Flame Hounds

I've yet to see them, however I've read others talking about them. How do you protect yourself and base from flame hounds?

Currently my base is surrounded by a ring of trees. It keeps the regular hounds out. Allowing me to fight them one at a time easy peasy.

Can you use burnt trees as a wall? What day do they start to show up?

they get blocked by burned trees, yes, or chests aswell. they are not that much harder to fight to be honest, their fire damage is a bit annoying though, and you really want to kite them around flameable camp stuff, but if you keep them away from that, they are not much worse than the normal ones.

Edited by Bogpad

No flame hounds for me yet either. Two hound attacks so far, first time it was just two hounds, the second time 4-5 of them. Fort Chest-a-Lot once again perplexed them and I took the out one at a time. Not to mention the one hound that decided to eat his friend's remains...

Let's just say you want to be VERY careful where you kill one. I suggest kiting them to the nearest Pigville, if possible, the Pigmen don't like bite-y hounds any more than you do, and allies can make a huge difference in how much damage your Health and Armor take.

After playing for a couple of hours today I have found the hounds just seem to show up at random times (day and night) in groups between 3 and 5. Some are just normal hounds others are the flame hounds.

The game has a sound associated with the hounds that plays for at least 15 seconds before they reach you (kind of a growling/huffing sound) so you have plenty of time to move away from your base to fight them. Remember to equip a miners helmet or something if you plan to run away from your base at night though! :)

For me the hounds run up against the tree wall for a bit, if you wait long enough they will become "fixed" doing that so you can go around and they will still be running into the wall as if you're still on the other side of it. But you will of course be behind them and can take them out individually.

I see you guys are using walls to fight the hounds one at a time, but how exactly do you do that? Are you letting them in by breaking something then quickly replacing it?

My wall is sort of shaped like an omega, so the majority get caught on the wall and stuck at the bottom of the omega shape when they try to slip around and go into the entrance. Very rarely do any of them manage a straight shot to the entrance, though Soon I'll try a few reinforcements to make the entrance even harder for the hounds to get in.

With the dogs trapped there I can usually coax them out one or two at a time. On the rare occasion that I get overwhelmed, I can kite them to nearby pigmen or beefalo, and they do the bulk of the dirty work for me.

If walling yourself in is too tricky/difficult, it's not too hard to fight the Hounds:

1) Let one get close, and once it pauses to try to bite you, run! Using WASD to run is a strongly recommended: since you can't accidentally click on something when using WASD, there is no chance that your character will stop to examine something you clicked on instead of fleeing like they're supposed to.

2) After the failed bite, they will stand still and spend about 5 seconds panting and/or barking, at which point you can...

3) Spam-click them to death with a Spear or Tentacle Spike.

It's worked well for me, at any rate.