General Development

debugman18

How's the beard potion going to work on Woodie? He's already got one. And what happens when you drink a beard potion when you already have a beard as Wilson/Webber?

Also, transforming into a Moleworm should make Catcoons aggressive to you.

Edited by Lium

The issue I have with making it specifically "mole" is that the mole is a Reign of Giants only mob. I don't want to limit the mod to one group or the other, so I'm not sure how we could make that work.

I agree. But what did you mean by "tunnelling"? Don't keep everyone speculating :razz:.

I agree. But what did you mean by "tunnelling"? Don't keep everyone speculating :razz:.

Maybe a simple animation of the player jumping into the ground followed by the ability to move underground in the style of depht worms could do the trick.

Well, this, except currently they don't jump into the ground. That seems possible, though.

I don't know.  As Vivalavie said, tunneling should probably be left to a piece of equipment rather than a potion.  That or it could be an effect of that shrinking mechanic we were talking about earlier.

But what would be the effect of a player burrowing into the ground?

You can't attack or be attacked by mobs. That includes Charlie. You also can't pick up or drop items.

Basically that, except currently it works as what amounts to a sneak button. You can do everything normally, but the duration varies.

As an equipment it would be too abusable, like you take it on and off to be invincible.

Still, it doesn't really make sense.  How can you drink something and gain the ability to dig holes, but only temporarily? 

As an equipment it would be too abusable, like you take it on and off to be invincible.

I think that depends on the durability. And if it breaks while you're burrowing, the player could asphyxiate.

Cause of death: earth

(ok, not really, that'd be a bit too mean)

Still, it doesn't really make sense. How can you drink something and gain the ability to dig holes, but only temporarily?

It's a magical potion. :razz:

But anyway, I'm not too sure about this effect, be it from a potion or equipment.

Edited by simplex

But anyway, I'm not too sure about this effect, be it from a potion or equipment.

This and the beard potions are too strange...

Maybe instead of making you dig holes, the potion should transform you into a shadow creature? In that state you are invisible to other enemies, but always insane (and shadows see you)?

It could generate a small cutscene when you drink it: zoom on the player, the screen gets a purple filter, then Charlie's sound plays, two shadow eyes appear, and you become a shadow creature.

Edited by DwerBomb

This and the beard potions are too strange...

Maybe instead of making you dig holes, the potion should transform you into a shadow creature? In that state you are invisible to other enemies, but always insane (and shadows see you)?

It could generate a small cutscene when you drink it: zoom on the player, the screen gets a purple filter, then Charlie's sound plays, two shadow eyes appear, and you become a shadow creature.

I dont think the beard potion is to strange it basically exists in real life :D 

also like the shadow potion thing ! more cutscenes ! not sure about details but i wont interfere with balancing anyways :3

It's a magical potion. :razz:

Well, it's not set in stone, no pun intended.

So I just wanted to clarify before I implement the following:

A potion that switches health with hunger, or is it a different kind of flip?

A potion of haste? (20%?)

Potions should spoil, and on spoiling, they become less reliable?

Well, it's not set in stone, no pun intended.

So I just wanted to clarify before I implement the following:

A potion that switches health with hunger, or is it a different kind of flip?

Hunger with sanity. Health with hunger would be too powerful. Any kind of "reflection" (i.e., swapping two stats while keeping one fixed) together with the stat rotation have the property I was after: obtaining every stat permutation by drinking at most two potions; but I think we should make the more powerful stat changes harder to get, requiring two potions. So the swap should be hunger <-> sanity, and the rotation would be counterclockwise (health -> hunger -> sanity -> health). Note that, in this scheme, swapping hunger and health corresponds to first drinking the reflection potion and then the rotation potion.

A potion of haste? (20%?)

I think 20% is fine, though I also think we should think about potion intensity.

Potions should spoil, and on spoiling, they become less reliable?

Yes, but should be handled by a component, to keep things consistent. I'm not too sure when I'll be able to code that, though; for now we might as well leave spoilage out.

Edited by simplex

Hunger with sanity. Health with hunger would be too powerful. Any kind of "reflection" (i.e., swapping two stats while keeping one fixed) together with the stat rotation have the property I was after: obtaining every stat permutation by drinking at most two potions; but I think we should make the more powerful stat changes harder to get, requiring two potions. So the swap should be hunger <-> sanity, and the rotation would be counterclockwise (health -> hunger -> sanity -> health). Note that, in this scheme, swapping hunger and health corresponds to first drinking the reflection potion and then the rotation potion.

Gotcha. Alright.

I think 20% is fine, though I also think we should think about potion intensity.

What would be involved with it? The various mad hatter-type equipment, or some alchemy catalyst?

Yes, but should be handled by a component, to keep things consistent. I'm not too sure when I'll be able to code that, though; for now we might as well leave spoilage out.

Well, I think I could implement this cleanly without (or with, probably) a component, but a component would surely be more flexible.

Edited by debugman18

What would be involved with it? The various mad hatter-type equipment, or some alchemy catalyst?

From the potion's perspective, nothing, this should just be a number they receive. From the player's perpective, mad hatter-type equipments would be the main source of intensity boosts, but we could add more kinds of sources later on.

I'm thinking this should be handled by several (mostly simple) components. One component added to potions, controlling things like applying an effect unapplying an effect and what happens when the player saves in the midle of an effect. One component for potion brewers, basically concerned with computing a brewed potion's intensity. And we may also want to add one component to potion drinkers, to control applying/unapplying/restoring from savedata the potion effects, instead of leaving that to the potion component (since keeping this in the potion component would require not removing the potion entity and using some workarounds to remove it properly), but this would probably require saving functions, which is something that must be done very carefully to avoid disasters, so... I'm not sure.

What happened to the whole Monolith idea?

It's in limbo. We haven't really discussed it much. Basically, it would have been a golden statue that stalked you. It would wait for you to do something it didn't like, then it would transform into a golem and hunt you down.

It's in limbo. We haven't really discussed it much. Basically, it would have been a golden statue that stalked you. It would wait for you to do something it didn't like, then it would transform into a golem and hunt you down.

Maybe that can tie into the whole plot about how you ruin the Cloud Realm's ecosystem by stealing too many Golden Eggs.