "Wolfgang's might has no need for magic!",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "House? Wolfgang doesn't need house!",

WAND = "Wolfgang likes the way it sparkles.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "Lowly twig challenges Wolfgang with his eyes!",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "Looks like wood.",

SPELLTOME = "Wolfgang doesn't understand the funny words.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "Sad tree reminds Wolfgang of home.",

RAGECROW = "Mad birdie!",

GRAVESHOVEL = "Wolfgang has angry shovel.",

}, WOODIE = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "First person I meet, and she's evil. Weird, eh?",

WAVERLYWAND = "A glorified toothpick.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "A rustic abode.",

WAND = "It's magic, you know.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "Sorry, pal! You were just so choppable.",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "Creepy, eh?",

SPELLTOME = "Is this written in yasastainian?",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "Another tree to chop down!",

RAGECROW = "Seems a mite evil.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "A shovel for the dead.",

}, WICKERBOTTOM = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "She's as old as me.",

WAVERLYWAND = "I've heard of this in a storybook once.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "A house.",

WAND = "A weapon dreamed up in the 18th century.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "It has stupendously enlarged pupils.",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "Its a... thing.",

SPELLTOME = "It isn't even written in actual language.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "Its a... thing.",

RAGECROW = "A cursed redbird.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "I don't like to dig graves.",

}, WENDY = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "Evil is typical within humanity.",

WAVERLYWAND = "Used for glorified necromancy.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "Where evil rests.",

WAND = "Witchcraft at best.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "Twigs containing the curse of sight.",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "It contains hate towards life, even when dead.",

SPELLTOME = "Written during the depths of insanity.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "A glorified mutant.",

RAGECROW = "It feels unimaginable hatred.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "Who would want to use this?",

}, WX78 = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "SUBJECT IS HIGHLY DISRESPECTFUL.",

WAVERLYWAND = "I HAVE NO QUARRELS WITH IT'S EFFECTS.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "HUMANS AND THEIR NEED FOR SECURITY. ALMOST PITIFUL.",

WAND = "IT CONTAINS LARGE AMOUNTS OF STATIC.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "WHY WON'T IT DIE ALREADY?",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "IT CONTAINS AN UNIDENTIFIED AURA.",

SPELLTOME = "TRANSLATION DRIVE FAILED.",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "A FAILED TREEGUARD.",

RAGECROW = "IT SHARES MY HATRED OF LIFE.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "A SHOVEL FOR HIDING BODIES.",

}, WAXWELL = {

{

WAVERLYMOB = "I don't remember klei mentioning this.",

WAVERLYWAND = "A... safer way of gaining allies.",

WAVERLYHOUSE = "I wish I had one of those.",

WAND = "Not as bad as most types of magic.",

MAGICWOOD_TWIGS = "Stop looking at me like that ",

MAGICWOOD_BARK = "A magic strip of bark.",

SPELLTOME = "What is this? Does this even mean anything?",

WEEPINGWILLOW = "That's an odd tree.",

RAGECROW = "What a homopath.",

GRAVESHOVEL = "A fancy way of gravedigging.",

}, }, }

return NEWSTRINGS

Perfect  ^^  Great work!

okay i did it now how do i do this oh god what did i get into help

Joking, i'll figure it out.

I'm sure you'll figure out  ^^

@Malacath then i'll choose the 2nd one...though i felt it jelled well with the game's art, I was tempted by the 3rd...kinda felt fitting for a witch dark and spooky lol...as for the crafting ingredients- staff,gem,crow feathers/ living log,crow feathers,hound teeth ...i like the second option more...

@Malacath then i'll choose the 2nd one...though i felt it jelled well with the game's art, I was tempted by the 3rd...kinda felt fitting for a witch dark and spooky lol...as for the crafting ingredients- staff,gem,crow feathers/ living log,crow feathers,hound teeth ...i like the second option more...

As I said, I'd let the artist decide for himself. So go with the third one if you prefer it  ; )

@Malacath Okay so how about this?? I'll make the ground and inventory image now....also is the broom idea still on?? mats- living log+eye/ willow's bark or twig(if they have inbuilt eye ;) ), buffalo's horn and rhino's horn..

waverly's familiar

waerlysFAMILIAR_zpsf82f1711.png

player wand - willow's eyeball twig and beard hair

Wand_zps8c71fefc.png

@Irontaco okay thanks :) I wanted them to be connected to the willow tree you are doing..so if you or @Malacath have decided with how the tree's loot is going to look like, I'll change it asap. and @Malacath also decide on the materials for both of them....is Waverly's familiar living log+eye/ willow's bark OR twig(if they have inbuilt eye), buffalo's horn and rhino's horn.. so I can send you the final images..

@Irontaco okay thanks :-) I wanted them to be connected to the willow tree you are doing..so if you or @Malacath have decided with how the tree's loot is going to look like, I'll change it asap. and @Malacath also decide on the materials for both of them....is Waverly's familiar living log+eye/ willow's bark OR twig(if they have inbuilt eye), buffalo's horn and rhino's horn.. so I can send you the final images..

I don't know about the design of the twigs yet, that's Irontacos job. but I'm quite sure a beefalo horn is a bit to big for that thing  ; )  So I'd rather go with the first one.

I don't know about the design of the twigs yet, that's Irontacos job. but I'm quite sure a beefalo horn is a bit to big for that thing  ; )  So I'd rather go with the first one.

errrr actually no....the two pointy things at the top are horns..sucks that it wasn't clear enough in the image..lol..since the staff is magical it can surely readjust the size...otherwise a normal spear would never have the proportions shown here

size_zps2a3dca4c.jpg

cuz I like the design of the staff and to me it looks like it is beefalo horn on top...so thats why i suggested it as an ingredient...however we can keep any other material too...what do u guys suggest??

errrr actually no....the two pointy things at the top are horns..sucks that it wasn't clear enough in the image..lol..since the staff is magical it can surely readjust the size...otherwise a normal spear would never have the proportions shown here

I know that the "pointy things at the top" were horns, but I meant that the actual recipe shouldn't need to include a beefalo horn because it wouldn't make much sense since it's a lot bigger actually.

well it was just a suggestion anyway :D so I'll just randomly modify the eye and it will be done from my side?? oh and @Malacath

"Now a quick list of things we still don't have:

-Waverlys Familiar: This one is her personal wand which no other character will have. It summons spiders, hounds and merms to assist Waverly in her quest to.... whatever. Because Waverly loves those crooked creatures  ; ) It's missing: Inventoryimage, Groundanim and Equipanim. If you want can take the staffs as a basis, but for inv- and groundimages it's totally not necessary. I'm not sure though how to incorporate new equipanims though, should be doable though.

-Witches Wand: This one is crafted from the trees resources by any player. It has the potential to hold any spell and is thus a truly powerful artifact. Iit's missing  the same artwork as Waverlys Familiar.

-A very low priority are some kind of visual representations of our spells, like runes or something. But I won't be able to tell you anything more about that befor my brother has finished the artwork for the book."

wand and familiar- done.. will send you the Inventoryimage, Groundanim by tomorrow. anything about spells??

well it was just a suggestion anyway :grin: so I'll just randomly modify the eye and it will be done from my side??

wand and familiar- done.. will send you the Inventoryimage, Groundanim by tomorrow. anything about spells??

I guess when you've done the artwork then that's it from you're side  ; )  You were asking about the broom earlier and I would like to do something with that, but my time is really getting rare now that my exams approach, so from a code perspective I can't promise to be able to do that.

About the spells, that's really not urgent. We have 20 spells which you can learn from a book and you need to equip them by looking through the book as well. Now there's all kinds of stuff written on those pages (you can take a look at the last version I uploaded, bottom of page 6) but on the left side ther's still some space barren. That's where I figured we could put some kind of rune, depending on what spell it is. If you feel like toying with that idea you can download the latest version to see what spells we have.

I'm absolutely not able to get the wand in the game right now, it will just not show up no matter what. Usually I didn't have a problem with that but right now the equip will just not work... Does anyone feel up to the task? @Cheerio can we even use spriter to add "swap_something" anims to use with "OverrideSymbol"? Cause I can't seem to figure it out...

I'm absolutely not able to get the wand in the game right now, it will just not show up no matter what. Usually I didn't have a problem with that but right now the equip will just not work... Does anyone feel up to the task? @Cheerio can we even use spriter to add "swap_something" anims to use with "OverrideSymbol"? Cause I can't seem to figure it out...

I've been wondering this myself for quite some time... it's not really clear how to use Spriter for anything outside of creatures or set-pieces, and such.

My guess is that they actually interplay with the character animation files when they're created - I mean, look at the hammer, for example - there's a hand-drawn motion-blur-warp as part of the atlas. That's got to be executed at a very specific point in the hammering action's animation. I really don't know how it's done, so hopefully someone like Cheerio can shed some light on it.

Incidentally, we also really need the ability to extend the character's animation set. Making them hold the wand is one thing, but it would be much more impressive if you could give that character a wand-spellcasting animation...

I've been wondering this myself for quite some time... it's not really clear how to use Spriter for anything outside of creatures or set-pieces, and such.

My guess is that they actually interplay with the character animation files when they're created - I mean, look at the hammer, for example - there's a hand-drawn motion-blur-warp as part of the atlas. That's got to be executed at a very specific point in the hammering action's animation. I really don't know how it's done, so hopefully someone like Cheerio can shed some light on it.

Incidentally, we also really need the ability to extend the character's animation set. Making them hold the wand is one thing, but it would be much more impressive if you could give that character a wand-spellcasting animation...

Since the code is just "OverrideSymbol" I was thinking that we would really only need to know the appropiate names that were used when creating the animations. But then again it's unsure, as you said, how to realise that well with spiter... Back in the days Ipsquiggle said Tutorials for spriter were coming in the future, so maybe we'll sometime see how to properly use it for all the features Don't Starve has to offer.

As for extending character animations, I thougt that it was possible if you have the atlas and split it up into seperate files again. I've not tried yet, but I'll do that when I'm done with this project here. If I get it to work as I expect it I'll fill you in on it  ; )  But maybe you already had bad exxperiences with that...

As for extending character animations, I thougt that it was possible if you have the atlas and split it up into seperate files again. I've not tried yet, but I'll do that when I'm done with this project here. If I get it to work as I expect it I'll fill you in on it  ; )  But maybe you already had bad exxperiences with that...

Ah, but - tediousness aside - that's not truly expanding the character's animation set.

The characters draw their animations from a common set of player animation files - while you could technically reassemble the character, and do a new animation in Spriter... but it wouldn't be part of the "player" animation data - it would be a specific, separate animation purely for one character.

It would actually be a new entity, as far as I can tell.

I don't know about the technical points of integrating that completely new animation with the existng ones, I just know for certain that it's not ideal, and would be very hard to make it 'match up' with the existing stuff.

Take for example... I make a '20s mobster with his own Tommy Gun. The base character uses the standard player actions, but the Tommy Gun needs a new shoot animation. There's no way for me to import the player animation into Sprite, and add a new state for shooting... so I can either re-animate the whole thing from scratch, or make a self-contained animation by piecing the character together, and just praying that it'll look okay (assuming I figure out how to swap the player to a completely different entity while shooting) - but if I go the route you're going with Waverly, and make the mobster a boss who drops the Tommy Gun when defeated... I then have to make a shooting animation for every character in the game, and set it up the same way. And that doesn't even begin to wrestle with the issue of Custom character compatibility...

x.x

[...]

Nah, I didn't mean it's possible to add animations that could be commonly shared by all characters, especially existing ones. i was more thinking about adding animations you wanted to use spcifically for one custom character. That will of course not work for things as the wand in our case. I know there's probably a lot of work involved to match the new animations with the existing ones, but since you'll most likely go to that animation from the idle state it's not "that big" of a deal, still a thing to consider though. Now since lots of animations are loaded as their own asset like "player_actions_axe" I don't believe the coding would be a big obstacle here.

Of course it's not ideal, but do you remember what control we had over animations just a bit over a month ago  ; )  In tha regards I would almost say it's pretty good

Sure, if I get permission to view them  ; )  My email is the long german one that asks for permission.

well if you can't view them then tell me your email id...i'll send attachments...or I can attach the individual images here and you can download them

well, I requested access, so I thought you could unlock them for me. But if that doesn't work send them to h(underscore)baensch(at)yahoo(dot)de

unlocked...should work now...

yep, downloaded all the images. I don't know if it's possible to implement a different view from back and front. I know in one of the atlases that is a thing but I have never seen the Firestaff from the back in-game.

Archived