General Development

debugman18

I'm currently trying to work on your wiki, is there anywhere I can access information about all of the Mobs, Items, Biomes, Etc. so I can add them? The slideshow appears to be outdated, and it's overwhelming to trying to scroll through the hundreds and hundreds of posts to try to get information.

Err...

Okay, so this is something that needs to be addressed, I suppose.

Unfortunately, most of the information about the mod is stored in our heads. The slideshow is incredibly outdated. (Sadly.)

Aside from that, however, the next best thing would be here:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/27883-daily-recaps-fox-news/

They're short summaries of various things, and they're not always 100% accurate, but they're still pretty useful.

You could also check the /code/prefabs folder of the mod, if you understand Lua, it will have relevant information, as well.

If you decide to lend a hand, we would greatly appreciate it! We currently have nobody focusing on the wiki, so it's pretty lacking.

You could also ask us if you're unsure of anything, we'd be happy to clear up any questions.

I'm currently trying to work on your wiki, is there anywhere I can access information about all of the Mobs, Items, Biomes, Etc. so I can add them? The slideshow appears to be outdated, and it's overwhelming to trying to scroll through the hundreds and hundreds of posts to try to get information.

Unfortunately, we started the wiki precisely as a place to place this information. As debugman put it, currently the best place for this kind of information is Arctic's Fox News, which is organised by date, not by topic.

Hopefully, once we launch alpha (which shouldn't take long!) it will become easier for people to help with the wiki, since then players will be able to learn how the cloudrealm ticks from experience.

I did some tweaks to worldgen. Now geese should always appear somewhat close to the spawn point of the player.

Though I feel I overdid a bit the spawn rate. This will take some testing to adjust.

(also, I think having them lay an egg every static cycle will just litter the world with golden nuggets; but on the other hand, this is important to make them a reliable heat source; we need to think about that)

Edited by simplex
  • Like 2

I did some tweaks to worldgen. Now geese should always appear somewhat close to the spawn point of the player.

Though I feel I overdid a bit the spawn rate. This will take some testing to adjust.

(also, I think having them lay an egg every static cycle will just litter the world with golden nuggets; but on the other hand, this is important to make them a reliable heat source; we need to think about that)

Could we give them a life-cycle of sorts? This way they would either die or grow too old to lay eggs. Perhaps this could be shown by the Moose's colour turning greyer as it grows older?

Could we give them a life-cycle of sorts? This way they would either die or grow too old to lay eggs. Perhaps this could be shown by the Moose's colour turning greyer as it grows older?

Then we'd need to decide how their are born and grown.

But I don't see how this addresses the problem.

By the way, small question: Will you still have need of bugtesters after the alpha release?

yeah, it'll be less hands on (although it still will be to some extent) and more looking at what others find, recreating it then passing on the info (log, screenshots etc) though.

yeah, it'll be less hands on (although it still will be to some extent) and more looking at what others find, recreating it then passing on the info (log, screenshots etc) though.

We'll definetely benefit from some Wade-like testers. However, "regular" tester who simply play the game, albeit in a way more committed to testing and with a closer contact with the rest of the team, will remain as important as always.

How should the research lectern (Cumulocator Station) be handled? If I recall correctly, the idea was that it'd be a structure randomly found in the cloud realm. However, if we're going to use it for crafting essential to survival in the cloud realm, like light and heat sources, I believe it should be readily available for the player.

What about giving its blueprint to the player as a shopkeeper gift, and making it craftable with cumulostones, gold and something else (crystals? thunderlogs? thunderboards :razz:?)?

• Like 1

How should the research lectern (Cumulocator Station) be handled? If I recall correctly, the idea was that it'd be a structure randomly found in the cloud realm. However, if we're going to use it for crafting essential to survival in the cloud realm, like light and heat sources, I believe it should be readily available for the player.

What about giving its blueprint to the player as a shopkeeper gift, and making it craftable with cumulostones, gold and something else (crystals? thunderlogs? thunderboards :razz:?)?

I like the idea of it being a blueprint given to the player. As for the recipe, yours works. Of course, we'd have to add thunderboards. :razz:

Oh, and I didn't realize this before, but you can pick up cloudturfs. Is that intentional? Because that means we would need a 'dirt' texture, as well as turf inventory icons.

Edit: Although, I've actually made a couple of changes to the recipes file (Inventory images stuff) so I might as well change the recipe there if we decide on something.

Edited by debugman18

I like the idea of it being a blueprint given to the player. As for the recipe, yours works. Of course, we'd have to add thunderboards. :razz:

@Luggs, could you tweak your shopkeeper line where the kettle is given to account also for the research lectern blueprint being given as a gift?

Oh, and I didn't realize this before, but you can pick up cloudturfs. Is that intentional? Because that means we would need a 'dirt' texture, as well as turf inventory icons.

Not intentional, I just hadn't implemented the denial yet, which I just did.

It's the crafting station for the cloud realm recipes (the fable tech tree).

But I have some gifts.

First, a kettle. After all

No one should be without a good cup of tea

Second. A blueprint for something to help you learn

Many strange and wonderful things were discovered up there.

And summarily lost.

But perhaps they were lost with good reason, hmm?

• Like 2

But I have some gifts.

First, a kettle. After all

No one should be without a good cup of tea

Second. A blueprint for something to help you learn

Many strange and wonderful things were discovered up there.

And summarily lost.

But perhaps they were lost with good reason, hmm?

The speech and the bluepring gifting is now in the mod.

I have a question,

I was trying to give a beefalo to the shopkeeper by getting it's aggro and lure the beast to the keeper. That doesn't work ^^ but that is not the point. I was running, with spear in hand, and accidentally clicked on the shopkeeper. Lightning, fire, leaving keeper of the shop.

Is it possible to make it like upon attacking he goes "na na na" and the equipped weapon slips out of the players hand (like if a frog licks it away) and only if the player insists on attacking the lightning and disappearing happens?

I'm not saying this is a big issue but people could accidentally attack...

Edited by MilleniumCount

Is it possible to make it like upon attacking he goes "na na na" and the equipped weapon slips out of the players hand (like if a frog licks it away) and only if the player insists on attacking the lightning and disappearing happens?

I'm not saying this is a big issue but people could accidentally attack...

We could do something like that, but the way it currently works is that while the shopkeeper will get pissed off and leave, it will reappear (in another spot along the road) in the next time it rains. I think it gives a nice "ok, he had some time to cool off" feel to it :razz:.

We could do something like that, but the way it currently works is that while the shopkeeper will get pissed off and leave, it will reappear (in another spot along the road) in the next time it rains. I think it gives a nice "ok, he had some time to cool off" feel to it :razz:.

Then he could probably say something like "Well, have we calmed down finally?"

Then he could probably say something like "Well, have we calmed down finally?"

Good idea.

And speaking of which, I realised there are some details to be addressed for the respawning to work correctly. Currently we're storing the "quest progress" of the player in the shopkeeper, so it is lost when he despawns. We need to store it in the player.

This is a tutorial on using Github and on adding new things to the mod for those collaborating on it.

MAC

You'll need this:

https://mac.github.com/

WINDOWS

You'll need this:

https://windows.github.com/

Now, go to https://github.com/debugman18/UpAndAway and you should see a Clone To Desktop button near the bottom right of the page. Click it.

Select the folder UpAndAway in your mods folder of Don't Starve. If it doesn't exist, create it.

You'll want to pull the repo now. A 'pull' means that you are downloading the most current version of the repo to your computer. So long as you haven't modified the same files those in a recent commit, you can pull even while working on your own changes. A 'commit' is an update to the repo, adding, removing, or changing files.

At the top right, you should see a 'Sync' button. This will pull the most recent changes. This will also be used to 'push' changes. Pushing means to upload your commit to the repo (as I said, a commit is an update to the files).

Now, make whatever changes you're making.

Now when you go to the repo in your Github application (in case you haven't noticed the connection, repo is short for repository) you'll see an 'Uncommited Changes' box, with an area to type in a summary of the changes you've made.

For example, let's say you added a new creature, called the "Test Monster". You could type in something like "Added a Test Monster" into the summary box.

Once you're happy with the shown changes, hit the 'Commit' button. This will save your changes to your local version of the repo. To upload your changes so that everyone else can see them, hit the 'Sync' button again. This will push your commit to the online repo, and everybody else can now see the changes you made.

ADDING THINGS TO THE MOD

Up and Away's code is quite a bit different from the average mod, since it uses the Wicker framework.

ADDING A PREFAB

To add a prefab, you must place it in the /code/prefabs/ folder of UpAndAway. At the top of the prefab file, you'll want to add:

BindGlobal()

At the bottom of the prefab file, you'll want to create the prefab with something like this for a single addition:

return Prefab ("common/inventory/cloud_fruit", fn, assets, prefabs)

Or something like this for multiple additions in one file:

return {    Prefab ("common/inventory/crystal_wall", fn, assets, prefabs),    Prefab ("common/inventoryitem/crystal_wall_item", itemfn, assets, prefabs),}

Now, you'll need to tell the mod to load it. In the root mod directory, you'll find a file named 'prefabfiles.lua'. In this file is a list of prefabs. Here, you only need to add the name of the prefab file you added. For example, if you added a file called 'crystal_wall' which contained the table as seen above, you would add:

"crystal_wall",

Always make sure there is a comma at the end.

ADDING A MINIMAP ICON

After creating the appropriate prefab, you'll want to add a minimap icon to the assets list and the main file.

In the mod directory, there is a file called 'assets.lua'. If you open it up, you'll find a table called 'ImageAssets'. To add your minimap icon, add its file name to the list, like this:

"crystal_wall",

Make sure there's always a comma at the end, just like with adding a prefab.

Now, you'll also need to tell the mod itself to load that minimap icon. In the /code/ directory of the mod, you'll find a file named 'main.lua'. You'll want to add something like this to it, preferably with the other minimap atlas declarations:

AddMinimapAtlas("images/crystal_wall.xml")

There's no comma at the end this time.

ADDING AN INVENTORY ICON

After creating the appropriate prefab, you'll want to add an inventory icon to the assets list.

In the mod directory, there is a file called 'assets.lua'. If you open it up, you'll find a table called 'InventoryImageAssets'. To add your inventory icon, add its file name to the list, like this:

"crystal_wall",

Just like before, you'll want to make sure there's a comma.

Edited by debugman18
  • Like 2