Bored

jangofet

Don't Starve just doesn't feel that fun and amusing anymore. Whenever a new update comes by, I'm too curious and look at all the new things and then look at the wiki. I WANT to actually play for real to see the new things, but I am always really afraid of dying and losing all my hard work. Any tips on encouraging play?

Don't Starve.

Just kidding... perhaps try customizing a worl to have no hostiles above ground so you can focus on getting underground... or maybe just wait a while. I went through this phase before, and after a month, I started watching MrGmView again (Dont Starve Player on Youtube) and I wanted to play again. That's just my story though.

Went through this with FLT. After a while, you need to set additional conditions on your successful setup, such as not using carrots, avoiding Beefalo, etc. With the custom game world settings, you literally can set up your conditions permanently in your (first) world if you so wish. There have been a lot of "challenges" suggested in this games' forum threads; look around and see a few of them for you to accept. Of course, the ultimate challenge in DS (like shieldless run in FTL) is permanent night setup. 

Have fun with your new challenges and don't bored starve!

Went through this with FLT. After a while, you need to set additional conditions on your successful setup, such as not using carrots, avoiding Beefalo, etc. With the custom game world settings, you literally can set up your conditions permanently in your (first) world if you so wish. There have been a lot of "challenges" suggested in this games' forum threads; look around and see a few of them for you to accept. Of course, the ultimate challenge in DS (like shieldless run in FTL) is permanent night setup. 

Have fun with your new challenges and don't bored starve!

Well, the point is that I don't like dying and losing my hard work. I want to discover new things the old fashioned way, but my fear of death just blocks that out.

Don't Starve.

Just kidding... perhaps try customizing a worl to have no hostiles above ground so you can focus on getting underground... or maybe just wait a while. I went through this phase before, and after a month, I started watching MrGmView again (Dont Starve Player on Youtube) and I wanted to play again. That's just my story though.

I think I'll try that!

I think very few people read the OP at all.

Anyway, always keep an effigy up (and one in the crafting menu) since permadeath in caves should be up soon.
Until then, make sure you have doubles of valuables you could lose in the caves (such as a Tam O'Shanter). That way, dying and losing some items won't be that harsh.

But most importantly plan ahead and be prepared for everything.

I think very few people read the OP at all.

Anyway, always keep an effigy up (and one in the crafting menu) since permadeath in caves should be up soon.

Until then, make sure you have doubles of valuables you could lose in the caves (such as a Tam O'Shanter). That way, dying and losing some items won't be that harsh.

But most importantly plan ahead and be prepared for everything.

One has to wonder when dying in the caves when permadeath is up, if you need a meat effigy in the corresponding layer or a surface one will do the trick. With them being basically different worlds/ saves and all that ( multiple inventory Chester is a fine example of this). Hope that Klei makes sure that it only matters you have a meat effigy/touchstone up, regardless of it's location...

As for the OP, you could make a new world and then take the advice from @Warburner so you can easily access the new cave content. Once you've experienced the new content you could make a new save with other world customising tweaks to your liking

One has to wonder when dying in the caves when permadeath is up, if you need a meat effigy in the corresponding layer or a surface one will do the trick. With them being basically different worlds/ saves and all that ( multiple inventory Chester is a fine example of this). Hope that Klei makes sure that it only matters you have a meat effigy/touchstone up, regardless of it's location...

I will put one down there anyway. Saves a lot of travel time...

Don't Starve just doesn't feel that fun and amusing anymore. Whenever a new update comes by, I'm too curious and look at all the new things and then look at the wiki. I WANT to actually play for real to see the new things, but I am always really afraid of dying and losing all my hard work. Any tips on encouraging play?

Camp Res mod.  Don't leave home without it.  Even works in the up and away expansion that's being worked on.  Of course if you're against mods, the Meat Effigy is your best bet.

Sometimes best thing to do is take a small break (sometimes longer). For example I was vividly playing Diablo 3 at launch, then I quit for almost an year, couple weeks ago was having great fun playing it again.

Well some games are kind of drug that make me take a break to manage my thirst. They are highly competitive games like e-sport games.

My personal opinion is

A) use mods to extend the life of the game by making it more varied and different

B) Take a break, sooner or later you will be ready to play the game and have fun again

If you're going to reply to days old threads than at least have the decency of reading the OP.

Archived