General Development

debugman18

Well the Steel ball would stun the player... Can we make another stunning animation that will work in a similiar way to the lighting stunning animation of RoG? (Stealing the concept but not the whole thing, I mean.)

Well the Steel ball would stun the player... Can we make another stunning animation that will work in a similiar way to the lighting stunning animation of RoG? (Stealing the concept but not the whole thing, I mean.)

I am planning on implementing a "static" damage type for beta, which should cover our bases.

• Like 1

hey, i don't know if this is the right place to post/ask for/tell my idea, but i seen the link with the request to share ideas on the up & away wiki site and it leads me here so...

how would it be to have another stage above the up & away...like up in space...like the cave and the ruins below. there are endless opportunities!!

you could create every biome you can imagine like ice, red heat or desert like the mars...with its own flora and items.

said again, really don't know if i'm right in this section of the forum.

hey, i don't know if this is the right place to post/ask for/tell my idea, but i seen the link with the request to share ideas on the up & away wiki site and it leads me here so...

how would it be to have another stage above the up & away...like up in space...like the cave and the ruins below. there are endless opportunities!!

you could create every biome you can imagine like ice, red heat or desert like the mars...with its own flora and items.

said again, really don't know if i'm right in this section of the forum.

This is the correct place, don't worry, we won't bite. ;)

We have got two other levels planned, but we need to fully flesh out the initial level before moving onto another. Space is a possibility, and it gives a lot of interesting ideas, such as an oxygen mechanic and low gravity. I think we could explore that.

I'm kind of confused about the idea and the concept of all of the Up and Away mod. Isn't it supposed to be a living paradise? Cause of what I've seen it's a living hell, much like the caves and the ruins. Static is like the upper nightmare phase!

I like some of the content thought, like the sheep being there (you should definitely add the volt goat "baaa" noise to the sheep).

Are you talking about me? When I sent you a PM I was being serious. Do you take me as a joke? Well how dare you!

-.-

How am I trouble? Cause I made a criticism about this mod?

He's talking about the Shopkeeper, not you...

A genuine question: What is the purpose of the mod? Is it to make the game more fun, difficult, easier or what?

Isn't it kind of obvious?  To add new features and a new realm to the game.

Why do you have to be so rude? That's what I thought, since that's what the Shop keeper in the game made it sound like.

Again.  Mercurius is full of bull.

Are you talking about me? When I sent you a PM I was being serious. Do you take me as a joke? Well how dare you!

How am I trouble? Cause I made a criticism about this mod?

A genuine question: What is the purpose of the mod? Is it to make the game more fun, difficult, easier or what?

Why do you have to be so rude? That's what I thought, since that's what the Shop keeper in the game made it sound like.

1. No, I'm talking about the shopkeeper. Mercurius is the shopkeeper. As for the PM, I haven't responded because I'm quite preoccupied with issues in my own life, and I prefer to keep that kind of thing from impacting my attitude on here, and thus I keep interaction to a minimum until I feel I can do such. I hate to leave people hanging like that, but I hate bringing my muddled emotions onto the forums even more so.

2. Again, see spoiler-ish answer above.

3. This I can answer. The original purpose of the mod was to be a DLC to extend the life of the game. Up and Away's development predates Reign of Giants, as far as public development goes, anyways. The idea was to add a lot of new content to the game since updates were thought to have ceased. Now, the purpose is roughly the same.

4. He wasn't being rude. Mercurius = Shopkeeper. I don't know why that has to be explained.

Now, since there is no point waiting to respond to your PM, the only answer I can give you is "I don't know." You aren't the only person who has asked a question like that. I don't know when the mod will go into beta, and I have even less of an inkling of when it will be "complete". We have plans to develop it indefinitely, so long as there is an interest in Don't Starve. The launch of Don't Starve together will hopefully coincide with some deal of progress.

Aside from that, I have no current plans on working on mods other than Up and Away, even after its completion.

For now, I'm still in the midst of a break. Like I said, I want to keep my interactions here from being emotionally charged. It's especially difficult to do that when people take my light-hearted jokes as personal insults, though.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1

-.-

He's talking about the Shopkeeper, not you...

Isn't it kind of obvious?  To add new features and a new realm to the game.

Again.  Mercurius is full of bull.

Oh... (facepalm myself). ;_; just next time... make it clearer, okay (what a stupid misunderstanding)?

The big misunderstanding was that I thought you guys were talking about me while you were talking about the Shopkeeper. Like, take it from another perspective; it does kind of look like you were talking about me.

I'm so sorry to cause so much goof here...

Edited by XirmiX

Oh... (facepalm myself). ;_; just next time... make it clearer, okay (what a stupid misunderstanding)?

The big misunderstanding was that I thought you guys were talking about me while you were talking about the Shopkeeper. Like, take it from another perspective; it does kind of look like you were talking about me.

I'm so sorry to cause so much goof here...

Don't sweat it.

For future reference, I try my hardest not to insult people here. There are disagreements occasionally, but I try to be as civil as I possibly can even when those disagreements arise.

So if it seems like I'm insulting you, it's almost 100% certain I'm not.

I'd like to know if there's a way to load a compatible .po file to include a localization for this project. I'd like to translate it to Brazilian Portuguese but I wanted to include it in my regular Don't Starve mod or maybe the modders could include a language settings in the options menu. Anyway, I'm willing to help on that. Drop me a private message if you guys are interested. 

I've seen some people that already have Up and Away. Is alpha of the mod already out for everyone? Or just given to certain people? Cause Up and Away wasn't in the mod section. Is it on steam only? If I can, then where do I download it?

Sooo, let's make a short summoning of the workforces we can build upon, at the moment.

simlex and debugman are busy at the moment, so the rest of us can make artwork and lines and some animating to have things ready when they are back.

How is the status of the Team.

I'm busy working but I will shovel free some time, this is a perfect opportunity to train my organizing skills ^^

As much as it hurts to say it, neither am I.  Almost every single producing member of the mod has either left the forums or is just overloaded with work, work that has no end in sight.  And nobody else seems interested in hopping on the project.

Edited by Lord_Battal

Yes, it does seem as if nobody new is interested in hopping on board. This doesn't surprise me, as Simplex and I (aside from Tiddles's implementation of the gummer bears) have always been the only coders on the project.

While Lium is not wrong (in that it feels like the same time last year) I am trying to gather time and energy (and willpower) to recontinue work sooner rather than later.

I have zero plans to abandon Up and Away. Pausing development is far from ideal, but short of the aforementioned abandonment, it's the best that can be done.

Simplex and I get paid absolutely nothing to work on Up and Away. If anything, it costs money, since we have to push other things aside in order to work on the mod. It is, and always has been, purely a hobby project. I have spent nights awake working on it, and I know Simplex has wracked his brain on parts of the mod as well.

Our artists don't make anything off of it either; they're in it for the mod's benefit. Code by itself works, but nobody would be playing Up and Away without the art that goes into it.

Same goes for the strings that flesh out the additions even further.

So, while I feel terrible pausing development, there's nothing else that can be done at the moment. Some of you will come and go, just like you always have, and we'll likely see new faces during future development.

Maybe Don't Starve Together will reinvigorate the community. Maybe when I attempt to update the mod to work with DST, development will be unpaused. I don't know. If anyone sticks around during the pause to come up with art and ideas, it'd be wonderful to come back to. If not, I understand that.

I'm stressed and busy, I've been stressed and busy, and I need to get unstressed and unbusy (hell, just unstressed would be enough) before I can focus on development again.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 1