Best way to regain Health

Elok

If you can't get a hold of some honey, the only other way is via Crockpot, as most of those recipes (especially Dragonpie and Stuffed Eggplant) can restore 20-35 Health (or more!) depending on what you use for the variable ingredients.

Trying to restore health with normal, cooked food is a slow process: off the top of my head, cooked berries give about 3 Health and cooked Pig Meat is about 7. So if you're willing to burn through a stack of cooked berries or several hunks of charred meat, you can heal a decent chunk of your health meter.

In case you're a Crockpot novice:

Stuffed Eggplant - 1x Eggplant, 1x Vegetable, 2x Meat (monster and piggy both work)

Dragonpie - 1x Dragon Fruit, 3x whatever else (I usually use Corn or Carrots)

edit to add: basically, without Honey or a Farm/Crockpot combo, it's a slow and very food-consuming process.

Just wondering, while I'm guessing we get the eggplant from the farm, where can I get Dragon fruit?

The farm itself. It has a random chance to produce veggies. LadyD has a research thread about it somewhere.

And to op, I use Froggle Bunwiches to restore large health and hunger.

1 frog legs + 3fillers(not twigs)

Oh yeah, sorry, both Eggplants and Dragon Fruit come from Farm plots. You can get Carrots, Eggplants, Corn, Durian, Dragonfruit, and Pumpkins from planted seeds. It seems to be pretty random as to what you get, although Eggplants, Dragonfruit, and Pumpkins seems to rare while Corn and Carrots are common. I recommend trying to get 3-5 Farm plots going at once so you have a greater chance per crop to get something good.

If you don't have a Crockpot, just eating cooked Eggplant or Dragonfruit is enough to restore a decent chunk of health (7-10 if I remember correctly), whereas cooked Pumpkin restores a TON of Hunger but almost no Health.

Butterfly Wings + Carrots = Butter Muffin according to the Crockpot recipe thread, but I've never tried to whip one up myself. There's 0 information about Butter Muffins, so maybe they're one of the two "missing" recipes I was reading about? Not sure.

With a logsuit, I've found I only lose about 5-10 health after each fight. Logsuits are relatively easy to create, so keeping one up on all times shouldn't be that difficult. You can just eat flowers after each fight to recover the minimal amounts of health lost :p.

If you want a good, renewable, and cheap way of healing, butterflies are a great place to start. Each one (when killed) has a high chance of dropping Butterfly wings. They heal for 8 health AND give you 10-12 hunger (I can't remember which). That's healing for as much as a spider gland AND giving you a berry's worth of hunger to boot! Just catch a few of them with the Bug Net and plant a small field of flowers. They spawn pretty often in a large field. They only tricky part is getting them without a bug net. I found it's best to wait for them to stop moving (landing) and then attacking them. Usually will get the job done.

You can also make a healing (salve? potion?) of spider glands, rocks and ashes. Might be one gland, one ash, two rocks.

You can get ashes by burning unharvested grass clumps/saplings/flowers; also from burning tree stumps (I think); and ash is also left over from a campfire (the temporary type, not the permanent type that requires rocks).

Another useful dish - if you have a crockpot - is a pierogi. I usually make them with monster x1, an egg (use the little ones, don't waste a tallbird egg on this dish) and red mushroom x2. Heals 40, fills hunger with about 35 and is slow to spoil/rot.

Apparently you can also use one each of morsel, egg, carrot, honey, but I seldom have honey.

Fish sticks restore lots of health.  Fish + sticks + meat + meat I think.  They don't keep long.

I get lots of frogs legs and fish from watching merms fight tentacles in the swamp, so I call my usual recipe a Merm Special: fish + sticks + frog legs + frog legs, or fish + fish + sticks + frog legs.

Just kill a bunch of butterflies and eat lots of butterfly wings! (If we're talking about day 1 - 5 then this is the quickest, but not the best, way to regain more health)

Procedure:

Step 1: when a butterfly just came out of a flower and you're near it, just press ctrl + F to force attack and kill it before it gets away

Step 2: when it's already wandering, follow it with some distance until it stops then immediately run to it and ctrl + F again! you have to be quick though or the butterfly will notice you and starts fluttering away

Step 3: if it does fluttered away from you, wait for it to stop again and then repeat step 2

Step 4: if there are flowers nearby (except the one that the butterfly spawned from), wait for the butterfly to land on the flower and then kill it while it is still on the flower!
Step 5: Practice until you get the hang of it. 

Yes it's no big deal at first because it's not that necessary and you should probably get more time gathering resources rather than wasting your time chasing butterflies but trust me, you'll going to need this SKILL later on! having a stack of butterfly wings and you happen to have some veggies and/or some fruits, you'll be able to make butter muffins easy!

I feel like everyone always forgets about trail mix but it is one of the easiest and best crock pot healing foods to make!! It heals a significant amount (30 hp) and only requires birchnuts and berries (1 birchnut + 3 berries), so it's definitely something feasible early on in the game, much easier to obtain than farmed foods, especially rare ones like dragon fruit. With all the birchnuts and berries you can obtain in the first season you can even stock up on lots of trail mix.